Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2022, 08:02 PM   #1

Good time to sell?

We have been thinking about selling our 32 bhds and going with a fifth wheel. I know it is a good time to sell, but not sure about the right time to buy. I am just afraid the values will begin to drop and currently it is worth more than we paid for it. We also have a 1 ton diesel that we don't necessarily need. We, again, have a ton of equity in it. My mind is seeing the cash we would end up with and able to put that away for retirement or kid's college. We also can downsize now as well, due to kids getting older and graduating. Ugh, decisions! Thanks for letting me vent.
tmclaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 07:23 AM   #2

If I were considering it, now would be the time. All opinion here. I’m no economist. With fuel prices/other necessities continuing to rise, and the scary part of Covid having ended, I see the RV hobby becoming less appealing to many. Also, I think we have a recession on the horizon. That’s when the buying part may be good if you decided to dive back in.

My local Jayco dealer has more towable units on the lot than I’ve seen in a long time. Pre pandemic. The drivable units are still slim, but I attribute that to people not wanting to order a $90K TV and then wait 6 months to a year for it.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:47 AM   #3

It's a lot like buying/selling stocks. No one really knows, but I agree that now is the time. If you are willing to take this summer off, you can sell now and wait until prices come down.
Oogie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:55 AM   #4

I would add that if you are going to sell, do it now. The reason is that regardless of other conditions, more people are in the market for boats and RV's in the spring time and early summer creating a huge demand for RV's during that timeframe, and that demand diminishes in the summer leading into the fall and winter. At this time there may be little demand in the near future and that reduced demand could certainly last into next year's prime RV season due to fuel prices and other similar concerns (ie: inflation). ~CA
Old 06-17-2022, 09:24 AM   #5

I would put it on the market now. With interest rates rising rapidly the list of qualified buyers will shrink just as rapidly. IMHO!
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 11:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmclaren View Post
We have been thinking about selling our 32 bhds and going with a fifth wheel. I know it is a good time to sell, but not sure about the right time to buy. I am just afraid the values will begin to drop and currently it is worth more than we paid for it. We also have a 1 ton diesel that we don't necessarily need. We, again, have a ton of equity in it. My mind is seeing the cash we would end up with and able to put that away for retirement or kid's college. We also can downsize now as well, due to kids getting older and graduating. Ugh, decisions! Thanks for letting me vent.
Now would be a good time. Your unit will sell for more right now. Interest rates are going up so you want to get in before they get higher. I have been watching videos on the industry that indicate 5th wheels are the models that are being traded back more than other types at the moment so you might be able to get a great deal on a very lightly used unit. Just my observations.
fnlvr234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 04:11 PM   #7

Great time to sell, horrific time to buy. If you are willing to take a year off, it could be perfect for you.

I think reality is going to catch up with a lot of folks in the next year as interest rates climb and artificially inflated home values come back down towards sustainable.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote