Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2014, 07:35 PM   #1

Got a great spot booked for May Long

Not sure how the campground reservation systems work in the US and other provinces but here in Alberta this past Tuesday was the first day to start making reservations for the first weekend of the summer, May Long. It is always crazy to get a spot at any campground, the system overloads and crashes. There was myself, my wife, brother in law and sister in-law all logged on at 9:00am trying to get a couple good sites. We all got decent sites into our cart but the system would crash every time we would try and pay for them. It would then take 10 minutes to get back into the system...only for it to crash again, then repeat only to find out that the sites had expired. So frustrating!! But after over an hour my sister in-law managed to take two choice sites all the way to checkout. Now if the weather cooperates and it doesn't snow and there is not a fire ban it will have been worth it.

Does anyone else experience this with their state/province's reservation system?

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:24 PM   #2

I had the same problem, ended up going back latter in the afternoon and got a spot. We have had our sites booked for the summer in Idaho for a couple months now, just have to book BC now for the trip down, can't do that till the 15th. We are from St Albert.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #3

Minnesota state parks allows reservations booked a year in advance now
1985 21' Hi-Lo (Sold)
93 Yamaha G9A

Dirtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:41 PM   #4

Yes. We have had zero problems booking our favorite local county CG a few times a year and you can book 6 months in advance. Someone really smart decided to only allow you to book 4 months in advance but they really didn't tell anyone of the change.

So around Thanksgiving of 2013 we try to sign on for a Memorial Day weekend booking because that was 6 months away. That's when we found out of the change to 4 months but there was no ETA of when the system would open until about 2 weeks later when they announced it was going to open 12/20 at 7pm. So we all wait till then to book and no one can do a thing. You would get all kinds of error messages everywhere you clicked. About an hour later they shut the site down and we all go an email a day or two later saying they apologized for the problem and had no idea when it would be fixed....

About a week later we are told it will open Jan 15 at 7pm. Guess what?! The same thing happened!! Error messages all around.

A day or two later we are told they apologize for the delay and it will reopen again in early February. Guess what! Still problems!!! This was becoming a big problem because now you are running into Memorial Day bookings which turned out the be a disaster. Within the next few days things seemed to settle down though.

Things are still rough though. You can see when certain sites will be opening up for bookings but they don't open up at the date and time they are supposed to. It's hard to describe the prolbem but it's been a royal PITA all year long.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:03 PM   #5

Went through the same thing twice in the last week. We can book 5 months ahead for Ontario provincial parks. The reservations system opens up at 7 am so I was ready with my finger on the key to get a good campsite for Canada's august civic holiday. My wife was laughing because I was shaking and had to hold the mouse with two hands. Ok looks like I got but then started to get a lot of "can't display this page" but by continuing to hit the back button we got it. Now today tried to register for a site in a group of conservation campgrounds and it took two hours. They just opened there online system today for the season and it was crashing left and right. I called and they said they were sorry but their working on. I believe the registration system is contracted out so its not the parks fault.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #6

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	11733This is the site area we wanted for end of April - May time period and tried to book Jan.2nd.( 6 spaces and all taken. This is in Brookings, Or. Harris Baech State Park.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote