Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-28-2015, 10:58 AM   #1
Site Team

Great Stuff - Insulating Foam Sealant with PESTBLOCK

I was getting ready to FINALLY seal the Glacial Package under body panel (the gap where it connects to the frame) with Great Stuff and came across this Great Stuff product with PESTBLOCK. It is supposed to deter mice, ants, roaches (Palmetto Bugs here in Florida), just about anything. So I just finished sealing the under body panel and a few other possible entry points. I was surprised to find about 5 openings large enough to let a LARGE mouse into the under body. I believe I read that it has a terrible tasting formula. I purchased 2 cans at Home Depot, one can ALMOST made it, but I needed to open the second can.

Well, so far in the last 3 years we have yet to have any issues, but just thought I would take a little preventive maintenance. I will keep you informed if we encounter anything. Currently we have been using Peppermint oil soaked cotton swabs in plastic shot glasses in the storage compartments and in the cabinets. This way if I lose our shot glass I know where there are more. The peppermint oil and the dryer sheets combined seem to be doing the trick.

Although, the lizards (about 3" long) usually hide in the tongue section of the TT frame area, boy do they get pissed when we stay in the Blue Ridge mountains, like "We were kidnapped". but fun to watch.

Those of you encountering mice may also want to give it a try and let us know how it works.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
FOAM SPRAY - Great Stup with Pestblock.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:54 AM   #2

Good find.......thank you for posting :-)

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2012 321RLTS Eagle (sold)
2011 F350 CC SB
dzwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:22 PM   #3

Have to try that
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:13 PM   #4

I made sure my underbelly was sealed on my TT before heading to the mountains to dry camp. All was good for about 6 weeks than mice attack one night. Better half was (upset) cannot use the workds on the forum. Tried everything to ensure they left without dying inside the walls somewhere. Put so many mothballs, mouse repellant, dryer sheets in everywhere we almost had to lv. Finally they packed up and left. During this time I found out how they got in and if you have a electric slide from the bottom you have the same problem. Open your slide and go under it. Look where the ram extends and the hole is twice the ram size. When closed the stop covers the hole but open is has a big gap. It is a little pain but i bought some steel wool and fill the hole around the ram with it. No more mice problem, just need to remember to remove it before closing. My new Pinnacle will have the same issue on the one slide. Why they do not put a rubber boot on this and lv open instead is crazy.

I will be going to home depot and getting the great stuff with pest block (thanks for posting that) and sealing any underbelly place that even might look questionable.
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:14 PM   #5
Site Team

One more place for mice to get into the under body

Every trip I lower the spare tire that is hanging under the front part of the TT, just to check the air pressure. The first time I lowered the tire I looked at the steel cable that moves it up and down and noticed that there was a rather BIG opening in the under body that the steel cable went through... I believe a small RAT could have entered there. So I looked in my bag of tricks and found an unused 4X4 electrical box blank cover plate. I cut a small slot from one side to the middle and mounted it on the under body panel. I caulked the slot up to the cable. One less place for the critters to get in.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:04 PM   #6

I will drop the spare on my Pinnacle when I get it and check that. Good find. The problem with the hole around the ram is that it moves around when the slide goes in an out. The electrical plate on the tire cable is a good idea. The ram needs a boot or something flexible. I have looked at a bunch of different brand RV's and all are the same, big hole around the ram
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote