Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2015, 07:33 PM   #1

Good Sam Roadside Non-Assistance Update

Reference my previous post several weeks ago on this subject, this is an update. It has now been 7 weeks since our two tire blowouts on I-64 near Charlottesville, VA, when we were left stranded for 2 days by Good Sam Roadside Assistance, and totally forgotten by their dispatcher. To date, we have been promised a free year of GSRA as compensation by GS executive Rashid Hunter, but that hasn't happened. No new card, no letters, no nothing.

And then there is the subject of our damage claim with Good Sam/National General Insurance Co for the damage to the trailer. It, too, is now 7 weeks old, and today we received an email thanking us for submitting the claim, and assuring us that they "genuinely care". But don't reply to the email, etc. etc. Other than a renewal bill, that is all we have heard from GSRA in 7 weeks, despite several phone calls requesting claim status.

I have two questions for my fellow Jayco owners out there:

1. This is our first attempt in 13 years' membership to use GSRA, and it has been a nightmare so far. But is it normal to wait 7 weeks or more just to get an RV insurance claim estimate from an insurance co ? We're not talking actual repairs or claim payment here - we're still waiting to hear what the company is willing to cover and pay.

2. Obviously, we are VERY disillusioned with Good Sam, and are looking to take our business elsewhere, once this nightmare is finally resolved. We would like to hear from anyone out there that has had good actual experiences with another company, for RV membership, RV roadside assistance, and RV insurance.

We thank you in advance for any comments you may care to make.

Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:46 PM   #2

7 weeks is unacceptable for an insurance claim. Contact your state's insurance department to seek their assistance. https://www.scc.virginia.gov/publicf...63/pc_fill.pdf
Jayson 197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:40 PM   #3

I would handle it a little different than you. I would have been on the phone almost everyday trying to get this resolved. I would walk up the ladder until I got some somebody responsible and let the feathers fly. You are paying money for a service and are not getting the service. Not a good thing.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:17 PM   #4

We've had to use GSRA only once in the three years we've been members. We got a flat on I-5 in Los Angeles in heavy traffic. The dispatcher told us it would be a two hour wait - I of course, complained about the danger with such heavy traffic. The dispatcher had assistance to us in 30 minutes. I would suggest being a little demanding.
WhiteHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:05 PM   #5

Maybe a post regarding your dilemma on their facebook page would get their attention:

https://www.facebook.com/TheGoodSamClub

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:15 PM   #6

Just read irv2 and Rv.net websites. Full of the same problems.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:51 AM   #7
Site Team

I have used GSRS for many years and have had good service. It seems that the insurance and the road service is not the same but still no excuse for that type of delay.

I would be a lot louder than you have reported about my disillusionment with both services. This a good place to vent but direct phone calls will get attention of people who can actually do something IMO.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:08 AM   #8

All road service providers have issues. I can tell you from personal experience that AAA is no better. At least with GSRA it's one club. AAA is separate state clubs and a national club. All with different plans and rules. And the state clubs don't play nice with the national club. In fact they are very happy to verbally bash the other when on the phone with customers.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:08 AM   #9

I signed up for GSRA this spring but luckily have had no need for it. I have never had an issue with AAA for my vehicles. GSRA had some features AAA didn't offer for campers so I am trying them out. I'll be watching this post - keep us in the loop.
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:10 AM   #10

We've made 4 calls to GSRS, 3 went very well and one was very poor tho not on the epic scale you are experiencing.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote