Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-12-2022, 03:01 PM   #1

Thumbs up Hanging it up for awhile

After much deliberation and consternation, my family has decided to move on from this hobby for now. Possibly for good, we shall see. I've tried this once before a few years back, however as time has passed our resolve has strengthened way more than it was the first time I walked away.

As I look back on my years in this hobby, I will forever be thankful for the memories it created with my wife and kids, the places we visited, the laughs we had, the calories we consumed, etc.

However, looking back on this hobby it is not lost on me the tremendous amount of money I have spent to acquire all the above. Not to mention the endless maintenance, poor craftsmanship / non-existent quality, constant worry about whether everything would work, shortened trips when things failed in spectacular fashion, and lots of trips to the dealer for repairs.

I do however have quite the assortment of tools I've since acquired; owning a RV has forced me to be handy and creative in ways I could not have imagined when I started out. I digress.

I've owned way more Jayco units then I have a right to (plenty of stupid mistakes and learning experiences), a Sunseeker, Rockwood, and a Winnebago. I know this is a Jayco forum, but I will say for sure that my recently sold Winnie was built better. It may not have looked as nice inside, and may have missed many amenities that Jayco includes, but at least it was built with a modicum of effort and it showed everywhere I looked, shined a light, etc.

However - it was still not worth the price I paid, and I was unwilling to attempt to 'fix' it by throwing money at another unit. As I had done so often in the past.

Some things I've come away with in this hobby? I've pretty much decided that motorized is not the way for me. Mostly as you have an entire ungodly sum of money tied up in a product that is of questionable quality, and sinks like a rock in value (COVID years aside). Also, motorized units are remarkably complex with all the systems; many avenues for failure (I know first hand many many times over). Finally, servicing these units is becoming more and more problematic every year (in my experience). I've lost 3 Ford dealers around me that used to service RVs, but no more.

If I ever go back into it, I'm probably going to pull something. Split the cost across something I should reasonably expect to work the lion's share of the time (the truck), and limit the complexity and financial exposure of the hobby portion of it (the RV). Plus I wouldn't have to sweat where the truck could be serviced; it could be serviced at any brand's dealership.

Next year we're going to load up the SUV and head to a swanky Hilton with a beautiful balcony, hot tub, and comfortable rooms. I'll see if I miss the hobby after that trip and go from there. But for now? I'm going to sit back, relax, and enjoy the decreased monthly expenses for an item I used 28 nights / year on average.

It's sort of liberating actually.

I may post from time to time if I can add value to the threads I see. Aside from that, enjoy the journey gang !

Jopopsy

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 03:07 PM   #2

Good luck and I respect your decision!!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 03:27 PM   #3

Enjoy your new "vacation life style", but don't leave, many can benefit from your experiences.
Old 09-12-2022, 03:48 PM   #4

Good Luck and you are always welcome to stay aboard and participate.

I have been camping both tents or with some type of camper since I was fairly young (still tent camp many nights a year). I will admit, I like the hotel mini suit comfort of a new camper. I am scared of the new controls systems. I really don't want anything like JayCommand/BmPro, or auto leveling. On these new RVs if something fails, you can ruin a trip or two. I am very handy always have been. But the electronics are so integrated in some of these systems they are not easily field repairable.

Pre-Covid I traveled a lot for work. Lots of nice hotels, and crummy ones. I have always looked forwards to sleeping in my own bed, and cooking my own food, either in the SB house or the TT.

I have never owned a MH, but have rented a few. I like the idea of a Super C. But you are paying for a lot for the base vehicle that for most people do not use very much. They only depreciate in value, not like physical property like a house.

We are considering what our next camper will be. I tried to convince the DW to consider a small lake cabin. Nope, she is not having it. We consider our TT, our mobile cabin. We take it wherever we are going in the continental US. Our next camper, might be a 5ver, we have found a few on paper we like. I have no expectations that it will be perfect. I expect to fix a few things no matter the brand. What I would really like to do, is buy custom gooseneck race trailer and build into a RV, that has a similar basic floor plan as our 23B. Build it the way I want it, with the quality I want, and access to the critical components. I choose how difficult it will be to maintain in the future.

I know where you are coming from. Good luck and please feel free to continue to participate in the forum.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 04:08 PM   #5
Site Team

We'll all give up this lifestyle sooner or later, and although the RV may be gone, your insight, knowledge, and experience will still be there. We wish you the best on your next adventures, but it would be great if you stick around here with the rest of us. We don't mind that you'll be what my father called "hangar flying" when he sold his last airplane. He still loved his sport and would hang around the local airport with his friends. You're always welcome to do the same here with us.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 04:17 PM   #6

I understand your points and appreciate that you have given it your all. Stay close and provide guidance where you can. Help those just jumping in and keep them grounded as they begin their entry into the slippery slope of the RV lifestyle.

It is truly not for the faint of heart or for someone who doesn't know which endbif a screw driver to use. I manage a bus company in my second career and am very mechanically inclined. I probably carry more money in spare parts and tools than the average RV'r but there isn't much I can't handle roadside in my travel trailer. I agree 100% on the motor home aspect, especially if you can only camp a few months out of the year. As for the complexity angle, I'm not so sure the living quarters are that much different than a TT or fiver. The chassis and drivetrain absolutely..

Anyway best of luck to you and your family. You always have a place to come back to here.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 05:35 PM   #7

My family calls it "key card camping".
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 06:05 PM   #8

For us it's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle.

Flying RC Airplanes is a hobby we both enjoy

Her P-51, my B-25

Wish you the best of Luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Kathy's P-51.jpg   RC-2.jpg  

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 06:21 PM   #9

Thank you for all that you’ve contributed to the forum and please keep an eye on us. Experience and wisdom are always welcome and helpful! It sounds like you’ve put a lot of thought into your decision and we wish you the best.

Five years ago, when we retired and bought our first trailer, we agreed we’d use the heck out of it for five years, then see if we still want — and are able — to keep RVing. If not, we’d do like you and let it go. So far, so good, although it’s not quite as much fun as it was at first. In just five years, I’ve noticed a lot more crowded parks (meaning no spontaneous trips) and more campers who are less courteous and noisy. I’m hoping it’s just the “Covid crush” and those newbies will give it up. If not, in five years, or less, we may be “key card camping” too!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 06:22 PM   #10

The RV lifestyle is expensive no doubt. RV's are expensive to buy and to maintain not to mention they typically don't hold their value very well (COVID not withstanding). Those of us who pull our RV's need a HD truck in many cases to pull the expensive RV. Before we bought our RV I went from a half ton truck that pulled anything I ever needed to very well and would get 21 mpg highway and average 19 daily driving. Now I have a rough riding truck that averages 13-14 mpg just so I can pull our camper a few times a year lol. But for us we do find some value in having one and always make good memories.

Best of health and fortune to you and your family!
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 07:41 PM   #11

I've walked away from it twice so far, so I understand. First time was after 4 Class A units when I decided I wasn't truly competent to drive a big bus anymore. Two years off and wanderlust set in. Got a Winnebago on a Sprinter chassis and had it for a couple of years, but didn't love it like I did the prior motorhomes, so it mostly sat. I share your dislike for having a motorized vehicle sitting around. I sold during Covid, and a dealer paid me what I paid (could have gotten more, but the convenience of selling to a dealer made it worth it). Driving home the 300 miles from the dealer I told my wife "I already miss not having a bathroom with me!" Those of you, particularly males, who are in their 70s or older can likely empathize. So, now the adventure starts over with a towable, for all of the reasons you said. It will be interesting to hear if you do go this way.
Past: 2015 Winnebago View, 2004 Blue Bird M380, 1990 Blue Bird WB40, 2003 Safari Zanzibar, 1998 Safari Sahara

DonBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 02:49 AM   #12

As a business traveler for a decade or two returning to hotel living has the same appeal to me that RV travel has for you.

If I sold my Jayo I would upgrade to a Gregory Baltoro 65. Solidly built, great adjustability, versatile, and dependable.
Old 09-13-2022, 05:15 AM   #13
Site Team

I can agree with your reasoning too. Only in our case it is an alternate lifestyle that we really enjoy. We use our rig at least 150 nights a year so we don’t feel as you do when it’s in our yard a lot less. We hope to finish our camping lifestyle just before our age and common sense call a halt.
Please visit and contribute, as your experience and opinions are priceless.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 05:27 AM   #14

Good luck my friend. Always respected your insight here. Wishing you the very best life gives you. Take care and best wishes to you and your family.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 06:46 AM   #15

I wish you the best. After 37 years of tents, a pop-up, and 2 hybrid trailers, we hung it up and sold our trailer in April. And we found aside from campfires, we really aren't missing it. We've been renting cottages and travel trailers though AirNB. Everything is so crazy simple now and we aren't burned out on travel day/set up day.

But yeah, stick around. Everyone can benefit from your experience. I'm certainly still enjoying this community.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 07:30 AM   #16

All things come to an end in due time. Some we can control, some we can't. This is well within your control and it sounds like a rational and reasonable decision. I hope it works for you.

I have been wrestling with the same issue for a while now. We love doing the rv thing, have for over 40 years now, but I'm 75 and know at some point it will come to an end. I kind of dread it as it is part of our independence to do what we want when we want. Right now we are both in good health and able to do pretty much anything reasonable for folks our age, including hiking in the Colorado mountains, which is where we are now.

I fully understand the frustrations that can come with dealing with a motorized rv. We had a diesel pusher for 7 years and I finally told the wife I was done with the expense and the frustration of trying to get someone to work on it. That was 2012 and told her the only way I felt I could stay with this hobby was to get a truck and trailer. We sold the motorhome and ordered an Excel fifth wheel and diesel truck. We kept the Excel for 7 years and only had it in the shop twice. In 2020 we traded it for our Pinnacle and I ordered a new F350 to go with it. I guess I'm lucky as the Pinnacle has had very few issues, with only a couple needing to go back to the dealer for correction.

Good luck and stay connected. Experience is a great teacher and sharing it is a good thing.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 11:04 AM   #17

Good Move, Well documented!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
After much deliberation and consternation, my family has decided to move on from this hobby for now. Possibly for good, we shall see. I've tried this once before a few years back, however as time has passed our resolve has strengthened way more than it was the first time I walked away.

As I look back on my years in this hobby, I will forever be thankful for the memories it created with my wife and kids, the places we visited, the laughs we had, the calories we consumed, etc.

However, looking back on this hobby it is not lost on me the tremendous amount of money I have spent to acquire all the above. Not to mention the endless maintenance, poor craftsmanship / non-existent quality, constant worry about whether everything would work, shortened trips when things failed in spectacular fashion, and lots of trips to the dealer for repairs.

I do however have quite the assortment of tools I've since acquired; owning a RV has forced me to be handy and creative in ways I could not have imagined when I started out. I digress.

I've owned way more Jayco units then I have a right to (plenty of stupid mistakes and learning experiences), a Sunseeker, Rockwood, and a Winnebago. I know this is a Jayco forum, but I will say for sure that my recently sold Winnie was built better. It may not have looked as nice inside, and may have missed many amenities that Jayco includes, but at least it was built with a modicum of effort and it showed everywhere I looked, shined a light, etc.

However - it was still not worth the price I paid, and I was unwilling to attempt to 'fix' it by throwing money at another unit. As I had done so often in the past.

Some things I've come away with in this hobby? I've pretty much decided that motorized is not the way for me. Mostly as you have an entire ungodly sum of money tied up in a product that is of questionable quality, and sinks like a rock in value (COVID years aside). Also, motorized units are remarkably complex with all the systems; many avenues for failure (I know first hand many many times over). Finally, servicing these units is becoming more and more problematic every year (in my experience). I've lost 3 Ford dealers around me that used to service RVs, but no more.

If I ever go back into it, I'm probably going to pull something. Split the cost across something I should reasonably expect to work the lion's share of the time (the truck), and limit the complexity and financial exposure of the hobby portion of it (the RV). Plus I wouldn't have to sweat where the truck could be serviced; it could be serviced at any brand's dealership.

Next year we're going to load up the SUV and head to a swanky Hilton with a beautiful balcony, hot tub, and comfortable rooms. I'll see if I miss the hobby after that trip and go from there. But for now? I'm going to sit back, relax, and enjoy the decreased monthly expenses for an item I used 28 nights / year on average.

It's sort of liberating actually.

I may post from time to time if I can add value to the threads I see. Aside from that, enjoy the journey gang !

Jopopsy
I'm with you. The Jayco sloppy and defective construction has worn on me as well. My wife has thrown down the ultimatum, and I'm not choosing the Seneca!

Damian & Sally Neeld
2018 Seneca HJ
Carmel, IN
dneeld52 is offline   Reply With Quote