Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2014, 11:36 PM   #1

Had A CT Scan Today

Even though I'm not "camping" these days, I still live in my 26BH fulltime in a nice WA state RV park while working a full time job. The last couple of weeks I've had on again, off again back pain (that didn't feel like a strain), and some other weird symptoms.'

This morning it started hurting really bad, so I went to the ER, where I was checked out completely. Blood, urine and a CT scan. For the scan they injected iodine into my IV line, and things went downhill after that. I started tasting iodine in my mouth, felt pressure in my throat, then had a strong urge to barf for several minutes.

After a few dry heaves and tears in my eyes, things settled down. It was a very unpleasant situation, but I survived. And the good news is that nothing bad was found internally- no cancer, blockages, or any other problems with my internal plumbing. Knowing that is a definite relief.

It's good to know that my problem is just a bad back, but I'd really rather had been at work today.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:04 AM   #2
Site Team

Read up on Sciatica. I have been plagued with it lately and it sounds similar to my pain.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:02 AM   #3

Wow, my wife is going to the same exact problems for the past week, so our camping has been put on hold. We've been going to the chiropractor all week, and finally Urgent Care for a quick x-ray. Ended up in ER yesterday morning and they gave her 3 different meds via IV; she was knocked out in a few minutes, and it was the first sleep she got in a week. We were told the meds would last 8 hours, and they wore off in 2.5 hrs, and pains were worse than ever. The doctor and chiropractor said exactly the opposite, so now we're all confused. Hospital Dr. said Sciatica because it's down the front of the leg, and the chiropractor said Sciatica is down the back of the leg. probably going for MRI next. I am concerned about Lyme, as she has had it twice in the past. Good luck to you, SmokerBill, hope you feel better.
NY RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:44 AM   #4

Hope you get a treatment figured out
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:59 AM   #5

Same deal for me...determined sciatica and seeing the chiropractor several times each week. Feel better!

FireCapt564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:40 AM   #6

SmokerBill- Sorry to hear about you back problems...hope it gets better soon. Next CT you have with contrast (injected iodine stuff), make sure you tell them you had an allergic reaction to it. The reaction can be quite more severe that you experienced so be careful and good luck.
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:51 AM   #7

Always very good news to hear you don't have the big "C"!!

Hope you find relief for your back pain!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #8

Thanks everyone. The back feels a little better today, and there are no lingering aftereffects from the iodine. I didn't consider it to be an allergic reaction, but my body didn't like it, for sure. I will study up on sciatica.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #9
Site Team

I had a steroid shot 8 months ago and it stopped the pain immediately. Had another one this Wed. and it stopped it again. I have a MRI scheduled next week.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I had a steroid shot 8 months ago and it stopped the pain immediately. Had another one this Wed. and it stopped it again. I have a MRI scheduled next week.
Good luck with the MRI. They bother some, but I feel like I'm in a bunk in the RV and actually relax. My wife thinks I'm not normal, but it works for me!
NY RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #11

Bill glad to hear it's not anything more serious than age. I don't so much hate getting old. As my grandfather used to say, any damn fool can be young, so getting old ain't so bad, but the falling apart just sucks.

NY RVer, I relax too.......almost to the point of falling asleep. I usually have at least 1 MRI annually. So far this year I've had 5 already........with another 6 months, who knows I could set a new record this year.

I have a condition called Acromegaly resulting from a pituitary tumor they discovered in 2000. In simple terms it causes the body to produce an overabundance of HGH (human growth hormone). In adolescents it results in giantism. In adults it attacks the soft tissues (organs, muscles, tendons, joints, etc., etc.). Normally, by time it is diagnosed, most patients are to the point of almost incapacitated. I was lucky, I pushed on in my Architectural career for almost 9 more years. Now I'm on full disability. So far this year (May and April), I've gone through an Occipital Lobe Craniotomy and a full hip replacement, thus the record setting MRI attempt...... and Bill, havinfun is right, it does sound like you had at the least a minor allergic reaction to the contrasting agent. Be sure a tell any future techs if you have to any more scans about the reaction.....it can and usually does get worse with each instance. Severe reactions can lead to cardiac arrest.

Just a suggestion for those of you that are experiencing the joint and muscle pains of our advancing years.....on the 1-10 pain scale a normal day for me is 5-6. Over the past 14 years of battling this condition (no cure, just treatment and control... which we have achieved), I've come to accept this daily situation and have adapted to the greatest extent. Something I count on almost daily is simple Tai Chi exercises

The routine for beginners and seniors is really easy to pick up and has helped me tremendously maintain my joint movements, flexibility and keeping my muscles elongated. A former employer, who was fighting rheumatoid arthritis, turned me onto it.

You can only take so many cortisone shots and they wear off.....while you don't feel much pain anymore, the damage is still going on because the condition is still present......preventive in lieu of reactive treatments are better for our bodies.

You might look into it Bill........the slow rhythmic movements and breathing elements of the exercise causes no impact results and helps keep the joints limber and the muscles and tendons stretched. If I've learned anything in the past 14 years, it's when it comes to our health and our medical treatment, we are our own best advocates and first line of defense..........doctors and meds are the second line.

Bill, I hope the best for you man........I know for sure just how bad that pain in the back can get.
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #12

Hey, I'm feeling better every day now. I had to take one muscle relaxer yesterday morning, and none today. My back started to seize up a little today after some contorting at work, but I popped a few ibuprofens, rested a while, and all was well.

Yeah, it sucks getting old(er). Can't stop the process, no matter how hard I try.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:41 AM   #13

Glad to hear you're improving Bill....

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote