Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-01-2018, 10:29 PM   #1

Gray water shower

We have never used the shower in our other units. Since we have bought the 34RSBS we are showering in the trailer more and more. Problem is the gray water is now sudsy. We use Dometic drop ins. Any advice.
BillMc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:36 PM   #2

You mean when you drain your grey tank, you see suds?

I almost always see suds in ours when the grey tank is nearly done draining. I assumed it was a function of the soap we were using and how soft the water happened to be.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:10 AM   #3

I always assumed suds were fairly normal as well. You are dumping quite a bit of soap down the shower drain. The rush/flow of the water exiting the tank is bound to stir some of it up.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMc40 View Post
We have never used the shower in our other units. Since we have bought the 34RSBS we are showering in the trailer more and more. Problem is the gray water is now sudsy. We use Dometic drop ins. Any advice.
And the problem with the waste water being sudsy is ?

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
And the problem with the waste water being sudsy is ?
Hose was filled with suds. Someone watching us dump at a full hook showed his displeasure with me spilling the suds while putting my hose up
BillMc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Hose was filled with suds. Someone watching us dump at a full hook showed his displeasure with me spilling the suds while putting my hose up

There is usually water available at the dump station and i always rinse my hose out before i put it away.
6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Until this topic, I never thought much about my grey tank suds. Here's what I do...

At a full hook up site, I just leave the suds in the sewer hose. Were you parked in a full hook up site? (Is that a 'full hook'?)

At a dump station, I put a cap on the 'trailer end' of the sewer hose before I collapse it so those suds go into the dump station tank. Then I put a cap on the other end, trapping the suds inside the sewer hose, and stow the hose.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:27 AM   #8

Any soapy suds in the hose I consider an extra help rinsing out the black tank residue in the hose. Just a nice bonus.

Unlike at home we soap up with minimum water (tiny heater or just saving the water in the tank) and rinse with the minimum to save fresh water and holding tank. So suds are naturally more concentrated. Same with dishes.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:55 AM   #9

When breaking down...drain black tank, flush if needed. Drain grey tank. Disconnect hose at trailer and run water through the hose (I do this with a water hose that I do not use for fresh water to the RV). 'Clean' out the sewer hose. Then collapse the sewer hose starting from the RV to the CG drain. Last thing I remove is the sewer hose from the CG drain.

I have caps for the hoses that I install once collapsed. Almost nothing spills out of the hose.

"Suds" are not really bad, they just show that someone spilled something from their tanks. Since no one knows if there is some black tank stuff in there or not, it is viewed with disfavor.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:56 PM   #10

Quote:
How did they show their displeasure? Sounds like they did not know what they were upset about. I always put a little extra detergent in my gray water tank along with extra water before leaving my site. Then I drive around the campground for a few minutes before heading to the dump area. After first emptying the Black Water tank I do the Grey Water one. Then I use a hose at the dump station to rinse out my hose before putting it back into storage. Yes some suds show but they are going into the dump tank. Never had a problem with anyone showing their displeasure. Would not make a difference to me though.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:30 PM   #11

Quote:
As others have said, when done draining, disconnect at the TT and run available water into the dump hose while still connected at the dump drain. Standard sop.

The noisey neighbor is either a tree hugger who thinks soap into the sewer is a sin that will destroy the ground water OR he just thinks you are messing up the site for the next guy. Follow the above procedure. After sumping 30 to 40 gallons of grey water thru your drain line the suds aren't going to kill anybody.

Want to see someone melt into the air? Look him in the eye and ask him if he wants to help. Not to worry.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote