Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2015, 08:29 AM   #1

Good RV GPS or website to plan trip

I am leaving in a week to go from NJ to florida for 2 weeks.I am looking for something that will assist us along the way but cant find to find anything for a RV, it mostly just for car's.Im mostly trying to avoid Chesapeake Bridge and tunnel cause it's a 50/50 shot of getting stuck with winds and id like to just go around it.I did join Good Sams but for the 3 months I have been a member the route planner they offer has been broke on their end and it's still not fixed.So does anyone have a website they use,or what are some descent RV GPS units that are pretty reliable

2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 314BHDS

IBEW local 94 Electrical Worker
314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:20 AM   #2

You sure it's not your end? I have used the GS trip planner extensively over the past few months without issue. Are you referring to trips.goodsamclub.com?
jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:27 AM   #3

For comments on GPS and related apps, please also check threads for:
Routes: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...g-29179-3.html
RV Apps: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...pps-28609.html
Is There an App for that: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f2...app-26582.html

Of interest, there are vendors of RV and TRUCKER GPS, check-out Rand McNally for example.

I also use the Good Sam Trip planner mentioned in the previous post - I like planning-in Highway Rest Stops and finding restaurants.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncw View Post
You sure it's not your end? I have used the GS trip planner extensively over the past few months without issue. Are you referring to trips.goodsamclub.com?
Yes I tried 3 different computer and my cell phone,when I was on the phone with them they tried to log into my account and had the same issue.So id still have to say it's on their end

Old 08-05-2015, 09:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
For comments on GPS and related apps, please also check threads for:
Routes: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...g-29179-3.html
RV Apps: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...pps-28609.html
Is There an App for that: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f2...app-26582.html

Of interest, there are vendors of RV and TRUCKER GPS, check-out Rand McNally for example.

I also use the Good Sam Trip planner mentioned in the previous post - I like planning-in Highway Rest Stops and finding restaurants.
Thanks,for some reason when I searched for this on my phone I didn't get any results

Old 08-05-2015, 09:33 AM   #6

I used the Good Sam trip planner just 3 weeks ago to plan a trip. It does not work properly with Firefox, but it does work with Internet Explorer. In fact I just used it to see if it was working and it works for me.

Garmin and Magellan both make GPS units specifically for RV's. Garmin offers trip planning software that works with their gps unit that you can down load the trip to the gps from your computer.

I lived in the Norfolk area for a while and never heard of an issue with wind on the Chesapeake Bridge tunnel. Now the Bay Bridge in Annapolis is a different matter with regard to wind.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 314BHDS View Post
Thanks,for some reason when I searched for this on my phone I didn't get any results
Hmm, before I post any links, I always preview the post and test them. Again, I just now confirmed the 4 links work as I planned on both my PC and iPad (I never try it on my phone ... not enough viewing space). However, good luck!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
Hmm, before I post any links, I always preview the post and test them. Again, I just now confirmed the 4 links work as I planned on both my PC and iPad (I never try it on my phone ... not enough viewing space). However, good luck!
Sorry your links worked fine,I meant when I searched for GPS units or route planning it came up with no results on my phone
Old 08-05-2015, 09:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
I used the Good Sam trip planner just 3 weeks ago to plan a trip. It does not work properly with Firefox, but it does work with Internet Explorer. In fact I just used it to see if it was working and it works for me.

Garmin and Magellan both make GPS units specifically for RV's. Garmin offers trip planning software that works with their gps unit that you can down load the trip to the gps from your computer.

I lived in the Norfolk area for a while and never heard of an issue with wind on the Chesapeake Bridge tunnel. Now the Bay Bridge in Annapolis is a different matter with regard to wind.
Im using internet explorer,i don't know what the issue is,they logged in with my username and password from customer service and it didn't work for them. Im just going by what I had read on some sites about people having to pull over and wait for the wind to die down,they clearly state it on the website also about wind restrictions.But I also found out you can go thru the tunnel with propane cylinders as long as they are under certain requirements and OFF

Old 08-06-2015, 06:00 AM   #10

I'm in the market for a new GPS, and I'm presently looking at a new Garmin GPS, the RV660LMT. It looks like it will do everything I need. Link to the web site is below.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...rod524447.html

Hope this helps.

Pawpaw

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:07 PM   #11

Garmin GPS

I use the Garmin RV unit and it has been great. You build profiles inside the GPS and it plans your routes based on vehicle dimensions and driving preferences. I have three profiles in mine 1) Motorhome + Toad 2) Motorhome alone 3) Toad alone.

Since switching to this unit I have been far more comfortable on drives where I am in parts unknown. When I was towing a smaller rig I did not mind what my family referred to as "Our GPS Adventures", we got to see some parts of North America that we otherwise never would have travelled. Now with a Big Rig that I cannot reverse (without disconnecting the toad) I prefer avoiding the adventures that take me off the main routes.

With the Motorhome + toad profile turned on the Garmin GPS keeps me on the main highways, it knows bridge hieghts so no fear of sheering off my A/C and it knows my width so no narrow bridges to contend with. I also like that it gives me clear visuals of upcoming lane changes showing me exactly what lane to be in... I have found a few States where the local engineers were clearly into the Moonshine before they planned some of the highways and byways

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote