Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2018, 08:45 PM   #61

Every state is different. But, most will clearly state on the signs what is required. Like California and the speed limit for towing anything. Or numbers of axles or total weight, etc. The few I have looked up (on their state websites) state that a 'truck' is a commercial tractor trailer rig. A pickup, whether towing or not, is not a truck, it is a passenger car. Some places if the pickup is for commercial use it becomes a 'truck'. If in doubt go to the state for clarification.

As to speeds, do what you are comfortable with. Know what the limits of your rig are. Except for the Goodyear Endurance tires, most trailer tires are rated for a max of 65mph. Would I tow at a faster speed? It depends. On a nice road with no wind and not much traffic I might go up to the speed limit if it is higher (yes, I have the Endurance tires). But, most of the time I am more comfortable at 65 or less.

Keep in mind that road condition dictates my speed more than almost anything else. There are many roads out there that running 55 is too much. Potholes, pavement breaks, asphalt patches, rain/wear grooves, etc all tend to make me reduce speed a bit.

Is your truck 'rated' for the speed limit when towing at max weights? Well, yes. Does not mean that is a safe speed all the time.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:06 PM   #62

Thank you dustdevil and Brennon for making the video available,
I have only seen the aftermath on I-82 and I-90
2010 Ram 3500 Crew SB 4x4 w/timbrens
Raceme tuning and some deletes
catzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:50 AM   #63

My Toyota owners manual states to "not exceed" 65MPH. Somewhere I saw the same recommendation from Jayco.
WCForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:27 AM   #64

I normally do 60mph tops.
Sandy5288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:11 AM   #65

Safe speeds with 27 foot Jay Feather 7 23rd

I use a Ram 1500 with short wheelbase with V8 Hemi 5.7. OEM TT Tires. I feel safe at 60 to 65 on rough and curvy and/or hilly highways. On flat level good roads 65 to 70 or so. No need to push the envelope and go as fast cars and regular traffic at 75 to 85 that is just reckless and asking for trouble.. I do not worry about holding traffic up they can pass and I use the low speed lanes when possible..better safe than sorry .. especially when a storm front moves in unexpectedly and high cross winds occur which has happened to me... easier to react and slow down to stop trailer sway. Good sway bars and load distribution hitch assembly is a must.. I have seen many bigger rigs with long wheel bases and dually tires pulling 5th wheels able to go much faster and semi trucks too ...all well and fine they can do that because of that set up and engineering but for me nope I am good with what I do and feel safe for me and others.
exsmokerme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:28 AM   #66

I like to keep it 62-64
Old 07-15-2018, 12:24 PM   #67

67 seems to be a sweet spot for my rig on the interstate. Set the cruise and ride. I don't pass very many but I get passed a lot.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:13 PM   #68

That is the hardest thing to deal with when moving to the TT life. Driving at 63 MPH and watching all the cars pass you by. As one that is used to doing 80 on the interstate it is somewhat frustrating. Also the constant attention. It's not like you're just driving along relaxed, you constantly have to adjust and keep your attention on the road. It is an adjustment but it is worth it in the end.

On that subject does anyone have an app that can be used to properly estimate travel times? All the apps and maps assume you will go the speed limit and of course you cannot when towing. I haven't found one that will let you set a top speed in the app.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:53 PM   #69

Venturi effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollander Mutthaulers View Post
Thanks for posting and your comment is astute. A video is worth a thousand words.
That venturi effect when passing or being passed by other trucks can be a beast. I know I have been sucked into the side of semis many times on the road.
bdc0765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:15 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
..... The few I have looked up (on their state websites) state that a 'truck' is a commercial tractor trailer rig. A pickup, whether towing or not, is not a truck, it is a passenger car. Some places if the pickup is for commercial use it becomes a 'truck'. If in doubt go to the state for clarification......

Thanks vcbice...
Another note, if it says "no commercial vehicles" even though you're not a commercial vehicle or truck....you might not want to take it, it might not be the weight restriction , might be the low overpasses on the road or tight turns.
And in upstate NY, pickup trucks use to be considered trucks, not passenger cars and not allowed on the parkways, we use to complain about it, now regular pickups can, but on the parkways some 250/2500 or 350/3500 aren't allowed there because of their weight.
As vcbice, check the rules in the state.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:21 PM   #71

California registers all pickups as commercial vehicles..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaw View Post
Thanks vcbice...
Another note, if it says "no commercial vehicles" even though you're not a commercial vehicle or truck....you might not want to take it, it might not be the weight restriction , might be the low overpasses on the road or tight turns.
And in upstate NY, pickup trucks use to be considered trucks, not passenger cars and not allowed on the parkways, we use to complain about it, now regular pickups can, but on the parkways some 250/2500 or 350/3500 aren't allowed there because of their weight.
As vcbice, check the rules in the state.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:23 PM   #72

63 mph for mostly flat and breezy winds.
Anything else, adjust accordingly.
Only time I approach 70 mph is downhill with a long climb in view.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:21 PM   #73

Okay this is kinda a loaded question. There is no magical speed that works for everyone. It all depends on you TT, TV, tires, and most of all on your personal comfort. Some guys go like a bat out of "Moderator edit " and some are so slow they endanger everyone around them. As a professional driver with over 1,000,000 safe miles in a tractor trailer, and 10,000 plus pulling TT's and 5th wheels. I would highly recommend you go as close to the speed of the flow of traffic as you feel safe going. Of course assuming your equipment is maintained improperly and your tires are under their max weights, in good repair and not exceeding the max speed they are rated for. I personally have a 2018 43 foot north point 5thwheel and a 2017 3500 HD duramax. My sweet spot on the truck is about 68 to 73. So I try to keep it right in there. Have I gone 80 plus with it? Yeah but I try not to make a habit of that. A lot can go wrong when your 60 feet long and 23,000 lbs going 80 pluse down the freeway. Some experience can get you out of the issues that come up and sometimes it doesn't matter you gonna get hurt. Just keep in pay attention to what's going on around you, take your time and if you ever drop below 50mph on the highway or 10mph below the posted limit. Make sure your 4 ways are on. And try to stay as far as you can to the right if not even over the fog line.
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:28 PM   #74

Usually most GPS Apps show time at current speed when you should arrive.
stevebarbsmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:59 PM   #75

x2..... only the original display of the route is based on the speed limit versus milleage...as soon as your wheels started to turn its based on actual speed and distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebarbsmn View Post
Usually most GPS Apps show time at current speed when you should arrive.

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:53 PM   #76

I tow an Eagle HT 29.5FBDS with a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins six-speed manual. Given good road and traffic conditions, I run about 65-67 mph. If road conditions deteriorate or traffic thickens, I slow down accordingly. I know from having to pass a speed up and slow down while swerving bozo that 75 "feels" okay, but I'm not comfortable towing that speed, particularly with my family in the truck. We're usually on vacation, so slow and steady wins our race.
DesertRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:37 AM   #77

60-63. Maybe 65 to pass a slow vehicle. Yes, many vehicles travel at less than 60 in 70 zones. I've never once felt unsafe. People simply pass us.

That said on really long trips I play a little game. I make a mental note of the vehicles that fly by me especially if they are towing trailers. Over the course of a given day I've been passed more than twice by many of the same vehicles. I've even been passed by the same vehicles the day after I saw them pass me.

My dad was an over the road trucker. When we started doing long road trips he told me the rule of thumb is plan 2 hours for every 100 miles on average.

So the reality is that even if you travel at 70 or 75 you don't really make all that much better time then driving slower. On a short trip maybe 20 minutes. On a long trip, maybe save an hour, probably less. And I've traveled both ways, towing at 62 mph for 15 hour days, and in just a car at 75 mph also for very long days. Yep, still 2 hours for 100 miles.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:56 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad5581 View Post
Okay this is kinda a loaded question. There is no magical speed that works for everyone. It all depends on you TT, TV, tires, and most of all on your personal comfort. Some guys go like a bat out of "Moderator edit " and some are so slow they endanger everyone around them. As a professional driver with over 1,000,000 safe miles in a tractor trailer, and 10,000 plus pulling TT's and 5th wheels. I would highly recommend you go as close to the speed of the flow of traffic as you feel safe going. Of course assuming your equipment is maintained improperly and your tires are under their max weights, in good repair and not exceeding the max speed they are rated for. I personally have a 2018 43 foot north point 5thwheel and a 2017 3500 HD duramax. My sweet spot on the truck is about 68 to 73. So I try to keep it right in there. Have I gone 80 plus with it? Yeah but I try not to make a habit of that. A lot can go wrong when your 60 feet long and 23,000 lbs going 80 pluse down the freeway. Some experience can get you out of the issues that come up and sometimes it doesn't matter you gonna get hurt. Just keep in pay attention to what's going on around you, take your time and if you ever drop below 50mph on the highway or 10mph below the posted limit. Make sure your 4 ways are on. And try to stay as far as you can to the right if not even over the fog line.
I'd say this is reasonable. Although, there are some who grossly overestimate their ability, and "feel comfortable" at 80 with a 30 year old half ton pickup with 305 cu in V8 pulling a 30,000 lb fifth wheel. I'm fairly certain that most big rigs are fully capable of pulling 50,000 lb loads with stability at higher speeds than the average F250 Power Stroke pulling a fifth wheel and an amateur at the wheel. When its your profession, you know a thing or two because you've seen a thing or two. My stepdad was a driver for Square D for years, and he was among the most cautious drivers I ever rode with. Even after he had long since retired. He had seen some horrible crashes, and lost a few friends who were quite the cowboys behind the wheel of their rigs. He had no interest in becoming a statistic.