Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-11-2018, 12:54 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
Thanks God for everybody around that they arent for rated for 95 MPH
That would be beyond the speed limit. You're hilarious!

Funny how everyone gets all weird about how people follow the speed limit when they want to ignore it and drive slow but want people to follow the rules/law on everything else. NIMBY rules I suppose.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:11 PM   #42

Hummmm there is basically no speed limit in your neck of wood !!.... speed limit ... is the limit , not the speed that you have to drive at .... and since you come from Wasaga beach ( nice place ) I know that you know like i know because I lived 9 years in Barrie that a speed limit on highway 400 is a suggestion not even a limit, not even a recommendation.... even in winter ....trailer or not ...This part of Ontario produced millions of Lewis Hamilton going up and down this highway :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
That would be beyond the speed limit. You're hilarious!

Funny how everyone gets all weird about how people follow the speed limit when they want to ignore it and drive slow but want people to follow the rules/law on everything else. NIMBY rules I suppose.

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:11 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
Hummmm there is basically no speed limit in your neck of wood !!.... speed limit ... is the limit , not the speed that you have to drive at .... and since you come from Wasaga beach ( nice place ) I know that you know like i know because I lived 9 years in Barrie that a speed limit on highway 400 is a suggestion not even a limit, not even a recommendation.... even in winter ....trailer or not ...This part of Ontario produced millions of Lewis Hamilton going up and down this highway :-)
Not sure what your issue is. I said I haul my trailer at the speed limit. From everywhere I've driven to date the maximum I've seen posted is 75mph. In Canada it's 100kmph. Those are the numbers I travel at if road conditions and traffic permit. My equipment is rated to that speed. If you want to drive on the 400 highways at 80kmph because of your equipment limits then go ahead. I'm not chastising you for driving whatever speed you like so "moderator edit". If I want to drive fast I'll go to the track.

I don't drive the 400 out of Barrie either. Don't need to go to the city and if I do I'll take the back roads. I see you're from Montreal, worst place to drive I've ever been and I've driven in a lot of places. LOL
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:45 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
68. Keeps it in 6th for me and RPM low. Get passed a lot, but not so slow I get in the way. This is with Good Year Endurance.

Previous combos were different. Depends a lot on the cobo as someone else stated.
I agree completely. Was towing at 65 and kept dropping out of 6th gear. Went to 68 and stayed in 6th gear. Let work and heat on the transmission.
scidlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:06 PM   #45

I'm usually 60-65, slower depending on road conditions/weather.
Remember most trailer tires are only rated to 65mph.

As far at the posted speed limits, I've seen a few web sites including AAA, RV, government (federal and state) there is quite a bit of difference in each state speed limits while trailering. Some say posted speed limit, some 65 unless posted says higher, some 65, 60 etc. I would go with the DOT for that individual state (but I'm still keeping to not more than 65 due to my tire rating)

And if you up your tire load/speed rating, make sure your rims/wheels can handle it. My stock rims can only handle a load range E tire, if I go to a G, I have to get new rims. (info is supposed to be stamped on the rim, usually on the back side and the max load rating in lbs)
Old 07-11-2018, 06:03 PM   #46

The point is, 75 mph is irresponsible in a tow rig.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:18 AM   #47

65 MPH, weather and conditions permitting.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:02 AM   #48

100 is fine. Over 100 is not
KPH
We have to be aware of limits.. Going into Ontario many are not ; which is why there are instructional signs.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:43 PM   #49

Open road interstate speed is 68-72, truck just hums along at that speed and yes I have both tires and rims for up to 87 MPH, now that's "ludicrous speed". I have punched 80 but it was to shake a dumb a@@ 4 wheeler that drove at my speed on my six, if I speeded up slightly so would this "person", slow down a little same thing and I was in the fast lane. I freaking hate that. I slowly caught up to him pulled out to go around he became a bumper sticker.
TheB2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:35 PM   #50

Interesting read on the different points and opinions. If your vehicle (TV, Trailer, MH, etc.) are set up and can handle higher speeds, and the particular state that you are in allows towing at whatever speed, then it's an individual choice at what speed you want to drive.

The only thing I ask, is to please stay off my trailer's rear bumper, as you are not going to scare or bully me into going much faster than 62mph. That's what I set my cruise control at and that is the speed I feel more comfortable and safe at.

But on 2 lane highways, I will move over as far as I safely can to the right, so you have a better view of the road in front of me so you can pass me when there is a chance of doing so without killing everyone around you.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:22 PM   #51

Isn't this thread dead yet?

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:11 PM   #52

62 mph is the best speed and you remain in control with stable towing. It doesn’t bother me having people passing me on the left. I am not obstructing traffic in the right lane. I rarely have to pass at this speed.

Jeff and Deidra
2015 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate
2014 Heartland Cyclone 3110 Toyhauler
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
jeffdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:56 PM   #53

About same size and I tow st 60 mph.
stevebarbsmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:17 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
A direct result of too much speed and this guy ran out of talent very quickly and very unexpectedly. He thought he was a Formula 1-level driver too.

Thanks for posting and your comment is astute. A video is worth a thousand words.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:25 PM   #55

I’m a go slow and enjoy life more kinda guy. If you compare arrival times 10 mph doesn’t really add up to much “saved” time but as pointed out already it means huge differences in ability to avoid a wreck. Furthermore at 57 mph I get nearly 11 mpg but at 62 mph it drops to 9 mpg. Sure I get passed all the time but who cares. I try not to hold up traffic if on 2 lane highways.
GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:27 PM   #56

We have a Silverado 3500 HD with a Pinnacle 5th Wheel and have found that the best highway speed between 60 to 65 mph.
usafdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:22 PM   #57

Speed

I drive an F-250 pulling a Jayco 339-FLQS. I keep the speed at 60. No hurry to blow a tire or some other mishap
JanetH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:47 PM   #58

The best kept secret of RV travel is that getting there is half the fun. Might as well enjoy the ride. I get the concept that when you only have Friday evening to Sunday evening, you have to make the best use of the time. I did that for many years while traveling to the desert 3 hours or so to spend the weekend with our motorcycle club. We are now in a position to have a motorhome instead of a pickup and trailer, and we pull a toad, and are looking forward to grandkids soon. Neither of us are retired yet, but we really do look forward to loading some little humans into the motorhome and all the fun associated with seeing the countryside with them. Almost doesn't matter where or how far. Not much sense in risking a crash like the one above, just because of the feeling we absolutely had to get there right now.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:15 PM   #59

We learned recently (no cost in the education) that here in washington, combinations, i.e. our truck and 24' trailer, have to obey the truck speed limit of 60 or 65mph. I didn't ask re motorhomes, though I kind of wish I had.
paul42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:02 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul42 View Post
We learned recently (no cost in the education) that here in washington, combinations, i.e. our truck and 24' trailer, have to obey the truck speed limit of 60 or 65mph. I didn't ask re motorhomes, though I kind of wish I had.
Most states (not all) treat motorhomes the same as cars and pickup trucks, as long as they aren't towing anything, and as long as they aren't over a certain weight limit. Once they are towing, they are treated same as a pickup and trailer or 5th wheel. Anything towing in Ca, must obey the 55 limit. Everything else is anywhere from 65 to 70, depending on whether they are in town or out in the middle of nowhere.