Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-27-2016, 06:40 PM   #1

Good deal on Champion generator

Champion Blackout Generator : Cabela's

I've got one on the way.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:41 PM   #2

It looks like you found the Deal of the Day at Cabelas.
It's $100 more at Costco and has many good reviews.

Let us know when you receive it and how it works out for you.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
It looks like you found the Deal of the Day at Cabelas.
It's $100 more at Costco and has many good reviews.

Let us know when you receive it and how it works out for you.
Will do.
I'd been looking at the yellow one without wheels.
Just missed a good price on one at tractor supply.
This one hit just right for the bank account.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:51 AM   #4

The generator at Cabelas is not an inverter generator so it is going to be louder than the Champion 3100I.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:07 AM   #5

No problem.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:11 PM   #6

Started break in today.
Not too loud from a distance.
Ran various hand tools with hardly noticeable drag on the engine.
No load voltage held at 118 per fluke voltmeter.
Plugged in a 2hp air compressor.
Start up pulled down to108 for a split second then ran at 119+ under load.
I've got home receptacles that won't start this compressor.
So far, I'm really happy.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:33 PM   #7

I used to hear it said and written that if you were going to run "sensitive electronics" - which included pretty much anything with a plug - you had to have an inverter generator.

And having spend most of my career in technology, including replacing more PC power supplies than I can count, I understand.

But lately I've seen more and more generators advertized as having stable enough power for "sensitive electronics" including this one.

I'm quite sure that a good inverter is always best. But they are also always much more expensive. And it appears that generator technology has made some leaps in just the last couple of years.

Any experience out there if Forum Land with running RV electronics and AC off the newer generation of non-inverter generators?
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:33 AM   #8

Vaquero - Any update on how your Champion has been performing?

Just returned from a 5 day NYE Camping trip. 5 families in TT, 4 of us run Honda EU2000i and one has a new Champion 2800/3100 from Costco. I was really looking forward to a multi-day real like Champion vs Honda Comparison, as I have been thinking hard about selling my eu2000i and picking up the Champion from Costco.

Unfortunately the Champion wouldn't start. It was a family Christmas present, which on the day before our trip was oiled, fueled and ran for a couple hours at idle and with a load without issue. Wouldn't you know, on the trip it wouldn't start. Almost felt like the engine had seized. The electric start wouldn't turn it over and pulling the cord was nearly impossible.

Champion Customer Service was very helpful, but ultimately that generator is being replaced. I am sure this unit was an anomaly, as if this was a frequent occurrence we would hear all about it on the forums.

Needless to say, as much as I have considered selling my Honda 2000 for the Champion 2800/3100 to have AC capability, I'll be keeping the Honda for a while until I started to see more Champion's in use in the CG where I can hear them and speak to the owner.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:51 AM   #9

I haven't used it for the TT yet.
For various chores at the farm it has performed very well.
1st pull starts. Running air compressor, battery charger and power tools.
I'm hoping to get some boondocking in after February. I'm in an RV park for work until then.

Checking the voltage under load with a fluke voltmeter, it shows 119V running the 2hp rated compressor.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
I used to hear it said and written that if you were going to run "sensitive electronics" - which included pretty much anything with a plug - you had to have an inverter generator.

And having spend most of my career in technology, including replacing more PC power supplies than I can count, I understand.

But lately I've seen more and more generators advertized as having stable enough power for "sensitive electronics" including this one.

I'm quite sure that a good inverter is always best. But they are also always much more expensive. And it appears that generator technology has made some leaps in just the last couple of years.

Any experience out there if Forum Land with running RV electronics and AC off the newer generation of non-inverter generators?
BuddyRay, my family are really into hunting and boondocking (either no campgrounds or dry/no hookup campgrounds). Back in 2000 when I lived in Northern Nevada, I picked up a Makita 5500 generator. I still have it today, and use it as a back up for my house. I purchased an inverter generator about a year and a half ago, but up until then I used that 5500 for my RV(s). I have run my laptops, and charged phones and anything else without an ever having an issue back when I lived in my 5er. I suppose, I have been lucky. Then again, I have never plugged any electronic appliances directly into the generator, I have always used the outlets in the RV (which means the generator power went the RV's electrical system). Meanwhile when I use this generator for back up at the house (I have had my main household power inlet/breaker box at the meter, wired with a interrupt and plug in for the 220v 50amp plug on the generator so that both poles inside the household circuit breaker box are live; just like they are when power is working normally) I also have never had a problem with any of the electronic devices in the household. Again, maybe I have been lucky. Then again, I am a firm believer in surge protection power strips.

Pretty much the only reason I picked up an inverter generator for the RV was because of the size and weight. Here in Alaska, I have never used the A/C, and we don't use the television or take computers camping. So it is used mainly just to keep the batteries topped when we go out longer than a weekend.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:42 PM   #11

Sold out
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:04 PM   #12

Good deal on Champion generator

I have a Champion similar to the one in the link that I got at Tractor Supply on sale before our big trip earlier this year.

Out of the box (after adding oil and fresh fuel), it started right up on a half- pull of the cord. I wasn't standing (I was sitting cross-legged on the ground next to the unit) and didn't get a really good pull on it and didn't expect it to start, but it turned right over and revved right up. I was honestly surprised, and delighted.

I ran it through the break-in process as outlined in the manual. I then tested it on my trailer AC system, and it ran just fine. The genny hiccuped a little when the AC kicked on, but really it wasn't any worse than when I start a saw or my vacuum or my air compressor (all of which it runs with absolute ease).

So far, I have really only used it on the TT "in the wild" once, and that was so we could make coffee (Keurig) in a WM parking lot. I did not need to run the AC at that time. I haven't had a good opportunity to test it running the AC and the rest of the TT systems long-term. I'm hoping to get that chance this summer, perhaps at the beach. But I have no doubt it will do just fine.

I have used it a few times to run a reciprocating saw at the far corners of my property. It was actually easier to fire up the genny and haul it out there on my garden cart than it was to find the 3 extension cords I would need to daisy-chain together to reach. Worked like a Champ (pun partially intended). This Spring, my dad and I will likely use it to power some saws and drills out at the deer lease while working on a rebuild of our blind, and I'm confident it will not let us down.

Sure, it's not as quiet as an inverter, but it will work well for my purposes. According to a decibel meter app on my phone, it would not pass the Forest Service test. But for the money I paid, and how I'll use it, it's well worth it IMO.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Unfortunately the Champion wouldn't start.

Champion Customer Service was very helpful, but ultimately that generator is being replaced. I am sure this unit was an anomaly, as if this was a frequent occurrence we would hear all about it on the forums.
Starting has never been an issue with mine, we all know mass production can create the bad, generator, car, TT, 5W, etc. The customer service is stepping up to fix the issue, what more can you ask for these days.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:54 PM   #14

I bought 2 2000 watt Champion inverter generators at Cabelas when they were on sale during Christmas. I then bought the connector from Amazon that allows you to pair them and also provides a 30 amp "RV" plug connection.

They are almost as quiet as the Honda and powered my AC in the trailer.

The cost for all was about $850. I'm satisfied.
2 spoiled rotten Scotties
skymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:42 PM   #15

Now Sam's Club has the same unit in dual fuel for $299.00

Kinda wish I'd waited.
Anyway. We're planning on a couple of days at Guadalupe Mountains NP next week.
Finally give the generator a true test.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquero View Post
Now Sam's Club has the same unit in dual fuel for $299.00

Kinda wish I'd waited.
Anyway. We're planning on a couple of days at Guadalupe Mountains NP next week.
Finally give the generator a true test.
I saw the same genny at Sam's this weekend and kinda "kicked" myself a little. Not that I think I would use it on propane often, but it would sure be nice to have the option.

Would you mind doing a writeup of your experience at Guadalupe Mtns NP? I think that's going to be one of our stops next year on our way to Grand Canyon, and I'd like to see how you did.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I saw the same genny at Sam's this weekend and kinda "kicked" myself a little. Not that I think I would use it on propane often, but it would sure be nice to have the option.

Would you mind doing a writeup of your experience at Guadalupe Mtns NP? I think that's going to be one of our stops next year on our way to Grand Canyon, and I'd like to see how you did.
Will do.