Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2011, 05:20 PM   #1

Glitches in the new camper

We just returned from a 9 night camping trip, covering 4 camp grounds in Ohio and Michigan -- our second camping trip. Here's a little of what came up along the way ....

Loose valve cores in the valve stems. Tires on the RV kept losing pressure! A trip to Walmart for an electric pump, and later to NAPA for a valve stem core tool and new cores (just in case) solved the problem.

During a heaving downpour, water leaked in through the air conditioner. The camper is a Swift model, so the AC is side, not top mounted. No other leaks occurred during light rain. I'll have to watch it and see if it was a fluke, or a constant problem.

Black water gauge inaccurate. Fluctuating between empty and full without much rhyme or reason. I know leveling matters, and some of the problem was from the previously mentioned tire issues can change the level enough to throw off the gauges, but even after being fixed, the black water tank was still inconsistent.

The whole family is still very pleased with the camper, and we had an AWESOME trip!!!! Just wanted to post some issues to see if there is any feedback out there.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
Site Team

The black water level indicators are notorious for being inaccurate. This is a very common problem and quite frankly I do not rely on it. I`m not familiar with side mounted ac units but the top mounted ones have had some issues with loose mounting bolts causing leaks. The valves leaking, I can`t explain that one, must have been defective? Glad you had a good trip.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:06 PM   #3

Just bear with it! It will be better next trip out.
82corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:05 AM   #4

The best gauge for the black tank is just looking down the hole when you flush. I find any of them most accurate when the tanks have not been used for a while. Seems like any time you use them water spashes on the sensors and they are not right.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:04 AM   #5

It's good to hear your trip was mostly good!

I haven't noted any unusual pressure issues with the tires (yet).

Our 145RB has the same AC arrangement. I've wondered if it would leak during a good soaking since from inside you can see small areas of light coming in from around the mounting. If it's happening to roof mounted units, you know its going to happen when it's hung on the side. Now I know what to expect.

The monitor panel is more or less useless. We use the following rule of thumb for capacities:

battery - water level should be checked frequently and it should be charged often

fresh water - full when it overflows and empty when nothing comes out of a tap

grey water - full when the drains overflow

black water - full when visually seen to be when flushing

I refuse to let that panel drive me nuts.

Cheers!
mrnoyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:46 AM   #6

[QUOTE=etothepii;26589]We just returned from a 9 night camping trip, covering 4 camp grounds in Ohio and Michigan -- our second camping trip. Here's a little of what came up along the way ..

Black water gauge inaccurate. Fluctuating between empty and full without much rhyme or reason. I know leveling matters, and some of the problem was from the previously mentioned tire issues can change the level enough to throw off the gauges, but even after being fixed, the black water tank was still inconsistent.

Agree with others, black tank gauges are usually always inaccurate. Several solutions have been tried: Fill tank completly up before empty. Never travel with anything in black tank. After tank emptied, put some water in tank before leaving campground. Add bag of ice cubes also. Put water softner or powdered clothes wash detergent in tank, get some kind of tank flusher. Have tried several and none seem to work all the time. Best is to have an onboard tank flusher which comes with your rig (not all manufacturers put them on).
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #7
Site Team

Does anyone have a pic of the side mounted AC? Is it a different unit then roof mounted? I can`t remember seeing one.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #8

Here's the inside view.

I had a thought. The tire that was leaking worst was on the door side of the camper, and the AC is on the opposite side. So if pressure was down at the time of the storm, then the resulting slant, combined with the huge amount of rain and the wind, could account for the leak.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
Site Team

Thanks for the pic. That looks similar to a residential window unit, completely different then the roof units.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:33 PM   #10

That's just a window unit. It has to be setting with e outside sloped down a little for condensate to drain. If the AC is slanted forward, the water runs into the trailer.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:54 PM   #11

Photos 2 and 3 of 26 show the wall mounted ac, both interior and exterior views. It's pretty slim. http://www.whitehorserv.com/2011-jay...ed-NJ-i259673#
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:34 PM   #12

We had the same valve-core problem with our 154. Sounds like a tire-manufacturing problem....
BTCohosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #13

The only gauge that is correct on that panel is the battery!!
I drain all my tank after every camp outing, black and gray at the pits and fresh as I go down my road to my house and in my drive.

2011 Jayco Jayflight 22FB
2004 Ford F-150 5.4 Triton, K&N FIPK, Magna-flow muffler
Big Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:18 PM   #14

I just installed the same air conditioner In our bedroom at home. It has a normal fin grill at the back. I have never seen one of these in a RV before. I can see why they do it though. They cost a hundred dollars to purchase. The instructions say to have a quarter inch slope to allow the water to drain outside.
If it were me, I would level the trailer and just have it a tiny bit higher on the wall opposite the air conditioner. Oddly enough the one I have says not to install it through a wall. I think the reason for this was to protect the company from lawsuits. The manual was about 7 pages long. The first five pages had to deal with safety precautions. One page devoted to installation and operation and the last page service centers.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:05 PM   #15

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but DW purchased some allery tabs from Costco. Entire label, 90% anyway, is devoted to safety precautions. There are NO directions for use! Don't know if it's one in four hours, 12 hourse.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote