Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-05-2018, 07:33 AM   #21

HF 3500 predator here

$650 for mine. Only problem is a rough idle, cleaned plug, and tank also put seafoam in 92 oct. gas, runs fine now. The true test will be this coming spring summer and fall
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:13 AM   #22
Lost in the Woods

Something living in hurricane country has taught me that has been really helpful: Gas goes bad because ethanol is plant-based and it grows algae and bacteria which clogs filters and degrades seals and hoses.

Seafoam is excellent but has a lifespan of maybe 6 months.

If you can find NON-Ethanol gas, fuel lifespan quadruples. Here it is only sold in a couple places, but the WaWa stations seem to always have it. It costs more, as do most good things.

I buy 100 gallons in drums at the start of hurricane season every year (in 55 gal steel drums in the back of my truck, properly bonded to the pump with copper wires and bonding clamps...never do this if you don't know how...PM me and I can explain what I do.)

I've never had any go bad since. Once November comes, I pump the gas into vehicles, generators, etc. until it is gone.
RayBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:32 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBo View Post
Something living in hurricane country has taught me that has been really helpful: Gas goes bad because ethanol is plant-based and it grows algae and bacteria which clogs filters and degrades seals and hoses.

Seafoam is excellent but has a lifespan of maybe 6 months.

If you can find NON-Ethanol gas, fuel lifespan quadruples. Here it is only sold in a couple places, but the WaWa stations seem to always have it. It costs more, as do most good things.

I buy 100 gallons in drums at the start of hurricane season every year (in 55 gal steel drums in the back of my truck, properly bonded to the pump with copper wires and bonding clamps...never do this if you don't know how...PM me and I can explain what I do.)

I've never had any go bad since. Once November comes, I pump the gas into vehicles, generators, etc. until it is gone.
Have you considered going with a dual fuel/propane powered unit in your situation. I'm seriously considering going that route on my next generator purchase.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:49 AM   #24
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Have you considered going with a dual fuel/propane powered unit in your situation. I'm seriously considering going that route on my next generator purchase.
I have that for the house. It's fantastic. Mine's 12000w and runs on propane or gas. I use it at the house to run the refrigerators and a couple A/C units. The propane can purge the carburetor after running gas, which has more power per dollar.

I still advocate non-ethanol gas. Also, my Seneca has a diesel generator, so that's out. Compression ignition and propane don't mix. :-)

I recently got this one (when my previous one took a dive.): https://www.homedepot.com/p/Duromax-...00EH/300659728

It has a lot of great features, including a direct 50amp RV socket, key start, etc.
RayBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:00 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBo View Post
I have that for the house. It's fantastic. Mine's 12000w and runs on propane or gas. I use it at the house to run the refrigerators and a couple A/C units. The propane can purge the carburetor after running gas, which has more power per dollar.

I still advocate non-ethanol gas. Also, my Seneca has a diesel generator, so that's out. Compression ignition and propane don't mix. :-)

I recently got this one (when my previous one took a dive.): https://www.homedepot.com/p/Duromax-...00EH/300659728

It has a lot of great features, including a direct 50amp RV socket, key start, etc.

Thanks for the link. Looks like a nice unit for the house.

My problem here is that all of my equipment is diesel except for one push lawn mower. I simply don't use enough gas on a regular basis to be able to rotate any significant stock fast enough. It will be very easy to store a 100# propane tank or two long term.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Old 01-29-2018, 09:19 PM   #26

Looks like they're back on sale. $659 for the 3500 and $449 for the 2K.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:49 PM   #27

This topic has been discussed many times and everyone likes a deal, myself included. My experience: Over the years I've had several RV's and each time upgraded. I do a fair amount of boondocking so a dependable genset is a priority. I prefer a generator over Solar with a large battery bank; but that is another discussion. Initially I shopped around for an inverter style generator and although the Honda was the one I wanted, I found others that seemed like a good alternative for a lot less. Started having problems and couldn't find anyone to service it and nowhere to get info or parts if needed so trashed it and bought another. After a while it was "deja vu". Expensive lesson learned for me the hard way. Obviously they weren't a deal; but rather a waste of my money. I had enough and the next one, I bit the bullet and paid the higher price and bought a Honda Inverter. Great warranty, dealer and service dept are 20 minutes away and access to all parts. I also requested the "service/shop manual" (not user manual) which was given to me on a DVD at time of purchase "free!" Expensive lesson; but I'm a happy boondocker now! A great deal! IMO "The old saying you get what you pay for" holds true with quality and workmanship of Honda generators.
KennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:54 AM   #28

If you can afford a honda, buy one. If not, there's many other brands that are good.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:56 AM   #29
Site Team

I have a 10 year old Honda 2000i and have found enough videos on YouTube to fix most routine troubles and maintenance.
The key to keeping any of them dependable is to use good non-ethanol gas and run it once a month under load for 1/2 hour or more.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:48 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I have a 10 year old Honda 2000i and have found enough videos on YouTube to fix most routine troubles and maintenance.
The key to keeping any of them dependable is to use good non-ethanol gas and run it once a month under load for 1/2 hour or more.
Is it easy to find non-ethanol gas in your area? It is next to impossible to find it here.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:48 AM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Is it easy to find non-ethanol gas in your area? It is next to impossible to find it here.
No problema finding it here. About 80 cents more a gallon though.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:17 AM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
No problema finding it here. About 80 cents more a gallon though.
We had one Mobile station that used to carry it. I haven't seen it in several years however.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:17 AM   #33
Site Team

It’s commonly available where we are but expensive but worth it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:22 AM   #34

I have found this website very useful when looking for pure gas.

https://www.pure-gas.org
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:28 AM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
I have found this website very useful when looking for pure gas.

https://www.pure-gas.org
Thanks for the link. It looks like the closest available is approximately 20 miles from home for me.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:35 PM   #36

Quote:
Thanks for the link. It looks like the closest available is approximately 20 miles from home for me.
Don't fully trust the website as the only places to get non oxygenated gas. When I look up my area, there is about 10 stations listed. I know of a bunch more stations that are not listed.

If you have any stations that are near boating areas, ATV trails, or other locations where small engines or old engines may congregate, you will have a good chance of finding Non-Oxygenated fuels.

Key is to look for this sticker on the pumps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	non ox.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	37008

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:11 AM   #37

So, I probably treated my Yamaha generator (2400) as bad as you can. Ran for long weekends, about 14hr each day, one or two times a year. The rest of the time it sat. During winter I'd start it once or twice before a storm to make sure it worked. After 10 years it is still doing well.

Always used reg pump gas with ethanol. Always added Stabil. The Yamaha does have a fuel shutoff on the front panel. I always used that to shut it off.

But, things can go bad. I had an el cheapo gas weed eater. After 12 years it finally gave up. May have been the gas (also using Stabil) but may have just been because it was cheap and got worn out. It was used a lot more in a year than the generator.

So, no I never take the time to find non-ethanol gas.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:49 AM   #38

Warranties. An offered warranty isn’t necessarily a sign of the manufacturer’s confidence in their product’s quality. Also that warranty is a cost. Every manufacturer covers that cost in their selling price. So, you can feel great about a 1 year or long warranty, but make no mistake, you’re paying for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk