Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2022, 09:51 PM   #1

Had to Laugh: About Moderators

Today I actually met someone from the forum. We got to talking and he said that one of his concerns with this forum is that Moderators must pay people for saying good things. When I asked him what he meant he started quoting 2 of my posts! I had to laugh. I asked him why he thought that and he said that my posts just promote the "site" and have nothing to do with RV'ing.

I had a few moments so I pulled up two other sites and showed him why I like our forum. He still wasn't convinced that "I" wasn't getting some type of promotional consideration.

After we spent a few more minutes talking about RV's, I told him who I was. Sorry, I just had to laugh when I saw his reaction.

He said he now believes that my posts are sincere. I told him I was going to publish this and and he said " go ahead, I deserve it." But, he is a great guy, had only been around for a little while, so I will protect his identity.

Good things happen to good people and for those of you who understand, our Moderators make this site one of the best on the Internet; they deserve our thanks and our support.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 10:02 PM   #2

Well said. I used to visit and contribute to a few other RV forums but got turned off to them by the bickering and condescending attitudes. This is now my Go To forum for sharing and learning new things about the the RV’ing world we live in. It’s like a sitting by a warm campfire with good friends….

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 06:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
Well said. I used to visit and contribute to a few other RV forums but got turned off to them by the bickering and condescending attitudes.
Well stated, Lee. I've been on too many forums, not just RV related, in which if you weren't one of the "originals" or "old timers", your opinions were immediately dismissed or dissected to show why you were totally wrong (whether you were or weren't).

It would often lead to new members not responding to questions, for fear that they would fall victim to this behavior when, very often, the question was actually in their wheelhouse.

I've witnessed it here from time to time, to a VERY small extent. But overall, all opinions are respected and listened to. And if not exactly right, education often follows and we all learn together.
2019 Jayco Jayflight 28RLS (New York)
The latest government survey finds that 3 out of 4 people account for 75% of the total population.
JB13502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 08:50 AM   #4

I love it when things like that happen! When I was in Law Enforcement I arrested an 18 year old kid for a minor offense. When the father came to pick up his son, he handed me a business card and explained that he was "Good Friends" with the officer who gave him the card and asked if there was anything I could do to help his son out with this situation.

The only twist was it was one of MY business card he handed to me. I toyed with him a little by asking how he knew the officer and let him lock himself into a story before I handed him one of my cards. His face was priceless!!!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:31 AM   #5

I'm on several forums. This one is filled with the kindest, most helpful people. It is like that because RVers are generally nice people, and because the moderators here are second to none.

I'm sure they deal with a lot of cr*p from some members, but I for one sure appreciate how they keep the rest of us in line. It's like the difference between having parents who send boundaries and enforced them for their kids vs. those who just didn't care. We all know which type turned out better kids.

Well done moderators. I for one hope to sit around a fire with you in person some day. Thank you for all you do for the JOF community.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 12:04 PM   #6
CAG

I do agree that the Mods here do an excellent job with the forum and yes they do deal with some crabby people. I moderate a forum on hunting/fishing and sometimes people are just rude. Firm and truthful is one thing but some are just not nice.

I did not find what some mentioned here with other RV sites but then I only used one previously, for 9 years and that was Heartland. Everyone was helpful and polite there as well.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:27 PM   #7

Traveling, what an awesome post! I’ll echo all the positive comments. I lurked this site quite a bit before buying our first TT and learned so many critical things. After upgrading to our current 5th I find I’m still learning. The process never stops. There are many “characters” on this forum that I’ve never met but feel we are neighbors and look forward to their posts.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:49 PM   #8

I totally agree — the JOF moderators are the best. They don’t just police the forum (which they do very well) but are among the first to provide thoughtful, kind advice and information. Thanks to them!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 11:00 PM   #9

Redhorse, I too studied the site for 6 months before we purchased out trailer. I stumbled across the forum and found the contributors to be very educational. I really credit this forum for a lot of the peace of mind that the DW and I have experienced through the steep learning curve after purchasing our first RV. Everytime we have had an issue one of the contributors has helped solve the problem.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 03:07 PM   #10

I frequent many auto type forums, and was an admin on a Mustang site. It's not a lot of fun being an admin, as you spend quite a bit of your personal time chasing hackers and forum "misfits", tracking IP addresses to ban them from re-joining the same forum to do nothing more than causing additional trouble.

Hats off to the mods and admin folks here that do a great job keeping this forum enjoyable.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 04:55 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
Today I actually met someone from the forum. We got to talking and he said that one of his concerns with this forum is that Moderators must pay people for saying good things. When I asked him what he meant he started quoting 2 of my posts! I had to laugh. I asked him why he thought that and he said that my posts just promote the "site" and have nothing to do with RV'ing.

I had a few moments so I pulled up two other sites and showed him why I like our forum. He still wasn't convinced that "I" wasn't getting some type of promotional consideration.

After we spent a few more minutes talking about RV's, I told him who I was. Sorry, I just had to laugh when I saw his reaction.

He said he now believes that my posts are sincere. I told him I was going to publish this and and he said " go ahead, I deserve it." But, he is a great guy, had only been around for a little while, so I will protect his identity.

Good things happen to good people and for those of you who understand, our Moderators make this site one of the best on the Internet; they deserve our thanks and our support.
The check's in the mail - thanks for your good posts

Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 05:14 PM   #12

As the Administrator of another Forum, I know it's a Forum's administrator and moderators that will either keep a forum going or it going to hell. This forum has the best moderators and have even moderated me, when it was needed.

A moderator on my forum told me of another forum, that at one time, had 10,000 members. The administrator made the decision to allow political opinions to be posted. In a matter of less than 6 months, that forum died due to the hate and discontent that was allowed.

A toast to the volunteer moderators here!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 12:12 PM   #13

I look forward to the Jaycoowners emails. I've learned a lot from my fellow members and appreciate their views. I need to thank the mods as well as they keep it focused and fun.
"Use it or loose it."
SkipperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 12:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipperD View Post
I look forward to the Jaycoowners emails. I've learned a lot from my fellow members and appreciate their views. I need to thank the mods as well as they keep it focused and fun.
Well said, Skipper!
I've learned a lot from this forum and have gained wonderful ideas for mods, maintenance, and travel. I have a file of notes and ideas gleaned from the vast and helpful experience represented here. Although I own a very small trailer, no one has ever looked down their 5th wheel at me. I really appreciate JOF and look forward to it's regular postings. Thank you all! It's nice being here!
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 10:11 PM   #15

This is one of the good forums on the net. I have benefited gratefully from this forum and have never been talked down to for asking a question. I think the only dumb question is the one not asked. Everyone was a newbie at one time in their life and we've all needed help at some time. I belong to one other forum and that's a tractor forum that does a good job of keeping it family friendly. I have been a part of many forums but this and the tractor forum are the only two I frequent anymore because of the way they are moderated, Thanks for the great job you all do.
KWDAILYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 11:54 AM   #16

This is the place to go for all the answers on camping, campers, tow vehicles and how to fix just about anything. There is so much that can be learned here. Thanks to the moderators for making this forum great.

Tags
moderators