Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #1

Hacking after thoughts - are you backed up?

Well thank goodness we keep the site backed up. We were able to get it back online rather quickly with minimal loss.

That brings up something to think about --- do you have a backup strategy for your own data? I dont know about you, but I have a LOT of data including family pictures, movie files, music, manuals, etc, etc....and I have lost hard drives multiple times over the years....

Currently I use Time Machine for my Mac and I also backup off site using an online cloud service (IE - Crashplan, Carbonite, Mozy, etc). A lot of folks just backup locally, but what if you have a theft, fire or flood? Then it is all gone! For $5 a month, it is great piece of mind.

Do you backup your files? What is your strategy to make sure you are protected?

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #2

No. Have had many hard drives poop, just throw in a new one. Anything important is on thumb drives. I have zero faith in the security of anything stored in a "cloud" or any of the online secure storage services. As reliant as business in this country is on computers, the Web, networks, etc., I find it alarming and embarrassing how poor computer security seems to be in this country.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #3

I've got a bunch of backup procedures, it depends on *what* we're worrying about.

On my web services (phpbb form and bmark.us) I run, the databases get backed up, zipped, and copied to s3 storage twice a day. So worst case is I lose 12hrs of user content.

For my work (lots of software) I keep things pushed to remote locations like github, launchpad, and servers. So if my laptop were to go boom, there's always somewhere else with the code.

For my home files, I put important things in dropbox. I get the sync between machines, versioning, and it makes setting up a new machine nice and easy. Anything that's too big for that, I keep on a SAN device (Synology DJ212) and I backup all my local machines hourly to it. That then backs up every Monday to an attach usb drive. If a fire were to take down my house, I'd only have the stuff that's remote, but all my pics are in flickr, code up on github, and major stuff in dropbox. So there's nothing I couldn't live without.

Hope that helps.

Retired: 2014 X23B
mitechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #4

I have a file server (on which I keep all "live files") - this machine runs 24hrs/day. I have an automatic nightly incremental backup - I keep 2 years worth of backups. I then do a weekly external backup, rotating between two drive sets - one is always locked up away from home (in the office). At the moment doing a backup to the cloud is not practical even with a service that allows seeding (I have more data than the capacity of most disks provided for seeding).
Black tank Quick-e Flush, MaxxAir Vent cover, TV bracket and LCD TV, added Slideout awning, bunk ladder, added socket and reading light to top bunk, added bathroom fan switch near light switch, insulated all externally accessible storage, sealed pass through storage from interior of trailer, LED lights throughout, added LED lights to storage compartments
EnricoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #5

I burn all my pictures onto a DVD now and then and give the grandparents a copy. They love it and I have a backup if the house burned down or something. As for the rest of the stuff on the computer I can't think of anything worth worrying about.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #6

I use Carbonite to back up photos and videos off-site after losing everything to a bricked HD
Old 09-14-2013, 04:08 PM   #7

I use Time Machine to backup my entire hard drive seamlessly and effortlessly.

'06 2500 Silverado 4X4, Duramax LBZ Diesel, Firestone air bags
'08 Tracker Pro Guide V-16 Boat
'12 Pinnacle 31RLTS
taviking22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #8

Nope - good to go

Name:  untitled (2).jpg
Views: 16
Size:  12.9 KB
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #9

At home currently I am using two external hard drives. I keep one at home, then I periodically I bring my backup hard drive home from work. Once backed up I bring it back to work where it is locked up in my desk. Works good for now. My plan to buy a home server and then use my external to back up the system.

My work computer I have a large external thumbdrive in the back of the docking station, I have software setup to automatically backup and save the data to the thumbdrive.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:12 AM   #10

On the hacking subject, Some one hacked the service that Best Buys uses to send out e-mails and stole a lot of email addresses. Before I got the email about the situation someone hacked my computer and sent out emails, all ad related, to my contacts through my computer. Was told to change my password which I did and have had no more problems. Now I change my password on a regular basis. I am not that savvy about computer systems.
Don
Donr827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:47 AM   #11

occasionally back up data to a external HD and store it in the safe. If its info I may need to access regularly I keep it on a thumb drive just in case.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #12

I'm a BIG believer in regular backups. While photo editor at Texas Highways magazine, I was also the section's "computer guy." This meant I kept around 16 Mac computers updated, running, and backed up. We used Retrospect to backup every evening to dedicated hard drives, which we rotated every week. I also kept an offsite backup set at my home. In my 15 years there, we only lost ONE computer, to a power surge. The backup made getting the replacement back into production easy. Most times I needed to go into the backups were the result of human error, somebody deleting a file by mistake.

Now that I'm retired, my home MacPro desk machine has 4 internal hard drives. #1 has all OS files, applications, etc. #2 is a clone of it. #3 is my Lightroom_Library, with about 33K digital files. #4 is a clone of #3. Whenever I work in Lightroom, after I finish I use SuperDuper to clone #3 to #4. Once a month, I go to my workshop, 100 yards from house, and get the "offsite" drives; and backup the two main drives in the MacPro, plus my laptop and my wife's laptop.

In addition, we have a Time Capsule that runs all the time in the background.

After all, it is not a matter of IF a hard drive will fail; it's just a matter of WHEN. Be prepared!

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab, long box, Duramax and 3.73, SRW
Equal-i-zer 1k WDH, 2013 White Hawk 27DSRL

Los Madrones, a little slice of Texas hill country heaven
www.losmadrones.com
mikmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #13

Hacking after thoughts - are you backed up?

Anyone else getting a ton of spam email all the sudden? Wondering if its from this.
Ecfeick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:36 PM   #14

Great subject. How many times have I ultimately had to advise people to go to data recovery services. By the way, if you want your data, and it is recoverable - it typically starts at $3000 and goes up from there.

Of course that is a case where all the typical methods have failed - and usually it is businesses I'm doing this for - where that may not be as big a hit.

For me it is CrashPlan online. I have a "server" where we store everything. Crashplan makes a copy of all my data on a local USB drive every night - and I have versioning in the cloud copy of the same.

Also, if you have a buddy and are tech savy, you can do Crashplan for free. Back up to each other - with encryption so you can't see each other stuff. Pretty cool.....

But all said - whatever you do - BACK IT UP - and do it OFFSITE!

-Chak

My Write-up on managing 12V and batteries
LED Bulbs and what I did
Chakara is offline   Reply With Quote