Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-13-2020, 08:25 AM   #1

Grey water disposal

Does anyone have any special tricks for disposing of grey water? We have 1 or 2 trips per year where the grey tank approaches full, so I've been taking a little bit at time (4 or 5 gallons) in a grey tote and pouring into the pit toilet at the campsite. It's a bit of an onerous chore. You have to lift the tank to position it over the toilet.

What I'm thinking is a cheap 12V HF pump + battery strapped to the tank to pump the water out through a short length of hose. That way more water could be carried, so fewer trips, since lifting the tank would not be required.

Please critique.

D
Old 12-13-2020, 08:49 AM   #2

Since its grey water, I know people, at their campsite at nite, they'll just crack open the dump valve just a very little bit so it's a steady little dribble. The ground can soak it up, no puddles, and nobody is any wiser. Lol! I know, it's not the proper thing to do, but... Do I do that? No. I'll empty my grey into a 25gal tote and wheel it to the dump station. HOWEVER, I dont have the issue of having to lift mine up to have to dump it either.
You have the right idea of a battery and a pump strapped to your tote tank. I know they make pumps for just that too. Let me see if I can dig something up and post back, unless someone beats me to it.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:54 AM   #3

I knew I'd find what I was thinking of. Heres an example;

https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/floje...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'm sure you could build your own for cheaper, but this can give you another idea anyway.
Old 12-13-2020, 10:45 AM   #4
Site Team

Grey water poured in a campsite is a poor decision. It still stinks and every one who camps in that site will have to suffer it also.

If you have a blue boy, why not just dump it at the dump station if the cg has one?

Some public cg's have grey water dump locations through out the cg.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 01:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
Does anyone have any special tricks for disposing of grey water? We have 1 or 2 trips per year where the grey tank approaches full, so I've been taking a little bit at time (4 or 5 gallons) in a grey tote and pouring into the pit toilet at the campsite. It's a bit of an onerous chore. You have to lift the tank to position it over the toilet.
D
I've dumped small amounts of grey water into the latrine toilet at a campground before, but I just used a 5 gallon bucket to tote a few gallons at a time. It really helps a lot to manage water use, and to use as little as possible.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 01:18 PM   #6

Thanks. That might be a better solution than dealing with the tote. How do you get the bucket low enough under the dump outlet though?
Old 12-13-2020, 03:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
Thanks. That might be a better solution than dealing with the tote. How do you get the bucket low enough under the dump outlet though?
Depending on the slope of the ground under my TT, a 5 gallon bucket usually fits under the outlet ok.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 07:02 PM   #8

We own the land the trailer sits on. It is located about 500' off the highway. We have a portable chemical toilet, so the black tank has never been used. The RV is located on a slight incline, with the back of the trailer (and tanks) on the uphill end. We have a beautiful lawn, except for under the trailer, which is just plain "dirt".

The grey tank contains soapy water from the shower and sink used to wash dishes. When the tank gets full, I open the valve. It flows downhill and by the time it reaches the front it has all soaked in. It smells (very nice) like shampoo and dish soap.

Naturally, I wouldn't drop my tank in a campground on the grass, but I also don't see the harm in my own backyard.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 07:35 PM   #9

Lot depends on where you are at and the rules.

I like you I have transferred some to my 15 gallon tote, and dumped it down the pit toilet. If it is full, DW and I do it together. I have used a plain 5 gallon bucket with a lid. My HTT is so low, I use a 1 gallon bucket to transfer the grey water, bit of a pain but it works in a pinch.

Pending on the rules. We tend to eat and do dishes outside. We may dump the dish water in the woods (just like the tenters), or down the toilet make sure nothing was left in the dishpan (aka a spoon).

Another option is to add a twist on waste valve, to the outlet, and transfer fluids from the grey tank to the black tank.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...7909545&sr=8-3

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 08:12 PM   #10

Get you one of these to help pump the water.

https://www.amazon.com/Flotec-FPDMP2...ll+pump&sr=1-3
Furrion Vision S 7” Rear and Side View Cameras
2021JayFlight28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote