Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 03:59 PM   #1

Global warming

I was thinking that this weekend and into next week would be a great time to discuss global warming. Thoughts or comments? ~CA
Old 02-12-2021, 04:22 PM   #2

Let's talk in August when it's 115 outside

Some interesting charts in Wiki:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_temperature_record
Old 02-12-2021, 04:25 PM   #3

Political nonsense and I won't get involved......

Old 02-12-2021, 04:34 PM   #4

I won't get involved in politics either, that wasn't my intention with this post and not necessary whatsoever. So many people turn everything into politics including the weather.

However, I was thinking about the weather as here in North Texas we are going to have the coldest spell of weather in over 30 years, and perhaps more so as the forecast gets updated. We are looking at -5 on Monday with ~-35 windchill and record snowfall amounts along with near blizzard conditions.

I hope everyone is prepared as I understand this cold snap is occurring over most of the U.S.

~CA
Old 02-12-2021, 05:08 PM   #5
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I won't get involved in politics either, that wasn't my intention with this post and not necessary whatsoever. So many people turn everything into politics including the weather.

However, I was thinking about the weather as here in North Texas we are going to have the coldest spell of weather in over 30 years, and perhaps more so as the forecast gets updated. We are looking at -5 on Monday with ~-35 windchill and record snowfall amounts along with near blizzard conditions.

I hope everyone is prepared as I understand this cold snap is occurring over most of the U.S.

~CA

Pretty hard to develop a theory on one cold snap. We had the second hottest summer on record last summer. Basically talking about it and really studying it are two different subjects all together.

Old 02-12-2021, 05:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Pretty hard to develop a theory on one cold snap. We had the second hottest summer on record last summer. Basically talking about it and really studying it are two different subjects all together.
I think we all agree that the climate has been changing and continues to change, I have been researching climate changes related to the solar changes and cycles and the effects those changes have on our climate, very interesting science for sure.

In any case, I wasn't trying to generate any comments on politics as that wasn't even on my mind, nor really trying to conclude with any deep theory based on any individual event, so if this thread heads that way I will delete it if I can or ask for it to be deleted.

I will say that I believe that the last ice age (all ice ages), and the changes with the earth's magnetic strength along with the long and short term solar cycles all come into play and I know that there is science that indicates that these changes have occurred over and over for many thousands of years and can in fact occur very rapidly (not referencing this single current cold snap).

~CA
Old 02-12-2021, 05:27 PM   #7
CAG

One item you might research along with the others is the switching of the poles, which has occurred a number of times over the life of the planet and some believe has begun to happen now. I never see anything connecting this to climate but it seems reasonable. There is considerable worry about the global GPS system as the switch takes place, if it is.

Old 02-12-2021, 05:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Problem is that temps have only be recorded for the last 140 years or so. in 1934 175 people died in Cincy due to the heat in July. About a million years ago the whole planet was covered with ice, so yes the globe is warming and has been for a long long time. Off my soap box......

"Hadley Centre has some measurements beginning in 1850, but there are too few data before 1880 for scientists to estimate average temperatures for the entire planet."
Old 02-12-2021, 05:30 PM   #9

Climate changes everyday, it’s been doing it for eons and will continue to do it for eons to come
Wineguard G3 portable sat system & H24 receiver
2013 Harley Triglide
2 Yorkies
Old 02-12-2021, 05:33 PM   #10

Been changing at least since the last ice age.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:38 PM   #11

Yes indeed, in fact the location of the magnetic poles has been measured to be moving at an ever increasing rate, along with the overall strength of the earth's magnetism diminishing much faster than ever recorded. I keep up with a lot of this at spaceweather.com and a few other websites. There is a lot of science from highly qualified scientist (even from NASA) that shows a correlation with all of these changes having an effect on everything from our power grids, to earthquakes, to hurricanes, and overall changes in the earth's climate including what I suspect is happening now called a polar vortex (I haven't verified that they are calling this outbreak a polar vortex, however I suspect it is). ~CA
Old 02-12-2021, 05:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Problem is that temps have only be recorded for the last 140 years or so. in 1934 175 people died in Cincy due to the heat in July. About a million years ago the whole planet was covered with ice, so yes the globe is warming and has been for a long long time. Off my soap box......

"Hadley Centre has some measurements beginning in 1850, but there are too few data before 1880 for scientists to estimate average temperatures for the entire planet."
Actually the last ice age was about 12,000 years ago known as the "younger dryas" and came to a very fast end (fast in science times... I think it was a thousand years or so for the entire period, but the end was believed to only take decades), and there is fascinating science based on ice core samples in the antarctic and greenland that indicates that these cycles occur roughly every 12,000... which means we are close, however a thousand years give or take is a very long time compared to how long a person lives. Similar to what they say about Yellowstone, could occur any time, or thousands of years from now.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:59 PM   #13
CAG

As well as the long overdue "big one" along the San Andreas.

Interesting for several decades it was pretty easy to tell when bad winters were going to come along. Sun spot cycles are roughly 11 years apart and with a fair amount of regularity so were our bad winters. Lately I have not heard much about the cycle and weather although I did read that one of the strongest cycles is supposed to be upcoming.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:34 PM   #14
Site Team

Thread Closed
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Closed Thread