Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-13-2022, 11:14 AM   #1

Gnats!!!

We have a serious problem! We have been battling gnats by the hundreds. We have tried treating our tanks opening and closing them putting chemicals down the drains closing the drains caulking in areas that we thought might be allowing them in and we are still at a loss as to where the heck they are all coming from. I’m kind of wondering if, they are in our ceiling and maybe the air condensation from our air conditioning unit could be attracting them and offering a nesting ground for them? Or if the windows are just not sealed well enough in this RV that they are still finding their way in? And I promise I’m not exaggerating , when I say by the hundreds, I probably kill 100 a day between sticky traps flyswatter bug sprays. Smashing him with whatever lol. We do live in our Rv and are so frustrated with this. Any help advice you can give it would be greatly appreciated.
Robin & Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 12:46 PM   #2

Are they coming up from the waste tanks? They might be coming up from the sewer outside through your hose.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 12:49 PM   #3

Try disconnecting it and storing waste in your tanks and see if that calms them down. Bleach in your black tank will help too.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 05:23 PM   #4

Did you ever figure out what the issue was?? We have a brand new 5th wheel and are experiencing the same exact thing! We’ve been treating the drains for weeks and now think it must be the AC unit. Please get back to me if you figured it out!!
Mrose26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 07:55 PM   #5
RPR

Have you gone on line to see causes, get ideas on how to control and get rid of them. There is more than one cause that attracts them.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 08:00 PM   #6

Yes, we’ve literally tried EVERYTHING and we can’t figure out where they are coming from. We have done the vinegar and baking soda and now we’re on day 5 on the gnat drain killer but they are still appearing even with all the drains shut. So that’s why I asked if you ever figured out what the issue was with your situation to see if it might help us navigate a different theory lol
Old 06-02-2023, 08:49 PM   #7
RPR

Gnats come from the outside. They are so small the do not need much of an opening to get in. Different types are attracted to different things. On type is attracted to decomposed things like in sewer lines. One type is attracted to moisture and the decomposing roots of house plants. Another to food like fruit. Have you put a bug zapper outside? In Southern states big problem with the mosquito swarmers that are attracted to light at night in May.
Old 06-02-2023, 09:08 PM   #8

We have not tried a bug zapper outside but inside we have a zapper. We also do not leave out fruit or vegetable and trash is taken out every morning and every night. We think they could be coming through our AC unit on top of the roof but it’s a new trailer so we don’t know don’t really understand how
Old 06-02-2023, 09:12 PM   #9
RPR

They can come through an opening that a piece of paper will not slide through. Brand new trailer or house it does not matter.

Tags
#gnats #pleasehelp