Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-06-2019, 02:19 PM   #21

Just An Alternative!

Hi all, just wanted to throw my two cents in on this issue. I've been in the RV and general camping game for over 50 years and as such, have tried just about every type of cooking scenario possible. Everything from open fire grate cooking to electric appliance cooking. As an avid boon-docker, I generally like to rely on what cooks the fastest and with as little resource usage as possible. The Blackstone setup is very similar to mine, but at a cheaper cost. After using so many different types of cooking equipment, about 10 years ago, I went crazy on some Camp-Chef equipment. It all started by chance, when I found a 3 burner pro model at Cabela's in the bargain cave. The only thing wrong with it was that one of the legs was a little bent, but the price was right, and an easy fix. I also picked up the griddle top, as well as the BBQ top (both fit over the left two burners), leaving the third burner on the right open for anything from a coffee pot, frying pan or my Dutch Oven. Once I started cooking on cast iron, I realized that I was consuming fewer resources, IE: gas, power and time, when I cooked. Because cast-iron cooks very efficiently with very little heat applied.
I know a lot of people out there don't like cast-iron because of the weight, as well as the cleaning issues. But I can honestly tell you that I've personally noticed the difference in my cooking (time as well as taste). Once the iron is at cooking temp, you can maintain the heat with less resource (in my case gas). When I purchased my Eagle fifth wheel last year, I converted the gas hook-up to a quick disconnect set up, and have not looked back. On a typical 2 day weekend trip, I won't even go through a whole 40# tank for all the cooking, and heating combined on the trailer (2018 Eagle 317RLOK). When I would use my old gas grill years ago, I would go through almost 2-30# tanks in a weekend, for both cooking and heating. As far as the cleaning of cast-iron, as the metal starts to cool, just put a little warm water on it and it will bubble right off. I also use a cast-iron seasoning paste (while still warm) to keep it seasoned, as well as keeping it from rusting.
I'm not saying that everyone should go right to cast-iron. All campers have different issues and requirements when going out in the wild, including weight issues, cost of their equipment, as well as space restrictions, and even personal cooking preferences. Some people just don't like or trust cooking on cast-iron. As I stated in the beginning, this was just my experience with how I cook on the week-ends, and even on long camping trips. So have a blast out there, and as always, camp safely.
qs271a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:55 PM   #22

The actual propane use of a 17inch Blackstone is so minimal it's not even worth factoring in the cost in your decision. The salt and pepper you put on whatever you are cooking probably cost more per meal.
vegasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:38 PM   #23

I have gas quick connect on my FW for mounting a gas grill. Can I adapt a connection to the 17 inch Blackstone griddle?
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETCrockett View Post
I have gas quick connect on my FW for mounting a gas grill. Can I adapt a connection to the 17 inch Blackstone griddle?
Yes you can. It looks like this. I called blackstone and ordered a spare regulator for $10. Dissambled it and had to get a few other parts from home depot to complete. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190106_185221.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	46446
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:10 PM   #25

I put a grill mat on my gas grill. Weight and space of a legal sheet of paper.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiovette View Post
Yes you can. It looks like this. I called blackstone and ordered a spare regulator for $10. Dissambled it and had to get a few other parts from home depot to complete. Attachment 46446
I was going to do this until I realized I wanted the portability of a tank still. I hook it up to a spare 20 pound bottle I keep in the location the 3rd propane tank would be if I got the generator prep package. Gives me the option to set it up how it works best for each site.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:32 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasguy View Post
I was going to do this until I realized I wanted the portability of a tank still. I hook it up to a spare 20 pound bottle I keep in the location the 3rd propane tank would be if I got the generator prep package. Gives me the option to set it up how it works best for each site.
Add a quick connect on the bottle hose. Then you can quick connect either to the RV or the bottle. I can be fired up either way in a minute, by doing this.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:11 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Add a quick connect on the bottle hose. Then you can quick connect either to the RV or the bottle. I can be fired up either way in a minute, by doing this.
That is a an option I haven't thought of. It's a good idea but my current hose is high pressure using the factory regulator on the griddle. I would need to do a little mod...something to think about when the list of other things I want to do are done, which who am I kidding that list only grows!!
Old 01-07-2019, 06:15 AM   #29

[QUOTE=Studiovette;717663]Yes you can. It looks like this. I called blackstone and ordered a spare regulator for $

Isn't your gas flow reduced coming from your rig?

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:34 AM   #30

[QUOTE=namusmc65;717749]
Quote:
Yes you can. It looks like this. I called blackstone and ordered a spare regulator for $

Yes. I wanted to have the option of using the blkstone with and without my rig. 20lb bottles at home and with larger on my mh or tt which already have built in regulators. That's why I removed the factory regulator from the spare that i ordered.
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:03 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasguy View Post
That is a an option I haven't thought of. It's a good idea but my current hose is high pressure using the factory regulator on the griddle. I would need to do a little mod...something to think about when the list of other things I want to do are done, which who am I kidding that list only grows!!
I should have added that I bought a second (20') hose for the RV connection.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:30 PM   #32

[QUOTE=namusmc65;717749]
Quote:

What would reduce the flow? The regulator is on the tanks. I cannot think of anything beyond that. My furnace is 40K BTU, so there is at least that capability. Not sure about others, but my grill is 35K BTU total between the burners.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:14 AM   #33

40+ years of camping & cooking outdoors! I have tried many different a number of different cooking methods over the years & I now I feel like I have the right combination.

22" Blackstone Griddle
Weber Q
2 - Butane portable burners

The Blackstone is great for breakfast, burgers, stir fry, fried rice ect..
Weber - steaks, chicken, ect..
Butane Stove - Rice, pasta, - anything that the other two methods wont work on.

When you are weekend camping - its all about the food
When you are on the road - you want a good meal when you stop & sandwiches are fine for lunch but for Dinner I want something a bit more substantial!

Happy camping & Cooking
mnaquaman is offline   Reply With Quote