Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #1

Have You Been Struck......

By Lightning????

I was on RV.net and saw this post where a camper had his TT and TV both struck by lightning!!

What a scary thought!

Here's the link:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/27007385.cfm
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #2

That guy is lucky to be alive and unharmed!
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #3

I thank God have never been struck by lightning, but have had more than a couple close calls in my career as a firefighter paramedic. Something totally unnatural, or is that looney, about being on the roof of a burning home on a metal ladder swinging an axe in the middle of a thunderstorm...........

I also had the heartbreaking experience of unsuccessfully attempting to revive an 11 year old boy struck by lightning while riding his bicycle in a campground that used to be near Sea World Orlando. The parent storm the lightning came from was about 5 miles away; it was perfectly clear and the sun was shining when he was hit. The closest hospital was right next door to the campground. One of the toughest experiences of my life; I can only imagine how it impacted his family.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #4

I have had three scary experiences with lightening. First time I was in the shop lying on the concrete floor under a tractor. Lightening hit the light pole outside. Bounced me up off the floor, felt like I was being body slammed by an entire football team. Just 2 weeks ago a black walnut in the backyard got hit, lit up the whole house like a Tom & Jerry cartoon. Took out a cable outlet and the television. No other damage , but it did make my heart race for a second. Worst one, I was a mailman walking a route, suddenly a wicked cloudburst blew in, and a tree got hit maybe fifty feet from me. Knocked a large dead branch off hit the ground about ten feet in front of me. I went back to the truck changed my shorts and waited out the rest of the storm
Pitch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #5

I was about 10 years old and was playing in front of my parents' garage and I heard this frying sound. I looked over my right shoulder and there was a lightening bolt about 5" from my shoulder. It was about a couple of inches in diameter and yellow looking. It stayed there for about 10 seconds as best as I recall and then it went back up into the sky. I ran back into the garage and there was this clap of thunder like I had never heard before. I ran through the basement and up into the house screaming every inch of the way. I am 60 now and I can still see that bolt of lightening as if it happened yesterday and call still recall that sound. A few years later one night I heard what sounded like a bomb going off. The next morning I went outside and dangling in the air was the telephone line swinging in the breeze with a short piece of the pole still attached to the wire. It looked like a cannonball had been shot through the pole and cliped off the top part. This was maybe 25' from where the bolt of lightening came down when I was 10. Makes one wonder if someone is trying to tell you something.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #6

It happened to us a couple of years ago. It was storming and we were standing under a friends awning To get out of the rain when a bolt of lightning hit the tree about 15 feet from us. The camper that was next to that tree ended up with all of its electronics destroyed. The tow vehicle also had its electronics destroyed. It also blew up the land line electrical box That camper was connected to. Sounded like a bomb went off. Fortunately no injuries other than to replaceable items.

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote