Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-14-2024, 09:11 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2024
Location: St. Augustine
Posts: 2
Question Greyhawk 31b Questions

Hello. My wife and I just purchased a 2020 Greyhawk 31B, which weíre really enjoying. However weíre discovering a few issues that need to be resolved, and being this is our first RV, would truly appreciate any advice anyone can provide.

First issue involves the black tank. Yes, I have learned a very important lesson in buying a used RV - always check the tank readings and, Iím assuming, insist on dumping the tanks so they show empty before closing the deal (the only excuse I have is that, to check out the RV, we drove from FL to NC on the day that horrible storm hit a month or so ago, which turned a six hour drive into something like twelve, etc, etc.).

Looks like Iíve got a compacted tank. Iíve back flushed, and top flushed, and used enough enzymes to chew through a small townís daily production - and still the problem persists. Iím fortunate enough to be hitched a friendís house, and Iíve got my line tied into the 3Ē clean-out port for their septic tank. I only open the valve to dump - and a decent amount of liquid comes out. But still seems like I can see pooled liquid below the toilet, and the LEDs never read below 1/2. Any thoughts on what to do?

Second question is regarding water heater. Propane works, electric doesnít. The breaker looks good, and since the propane side still requires electric for sensing, control & ignition, Iím assuming power to the WH is not the issue. My guess would be a burned out heating element. The question is where is it? Definitely not seeing it inside the access hatch from the outside. Iím guessing itís going to be via the panel under the fridge (still moving in - gotta move some debris to get to that). Is that correct? Any advice on testing / replacement? Iím assuming itís going to be similar to a home WH. Test for continuity. Open means burned out. Unscrew, pull & replace?

Any help with either of these issues would be greatly appreciated.
joe66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 07:09 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
dvspl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Shrewsbury
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe66 View Post
Iíve back flushed, and top flushed, and used enough enzymes to chew through a small townís daily production - and still the problem persists. Iím fortunate enough to be hitched a friendís house, and Iíve got my line tied into the 3Ē clean-out port for their septic tank. I only open the valve to dump - and a decent amount of liquid comes out. But still seems like I can see pooled liquid below the toilet, and the LEDs never read below 1/2. Any thoughts on what to do?
There will always be some liquid left in the black tank, but it should be a small amount. You may not be seeing as much through the toilet as you think. My guess is that it's emptying fine but the sensors are inaccurate. Very common problem! If you search the forum for "black tank sensor" you'll find lots of advice for cleaning or replacing them. Many people who have this problem just live with it and drain/flush the black tank when they can see it's full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe66 View Post
Second question is regarding water heater. Propane works, electric doesnít. The breaker looks good, and since the propane side still requires electric for sensing, control & ignition, Iím assuming power to the WH is not the issue. My guess would be a burned out heating element. The question is where is it? Definitely not seeing it inside the access hatch from the outside. Iím guessing itís going to be via the panel under the fridge (still moving in - gotta move some debris to get to that). Is that correct? Any advice on testing / replacement? Iím assuming itís going to be similar to a home WH. Test for continuity. Open means burned out. Unscrew, pull & replace?
The propane side of the water heater uses 12V power which it gets from your 12V fuse panel. The electric side uses 110 VAC power which it gets from a separate circuit breaker on the AC panel. Check there for a C/B. If you have an EMS, it could also be shedding the water heater because your shore power connection isn't providing enough amps. But burned out elements are also very common. It's probably on the back side, as you've already figured out. If you post the specific model number, there are some very good water heater gurus on here that will help.

Also, ask Jayco to send you the electrical schematics for your rig. They will come in handy for tracing wires/issues. They'll want your VIN. Here's a link:https://www.jayco.com/owners/owners-support/
__________________
retired USCG aviator
2020 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV/2021 MINI Cooper toad
dvspl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 08:09 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2024
Location: St. Augustine
Posts: 2
Thank you so much for the info. Again, greatly appreciated!
joe66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 09:16 AM   #4
CAG
Senior Member
 
CAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 3,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe66 View Post
Hello. My wife and I just purchased a 2020 Greyhawk 31B, which weíre really enjoying. However weíre discovering a few issues that need to be resolved, and being this is our first RV, would truly appreciate any advice anyone can provide.

First issue involves the black tank. Yes, I have learned a very important lesson in buying a used RV - always check the tank readings and, Iím assuming, insist on dumping the tanks so they show empty before closing the deal (the only excuse I have is that, to check out the RV, we drove from FL to NC on the day that horrible storm hit a month or so ago, which turned a six hour drive into something like twelve, etc, etc.).

Looks like Iíve got a compacted tank. Iíve back flushed, and top flushed, and used enough enzymes to chew through a small townís daily production - and still the problem persists. Iím fortunate enough to be hitched a friendís house, and Iíve got my line tied into the 3Ē clean-out port for their septic tank. I only open the valve to dump - and a decent amount of liquid comes out. But still seems like I can see pooled liquid below the toilet, and the LEDs never read below 1/2. Any thoughts on what to do?

Second question is regarding water heater. Propane works, electric doesnít. The breaker looks good, and since the propane side still requires electric for sensing, control & ignition, Iím assuming power to the WH is not the issue. My guess would be a burned out heating element. The question is where is it? Definitely not seeing it inside the access hatch from the outside. Iím guessing itís going to be via the panel under the fridge (still moving in - gotta move some debris to get to that). Is that correct? Any advice on testing / replacement? Iím assuming itís going to be similar to a home WH. Test for continuity. Open means burned out. Unscrew, pull & replace?

Any help with either of these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Two suggestions for the black tank. There are wands made that can be attached to a garden hose and put down the toilet to break up a clog and clean the tank. (I made my own with 1/2inch Pex line, a shutoff valve with a hose connection. It works great for that issue.

The second suggestion is a professional to come clean the tank. They are out there and most are reasonable.


As the water heater. If all fuses/breakers check out it is likely the heating element. It only takes a couple of seconds of being turned on in an empty tank to burn it out.



Use Google on both topics to get some in-depth solutions. They are available with YouTube videos.
__________________
2018 Greyhawk 29MVP-Sold
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 10:29 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
JimD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Inland Empire, California
Posts: 2,033
Use a flashlight to view the bottom of the tank and see if there is the dreaded poop pyramid. You may be able to break it up with a long dowel.

Another thought is to use a pressure washer down the toilet drain. I would use an electric one rather than gas as the gas versions are very powerful. Use a fan tip and wrap the wand in a rag to seal it in the toilet opening. There are angle heads that would allow you to aim the wand at the sides to maybe clean the sensors.

Many of us have installed the SeeLevel sensor system which mounts the sensors on the outside of the tank which totally eliminates the dirty sensor problem.
__________________


Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
black tank, compacted, greyhawk 31b, water heater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.