Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-07-2013, 11:57 PM   #11

We have a Garmin Nuvi and are quite satisfied. It came with free liifetime map updates (and the updates work). It also has live traffic updates with rerouting and as well has lane change assist. The latter is very helpful on unfamiliar miltilane highways since it visually shows how many lanes there are and which ones to be in at an interchange.

At times it will choose a route different from what we would like. The we simply choose a destination that is on our chosen route and work through it that way. It has been very reliable as has bee the Garmin GPS on our boat.

2011 Jayco Select 28U
Equal-i-zer 1200/12000
Rotochocks

gone 2003 Chev 4x4 5.3 Extended cab
gone 1991 Award Classic 30
owenssailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:57 AM   #12

My wife uses a Tom Tom that I bought her a few years back. I use Co-Pilot Live app on my iPad. Bought it on sale for 9 dollars. Gives live traffic and everything else including a RV mode. Keeps you away frm low bridges and tunnels that don't allow propane laden vehicles. I do enjoy getting lost sometimes thou. I'm a guy, we don't ask for directions. Now that our new truck has the compass in the mirror that's harder to do now.

Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #13

Our Garmin Nuvi is notorious for sending us around Cackley's Hen Roost when we know a much better way to get there. In one instance, we knew that the correct route was straight ahead, but the Garmin insisted on taking us on a left turn into a subdivision. Just for giggles, we followed its directions, and ended up coming right back out of the subdivision on the same road we came in. Seems it was trying to take us to our destination as the crow flies, and not via the real world. We primarily use paper maps, and only use the Garmin if we are totally unfamiliar with the destination area.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #14

I have a Garmin Nuvi with 5" screen and "lifetime" map updates (which by the way means free updates for 4 years only) I bought on Amazon for less than $150. I passed on the live traffic feature because that is generally available in major metro area only. I definitely like the lane shift feature that activates when you're within a quarter mile of your intended exit off a divided highway; really cuts down on those panicked last minute moves. Regarding "misdirection", remember its guidance is only as good as the data stored in it, they are not infallible. They also seem to be "set in their ways" with a route, but will quickly recalculate if you chose to ignore that nice lady's instructions.
I also saw no real need for an RV specific model since we plan our trips down to daily travel distance and make CG reservations in advance. No longer worried with vehicle height since the WhiteHawk is over 2' shorter than our fifth wheel was.

And yes, I still have a copy of Rand McNally riding in the cab..........just in case, along with "The Next Exit"!
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #15

I have a 5 year old Garmin Nuvi, which still does pretty well, and as the previous poster mentions "The Next Exit" which is updated each year and contains information about every exit on the Interestate Highway System, available at Amazon for under $12.00 Also use YELP on our Andriod phone for info on restaurants etc. Google Maps on Android phone also very useful, which is why I haven't bothered to get a new GPS
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie23 View Post
Our Garmin Nuvi is notorious for sending us around Cackley's Hen Roost when we know a much better way to get there. In one instance, we knew that the correct route was straight ahead, but the Garmin insisted on taking us on a left turn into a subdivision. Just for giggles, we followed its directions, and ended up coming right back out of the subdivision on the same road we came in. Seems it was trying to take us to our destination as the crow flies, and not via the real world. We primarily use paper maps, and only use the Garmin if we are totally unfamiliar with the destination area.
You do realize they have settings that can be adjusted. It'll have a shortest distance or fastest route setting as well as avoid u-turns, toll roads, highways, etc.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
You do realize they have settings that can be adjusted. It'll have a shortest distance or fastest route setting as well as avoid u-turns, toll roads, highways, etc.

I use them and I hate them. We have a Garmin and a Nuvi. Garmin I like better but they no longer support my model so it is fast becoming useless. The NUVI is just plain stupid. Seems that the Chamber of Commerce got a hold of them, when entering a town it will invariably route you onto the business district, when the bypass is staring you in the face. It will send you down a cowpath if it thinks it will cut 100 yards off the trip. Never use shortest distance as it usually never is. Apparently it attempts to measure as the crow flies and as we all know roads do not work that way and you end up zig zagging across country.
GPS is fine for the last mile but back it up with a paper map.
Pitch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #18

GPS Selection Help

I have a Tomtom live GPS and love it. It has saved me many times from traffic.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch1 View Post

I use them and I hate them. We have a Garmin and a Nuvi. Garmin I like better but they no longer support my model so it is fast becoming useless. The NUVI is just plain stupid. Seems that the Chamber of Commerce got a hold of them, when entering a town it will invariably route you onto the business district, when the bypass is staring you in the face. It will send you down a cowpath if it thinks it will cut 100 yards off the trip. Never use shortest distance as it usually never is. Apparently it attempts to measure as the crow flies and as we all know roads do not work that way and you end up zig zagging across country.
GPS is fine for the last mile but back it up with a paper map.
Agreed on the NUVI's. I don't like he cheaper Garmins at all anymore. I had a old Garmin IQue (PDA w/GPS) and it would route great with several different options, even had a bus/rv mode. Of course it was $250.00 over ten years ago. I can't get a cheap GPS to route the way I would go almost ever unless its all highway. As Pitch said it seams they always try to take you thru town regardless of preference settings sometimes. I currently have the Rand McNally RVND 7710 and like it pretty well. It's RV specific. I use a $70 Tomtom for everyday work and must say I'm impressed with it. Whatever you do get the lifetime maps.

2010 Jayflight 29RLS
2006 Ford F-250 Superduty 6.0 diesel
Equalizer hitch

Recondite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #20

I use a Garmin 765T, sometimes along with Waze and iExit on my iPhone. Unfortunately during our last trip the Garmin was set to avoid highways. I don't remember doing it but I may have been trying something during the winter. We got off the highway for an unscheduled break. It (I) caused problems because I didn't listen to my DW when she said there were signs for RT84 and the GPS wanted to go the opposite way. I just shut it off once we got back on track until I figured out the problem. "User Error" It usually works pretty well and I have lifetime updates. There is no substitute for having an idea of the route and an awareness of the surroundings.

2015 RAM 3500 CTD
steveb285rks is offline   Reply With Quote