Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-28-2017, 08:21 AM   #1

Grey & Black water tank dumping question

Hi guys Just getting started with the camping and trailer life.
I'm just thinking ahead and looking to do some practice runs and was wondering if you're​ allowed to dump the grey and black water in your homes sewer outdoor cleanout? I also plan on installing a 30amp hookup if needed. Or for now I might just plug in just to run lights tv etc.. I will have about a 50ft run so just want to confirm what gauge would be OK. I was thinking 10.

Thanks!
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:28 AM   #2

Dumping into the clean-out should not be a problem. I've read of many who do that. Certainly more civilized than using the storm drain inlet in the curb.

Not being on city water or sewer, I had a connection run from my parking pad to the septic tank for the same purpose.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiovette View Post
I'm just thinking ahead and looking to do some practice runs and was wondering if you're​ allowed to dump the grey and black water in your homes sewer outdoor cleanout?
Legally, probably not, do a lot of people do it, yes.

Most sewer district regs say dumping non metered water into the system is not allowed, however I did it all the time and I know many others who did/do as well.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:17 AM   #4
Site Team

" I also plan on installing a 30amp hookup if needed. Or for now I might just plug in just to run lights tv etc.. I will have about a 50ft run so just want to confirm what gauge would be OK. I was thinking 10."

The 10 gauge wire will drop about 3 volts over the 50 foot span. A 6 gauge will only lose about 1.2 volts. Ya know, bigger is better....

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 03:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
" I also plan on installing a 30amp hookup if needed. Or for now I might just plug in just to run lights tv etc.. I will have about a 50ft run so just want to confirm what gauge would be OK. I was thinking 10."

The 10 gauge wire will drop about 3 volts over the 50 foot span. A 6 gauge will only lose about 1.2 volts. Ya know, bigger is better....
I just realized something.
I have a 30 amp generator transfer switch hook up on the side of my house. I only use it when we lose power and shut my main breaker off before connecting and turning on my generator. Can I use it to plug into from my trailer to the 30amp connection and turn the transfer switch breakers to the ON position. Will this work? And will it work without causing any explosions! Lol. I know in theory I could just plug into my generator and run the entire rv off of it the day before we go out in order to test everything. It has 9000 watts at startup and 7500 running watts. The only issue with this is my neighbors. I only like to start it up once a month for maintenance purposes and would much rather run it off my house and leave it plugged in even overnight before we leave the next day to get the fridge time to get going. But I guess if I am just running the fridge I could just plug into an outdoor recepticle of choice after figuring out which one is on the biggest breaker with smallest load.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:55 PM   #6

Quote:

I have a 30 amp generator transfer switch hook up on the side of my house. I only use it when we lose power and shut my main breaker off before connecting and turning on my generator. Can I use it to plug into from my trailer to the 30amp connection and turn the transfer switch breakers to the ON position. Will this work? And will it work without causing any explosions! Lol. I know in theory I could just plug into my generator and run the entire rv off of it the day before we go out in order to test everything. It has 9000 watts at startup and 7500 running watts. The only issue with this is my neighbors. I only like to start it up once a month for maintenance purposes and would much rather run it off my house and leave it plugged in even overnight before we leave the next day to get the fridge time to get going. But I guess if I am just running the fridge I could just plug into an outdoor recepticle of choice after figuring out which one is on the biggest breaker with smallest load.

You'll probably need some gender changers to plug the RV-style plug into the twist-lock.

The generator will totally run the camper, we can run the AC and everything else off a single 3,000 watt Honda generator.

Frankly, you could run an extension cord out to the trailer, use a converter adapter, and run the fridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:57 PM   #7

Quote:
I also have a 30amp connection on my house connected to my transfer switch, but it is 220 volts. If it is 4-prong connection, it most likely is 220 volts. Best to double check before hooking up and frying everything in your trailer.

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:07 PM   #8

They make an adapter to hook your 30amp 120 volt camper to a 30amp 220 volt generator twist lock outlet. They also make one for 50amp campers, I have both as I use my outlet for my welder also.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post

You will have no issue with #10 wire on a 50 foot run, 30 amp single pole circuit. Make sure you wire the plug correctly and remember it is 120 volts NOT 240 volts.

Good Luck. !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinhomeauto View Post
They make an adapter to hook your 30amp 120 volt camper to a 30amp 220 volt generator twist lock outlet. They also make one for 50amp campers, I have both as I use my outlet for my welder also.
When you get a chance can you link the 30 to 30 adapter please. Just want to make sure I get the right one.

I found this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ParkPower-17...-/252458084254

Thx
Old 06-03-2017, 07:55 PM   #11

Quote:
When you get a chance can you link the 30 to 30 adapter please. Just want to make sure I get the right one.

I found this one

ParkPower 172ARV 30 Amp 4-Prong Locking RV Generator Adapter*

Thx
That is like the one I have, got mine from RV dealer.