Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2015, 07:25 AM   #1

Grand Canyon to Yellowstone road trip

A little different as I'm not taking the RV, just to far for the time I have. My son and I are taking a trip from GC to Yellowstone. We will be camping in tents in the parks but hotels along the way. I'm planning on going around the east end of GC to Zion and zipping up to Salt Lake city on I15. Then angling eastward to go thru Jackson Wy and come into Yellowstone at the south entrance. This is mainly a road trip. We are looking for interesting things and places to see as well as scenery. Does anybody know any weird or oddball sites or can't miss places to see or eat? I have add we are flying into Vegas and planning on doing Route 66 for part of the drive to GC. One more question. I know what Google says. What kind of time frame is it to go from West Yellowstone entrance back to Vegas. Got some leeway in our timeframe but there's a hard flight and work schedule I have to meet.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:23 AM   #2

From West Yellowstone to Vegas will be about 11 hours of drive time, then add your fuel stops, food, and breaks, maybe 13 to 14 hours if you are dedicated

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:59 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. With everything else going on yesterday I forgot to look at this post. I'm planning on making that drive In two days. Google says Provo is 1\2 way. Might push a little further the first day so I have plenty of time to make a midnight flight the second day.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:02 PM   #4

We're leaving for Yellowstone on Friday. Like you, we won't be pulling the RV. We will be travelling from southern Indiana and it will take 3 days to get there. My SIL will be towing his 30 foot TT, the wife and I will be following behind, just in case of any emergencies.

I have a little apprehension about the trip as this will be our first time out west and the friving time involved, etc. But at the same time the DW and I are looking forward to the challenge. I told the wife that at our age, we should do this now.

Wish you well on your trip and Have Fun!!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
We're leaving for Yellowstone on Friday. Like you, we won't be pulling the RV. We will be travelling from southern Indiana and it will take 3 days to get there. My SIL will be towing his 30 foot TT, the wife and I will be following behind, just in case of any emergencies.

I have a little apprehension about the trip as this will be our first time out west and the friving time involved, etc. But at the same time the DW and I are looking forward to the challenge. I told the wife that at our age, we should do this now.

Wish you well on your trip and Have Fun!!
I'll about doing it now. Probably the last summer with my son before college. This is one on my bucket list. Do it now while I'm financially and,physically able to. Trip started as me and him flying to Vegas a,d driving home across the Country . wife got involved and Vegas evolved Into a 4 night stay before she goes home. We don't have time to drive so it's all out west now and fly home.