Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > General Jayco RV Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2018, 04:34 AM   #21

Roadside is great if and when they come out I have heard horror story's.[/QUOTE]

We had a blowout in the middle of nowhere on Easter Sunday afternoon. Called Good Sam Roadside assistance. A guy was there in his battered pick up truck in less than 30 minutes. Said he was just sitting around waiting for family to arrive for a late Easter dinner. Had us on the road in less than 20 minutes. Great service for Good Sam, for us anyway.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodro123 View Post
I have only seen 12 ton bottle jack's that go up to 18 inches high. To change a tire on a Eagle the height of the frame is 23" and need to go up 4 inches to change the tire. Where a Floor jack goes up to 28"

Roadside is great if and when they come out I have heard horror story's.
Wooden or plastic blocks under the standard bottle jack provide the extra lift height. I have a small 2 ton bottle I carry and after chocking the opposite side wheels I set up a wide base out of the wooden blocks so that it is close enough to the spring bracket so there is enough lift from the jack. Loosen the lugs before jacking the axle then raise, remove lugs, and remount the spare. Just use care to block the opposite side and I leave the TT attached to the TV to prevent roll. A flat at road speeds will typically destroy the tire so you might as well tow very slowly to a safe place to change to the spare.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:29 AM   #23

I also have the Trailer Aid ramp. The one time I needed to have a tire removed, Good Sam people finally came.

The guy was going to put a jack under the trailer. I asked if we could try the Trailer Aid (since I had never had to use it). He was fine with that, so I backed the trailer up on the Trailer Aid. Worked like a charm.

Different trailer now, so hope it will work as well should I have a tire problem.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:18 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I travel with an EZ jack which can be used for chocking, leveling and tire changing.

https://www.etrailer.com/tv-Demo-Bla...k-EZ-JACK.aspx
EZ Jack is the ticket! With a battery operated impact, I've changed a street side tire in just a few minutes on a very busy highway. Very slick device, and the Trailer Aid is the same concept.
I'm very sad now that we've gone to the 27DSRL, the axles are too far apart to use it anymore. I changed a suspicious (bald) tire in a Walmart parking lot as a preventative measure this last trip with the bottle jack from my truck.
Tom51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:56 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
I blew a tire while I was on an interstate on my popup that I used to own. I had a bottle jack and a spare--thought I was all set 'till I realized I had no lug wrench. I got really lucky--there was a Sears within walking distance just down the embankment and they took good care of me.

Another time I lost the right hand tire of my boat trailer on I-75 in Michigan. I was in the left lane and pulled off to the left shoulder to change the tire. I thought the 80 MPH traffic was going to blow my butt off while I was working!

But I survived and now you guys have to read my boring stories...
Reminds me of my brother blowing a tire on his PU. He was following me. We were in downtown St. Paul, we just switched from I-94 east to I-35E north in a construction zone. DW gets a text they blow the tire. I pulled off at the first exit to figure out what they are doing. No response. I know my brother, so I will need to act. They never reply and don't show up, so he pulled over somewhere behind me. I loop around, pull into downtown St. Paul with the HTT, to loop back onto the freeway. I found him. He found a spot big enough to pull over for the both of us.

Like I say I know my brother. He does not have the right tools. No jack that will work on the PU, only lug nut wrench is for his VW van (metric), it does not fit the PU.

I pull out my kit. Put a 2 prong flasher in my 7pin connector. Now all my lights are flashing hazards, including the upper marker lights. Safety vest is on. I had to use my gear to change out his tire.

When all done, he and his DW, are giving me grief as I have a safety vest in my kit, and being worn, all my HTT lights are flashing, we are clearly visible. Traffic is moving over as we are on a bend/hill not in the most noticeable spot for oncoming traffic.

Next time, I might just keep roll'n, not!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:04 PM   #26

Do those "trailer aid" ramps work well on dual axles trailers with leaf spring axles? Needing something but I'm getting mixed answers on whether they do or not.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:43 PM   #27

I have a Trailer Aid and it worked great with the torsion axles on my horse trailer. I now have a Jayco Toy Hauler and tried it at home for a test and it does not work with the leaf spring system. One tire went up on the Trailer Aid but the other tire was still on the ground. Glad I found this out at home rather than on the side of the road. I carry a 12 ton hydraulic jack. Hope I never need it though.
La Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:48 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Reminds me of my brother blowing a tire on his PU. He was following me. We were in downtown St. Paul, we just switched from I-94 east to I-35E north in a construction zone. DW gets a text they blow the tire. I pulled off at the first exit to figure out what they are doing. No response. I know my brother, so I will need to act. They never reply and don't show up, so he pulled over somewhere behind me. I loop around, pull into downtown St. Paul with the HTT, to loop back onto the freeway. I found him. He found a spot big enough to pull over for the both of us.

Like I say I know my brother. He does not have the right tools. No jack that will work on the PU, only lug nut wrench is for his VW van (metric), it does not fit the PU.

I pull out my kit. Put a 2 prong flasher in my 7pin connector. Now all my lights are flashing hazards, including the upper marker lights. Safety vest is on. I had to use my gear to change out his tire.

When all done, he and his DW, are giving me grief as I have a safety vest in my kit, and being worn, all my HTT lights are flashing, we are clearly visible. Traffic is moving over as we are on a bend/hill not in the most noticeable spot for oncoming traffic.

Next time, I might just keep roll'n, not!

Great idea using a 2 prong flasher in the 7 pin to get all market lights flashing... totally awesome! Brilliant!!!!
liveyourlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:23 PM   #29

I have a safety vest under my rear seat too . Liking the flasher for safety too though.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote