Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2023, 04:37 AM   #21

Would you dump grey water on your own yard? If so, I'd prefer to not be your neighbor.

If this becomes common practice, the camp grounds would not be a place for me anymore.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 07:04 AM   #22

We dump grey watee to douse a fire
Not prohibited in forests in New England
How do you think tent campers dispose of same?

We live where ther are bears and when it gets dry our hone dishwater goes on to the flowers
LNT says to filter grey water through a strainer

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 07:43 AM   #23

I think the key element, know where you are at, and what rules apply in that area. If I was going to use water from my grey tank, I would just dump into a small bucket and carry it over, much easier than hooking up a hose that has no water pressure behind it.

As an old boy scout, that use to backpack in arid areas and water was very precious, I have learned how to put out a campfire with a cup or so of water and always less than a quart of water. Need a poking stick and a bottle of water. The key is to Sprinkle a small amount water on the hot spots. Only sprinkle water in a small area, then stir the fire/coals. Repeat. It is surprising how little water is needed.

A couple years ago I saw someone using a Campfire Blanket. They placed it over the fire at night and the next day, they removed it and the fire started right back up. Looked interesting. I suspect it held a strong odor of campfire. This is similar to what they used. https://www.amazon.com/Campfire-Defe...5689872&sr=8-4

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 08:47 PM   #24

We camp in California campgrounds that also have a lot of tent campers. 100% of the tent campers "gray water" is dumped on the ground! After over 45 years of this type of camping, have never seen or had a problem with this.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:30 AM   #25

Back in the pop-up tent trailer days, when there wasn't a holding tank for sink water and it went directly out the side of the trailer, I put a bucket under the drain port, but only when we were visible to others. Oh and the bucket had a bunch of holes drilled in the bottom LOL.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:40 AM   #26
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randel J View Post
We camp in California campgrounds that also have a lot of tent campers. 100% of the tent campers "gray water" is dumped on the ground! After over 45 years of this type of camping, have never seen or had a problem with this.
You haven’t but what about the ground, plants etc and considering all of the regulations CA has about everything why not check those concerning gray water and report back to us. It would be interesting to know.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 10:21 AM   #27

I've never understood the gray water issue. When we tent camped dispersed, we washed all of our dishes daily on a table and all of the dirty water for a week went to the ground. Same when taking a shower with a bag hung in a tree. We often went through the 50 gallons we brought. What's the difference between that and a trailer tank.

Anyways, we only disperse camp (not campgrounds with defined spots) and have used what remaining fresh we have to put out camp fires. We use gray to supplement. It's dry out west and we'd rather use gray than risk a fire. I've talked to a USFS law enforcement officer who stopped by our dispersed camp once and he encouraged dumping all of the gray when conditions are very dry as some water on the ground is better than no water.
66lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 10:58 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66lincoln View Post
I've never understood the gray water issue. When we tent camped dispersed, we washed all of our dishes daily on a table and all of the dirty water for a week went to the ground. Same when taking a shower with a bag hung in a tree. We often went through the 50 gallons we brought. What's the difference between that and a trailer tank.

Anyways, we only disperse camp (not campgrounds with defined spots) and have used what remaining fresh we have to put out camp fires. We use gray to supplement. It's dry out west and we'd rather use gray than risk a fire. I've talked to a USFS law enforcement officer who stopped by our dispersed camp once and he encouraged dumping all of the gray when conditions are very dry as some water on the ground is better than no water.
The difference being that grey water flows through the black tank on its way out.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 12:47 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
The difference being that grey water flows through the black tank on its way out.
No, it doesn't (at least with my trailer), but in most cases it does run through the same outlet that the black water runs through.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 02:57 PM   #30
RPR

Campfire emissions are polluting a lot more than the gray water.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 05:35 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Like Smoker Bill, my gray water tank does not flow thru the black water tank, just out the same 10" of outlet pipe. I've never seen gray water hurt the campground plants (weeds), trees or bushes. And what about everyone's pets doing their business in campgrounds. I've never heard anybody complain that they are destroying the environment! IMHO, carefully dumping gray water on inconspicuous areas of any campground is a non-issue.
Old 02-07-2023, 06:03 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
IMHO, carefully dumping gray water on inconspicuous areas of any campground is a non-issue.
Unless you get caught! Most state parks we camp in specifically forbid it. I don't know how they decide if it applies to tenters or rv's though.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 06:55 PM   #33
CAG

Quote:
Like Smoker Bill, my gray water tank does not flow thru the black water tank, just out the same 10" of outlet pipe. I've never seen gray water hurt the campground plants (weeds), trees or bushes. And what about everyone's pets doing their business in campgrounds. I've never heard anybody complain that they are destroying the environment! IMHO, carefully dumping gray water on inconspicuous areas of any campground is a non-issue.

Statements like this are just lame, sorry but do you stand and watch the plants grow for the next two years to determine whether the gray water caused harm?

Most campgrounds require that pet owners pick up after their pets so there should not be harmful items left there.

Come on people stop with the attempts to justify your illegal actions. If you want to dump a small amount of gray water to put out your campfire go for it. If you want to dump the entire tank go for it but don't whine if you get caught and have to pay a fine, or perhaps be restricted from camping in any federal campsite.

And if your last dump was black water, you are going to dump a certain amount of residue when you open the gray water tank. Oh,boy love that smell on the camp fire.

This thread much like the last two or three that started over dumping gray water has run it course and is beating that poor dead horse to a pulp.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:09 PM   #34

[QUOTE=CAG;1094790]Statements like this are just lame, sorry but do you stand and watch the plants grow for the next two years to determine whether the gray water caused harm?

Sorry CAG, I didn't mean to come across as lame or that I was advocating for anything illegal while camping. But as an RV'r in California for over 45 years, I've seen gray water dumped countless times. Most of it is dish water dumped from plastic wash bins into fire pits. It's not an ideal situation, but I do see it happen every time we camp.
Old 02-08-2023, 08:34 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
And if your last dump was black water, you are going to dump a certain amount of residue when you open the gray water tank. Oh,boy love that smell on the camp fire.
Who dumps their black tank without following with grey water? I can't imagine someone being that crazy. You don't, do you?

So in regards to your statement, there won't be any tirds on the fire.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 02:01 PM   #36

I have a cap with a hose attachment. I use it to drain grey water into my yard with a hose when I'm parked at home.

If allowed by law and if necessary I would probably drain grey water into a boondocking site using a long hose and draining it well away from where someone may camp later and away from water sources or bare rock. I would not drain grey water into a camp ground fire pit or any other place campers will want to use.

Our grey water contains soaps, calgon, bodily oils, and other contaminants foreign to wild areas and not the nicest gift to leave the next camper, aesthetically at least.

I use separate hoses for fresh, black, and grey water so my grey water hose has little if any black tank residue. I have found more disgusting debris in campground fire rings than soapy, greasy water.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 02:03 PM   #37

Quote:

Most campgrounds require that pet owners pick up after their pets so there should not be harmful items left there.

Come on people stop with the attempts to justify your illegal actions.

This thread much like the last two or three that started over dumping gray water has run it course and is beating that poor dead horse to a pulp.
Can't pick up pee.

Not illegal on most land, especially private.

You drive around without rinsing your hose after dumping black water?

Yes, I was hoping for feedback on the cap with hose connection.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 02:53 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
The benefit is putting out a campfire cold without using up freshwater. I don't like to leave even embers glowing in a fire pit. I'll dump a couple gallons of water, stir and mix with a shovel, then add a couple gallons more.

I've done it on private property and can't recall a smell. We generally never have any food particles in the gray. I think the hot coals char any microscopic bits that may still be in the water. When we are boondocking we have to leave when we run out of freshwater or fill our gray water tank. (black is never a problem) Using 3 to 5 gallons of gray instead of fresh can mean another day in a spot, sometimes two days.
The fire, ash, wood and earth is all a perfect filter in one hole. If it’s to prevent a fire, it’s always okay. Always always always put fire hazards above any other hazard that your gray water may impose.
Snuff it cold and cover it
dustyww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 03:02 PM   #39

Quote:
You haven’t but what about the ground, plants etc and considering all of the regulations CA has about everything why not check those concerning gray water and report back to us. It would be interesting to know.
First, I have a BS degree in Plant Science and also consider myself an avid environmentalist (although some environmentalists may take issue with what I have to say.) I'll stay clear of state and federal regs pertaining to this issue.

Assuming we're talking about chemical elements in gray water from household and personal soaps and detergents, the ones that cause problems environmentally are nitrates and phosphates, which, as it happens, are 2 of the 3 *major* nutrients (nitrogen and phosphorous) required by plants. An excess of these are stimulating to plant growth, which is why one wants to keep these away from surface water, due to algal build--ups and reduced O2 levels. I don't see them as being harmful to plant growth; rather the opposite -- thisbis why we fertilize plants (we don't "feed" them, they produce their own food.) There are also nutrients to be found in the minute particles of food waste in the grey water. This all said, I would AVOID dumping grey water near surface bodies of water OR OTHER ENVIRONMENTALLY-SENSITIVE AREAS, as a start, and also use low-phosphate soaps and detergent products -- the sorts you might use if on a septic system or backpacking trip. Due to its oxidizing properties, bleach is instantly broken down in the presence of organic matter-- that's just how it works (although I'm not advocating dumping bleach in sensitive areas, either.)

Anyway, these same nutrients can bolster microbial organisms in soil (these are generally good -- especially in forests -- they make up the "soil web" which benefit plants.) I honestly see no harm in using grey water to extinguish a fire. Perhaps there's an argument to be made about not dumping greater quantities in drought areas to water drought-stressed plants, as such a short stimulus may be worse over the longer term.

Again, I'm steering clear of the regulatory aspect here, just offering my opinion as to relative environmental harm. Also, I live and recreate in the East, and we don't have quite the same problems with years-long drought that the West has been experiencing.
Finally Able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 04:50 PM   #40

Thank you, Finally Able.
Nice to see some science and common sense brought into this discussion.
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote