Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-12-2016, 10:19 AM   #1

Question GPS System for RV's?

Hi folks
First, I want to thank you for this forum, absolutely fabulous questions and advice, and timely answers.

I got another question.

I use Good Sam travel planner to map my route and find campgrounds, but it and the Googlemaps and Waze use a LOT of mobile data. I monitor my data, and try to only add another gig when absolutely necessary, and cancel at the same time for the next billing cycle. So, typically, I would use an additional gig every 10 days.

I have an old Nextar GPS, but they are out of business.

I am wondering if there is another GPS system specific to RV's that I could buy, and that offers relatively inexpensive updates. Any advice, opinion, recommendation (or steer clear from!) is great!

See you on the road next month!
Marge
Mpventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:32 AM   #2

I'd recommend transferring your route into Google maps directly and follow googles information for using their map data while offline. Download the data you need from a free hotspot somewhere, or from 'home'. Instructions Here - https://support.google.com/maps/answ...DAndroid&hl=en
You can reconnect occasionally to make sure you are totally in sync. I do this all the time when I am in areas where data is not available, but I still want to use my maps. I consume a very small amount of data month to month, which my daughter promptly gobbles up watching netflix on the road.

Edit - Equally important, once you've downloaded your data, change google maps settings to use Wi-Fi only- instructions for this were also in the link above. This will force google maps to use your downloaded data and will save you from using a TON of it while traveling. This is the option I use, because it's *free* and uses my existing tablets, phones, etc..

If you have some cash to burn and you want to continue using the good sam app, you can export the trips you create on their website into a select number of GPS units. It's required that you pick one that directly supports 'Good Sam or Rand McNally GPS.' I can't help you there, that's just what I found out browsing the trip planner on the good sam site. If you want to google 'Good Sam GPS' you'll find them.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:47 AM   #3

We use the Garmin RV 760. Has a nice display and lifetime updates. It allows you to enter the dimensions of your RV and plans your route accordingly. This includes length width height and weight. Helps for narrow roads and low overpasses. Like all things, it's not perfect, but we've had very good luck with it. There is also an optional wireless backup camera feature should you need it.

Jim
Old 09-12-2016, 11:05 AM   #4

I use the Garmin Dezl - Has an RV mode that will route you on appropriate roads. You do still need to confirm and use common sense of course. I don't trust any electronic device 100%

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdawg View Post
We use the Garmin RV 760. Has a nice display and lifetime updates. It allows you to enter the dimensions of your RV and plans your route accordingly. This includes length width height and weight. Helps for narrow roads and low overpasses. Like all things, it's not perfect, but we've had very good luck with it. There is also an optional wireless backup camera feature should you need it.

Jim
X2
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:34 PM   #6

Like Marcm157, I have a Garmin Dezl.
But also like Marcm157, I don't trust any electronic device 100% when towing.

Since you use Good Sam travel planner, it has the capability to export your trip plans into the Good Sam / Rand McNally GPS unit.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:39 PM   #7

I use the Tomtom app on my iPhone. Works really well, maps a loaded locally so very little data is used. Downside is that it's not specific for RVs.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:37 PM   #8

We use a Garmin RV 660LMT. It is the newer version of the Garmin RV760, and comes with lifetime map and traffic updates. I have found it to do a good job of doing appropriate routing for our fifth wheel; it claims to be able to avoid low clearance bridges and narrow twisty roads. It has done a good job, but is not perfect. Caution and thought is required when choosing its many settings. It has many POI's. Here is a link: RV660LMT link; it's available for less elsewhere.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:50 PM   #9
Lost in the Woods

I replaced my tow vehicle head unit with a Kenwood system DNX571TR (Kenwood DNX571TR Navigation receiver for truckers at Crutchfield.com) that has the same Garmin RV guidance system mentioned above. Makes it easy to find RV Parks and RV Parts and service shops when needed and it warns you about upcoming sharp corners/curves and chooses routes most appropriate for the size and length of your RV. These warnings are of course secondary to your own observation of road conditions.

It also has video inputs for backup cameras. The truck stereo speakers make it easy to hear the voice instructions with the radio or MP3 being automatically muted during the turn by turn instructions. Really like the in dash without extra wires running across the dash.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote