Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2014, 07:10 AM   #1

Heading to Maryland from Connecticut

After checking out Assateague National Park and Ocean City online and hearing about it we have decided that late summer to head that way. so now the question is what would be the best route to take from Ct. I don't want to take I-95 over the George Washington Bridge so i would be taking the Tapan Zee Bridge to the Garden State then on to Jersey Tpke. so what regulations are there for towing a camper on the Garden State or what other routes would one suggest?

2011 GMC Serria Ext Cab LB
2012 Jayflight 22FB
edowsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:33 AM   #2

I don't know the regs for the turnpike but would think they're the same as any other major roadway. Personally, I would suggest finding a route from north Jersey to Rte. 295 south. You can take that all the way to the Delaware Memorial Bridge and its free.
Its kind of hard to avoid using the NJ turnpike so maybe take it south to Rte 195. You can then go west on 195 to 295 south. It will take a little more time but will also provide just a bit more scenery.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:58 AM   #3

If you are taking I 95 through Baltimore be aware that the Harbor Tunnel prohibits propane. This can be avoided by taking I 695 around the city.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:08 AM   #4
ADK

If going to ocean city, I would head through Delaware. Or maybe check on cost/restrictions for the ferry from Cape May.

For the NY/NJ region, I prefer 287 to go around most of it. I also do not like the Garden state... too many 0-70-0... mph changes.

2022 F350 7.3 CCLB SRW
2014 264BH
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #5

Going there this summer and will be taking DE 1 to 113 which runs right into OC.

Depending on your start point 84W is another option for crossing the Hudson. NJT, 95, 295 are all ok routes with your setup no restrictions. DEMBB is fine as well. South of the merge at Exit 7 was a construction mess with the expansion. Don't know if it opened yet, but you might consider jumping over to 295 south from there.

Highly recommend EZ pass. Call them to confirm how and where (lanes) your tags work. Some will allow you to use the express lanes while towing and others will require you go through the cash lanes to calculate the axles. I have a blue pass which is specific to my setup and allows passing through any lane without stopping. You can apply for a towing specific one. Summer can be brutal in the cash lanes!

Second when you get off the DEMBB make sure you go to DE1, do not fall for the 13 south exit which is first and is nothing but lights. The DE1 exit is about 3 miles after the 13S and in essence a bypass to 13. You will run parallel to it and cross over a few times. Continue past the Dover Air Force base and on to 113 to get to the shore.

The Cape May ferry is hard to get reservations on due to the popularity of it and will take you the same time to drive with loading and unloading. Also if you miss your time you might likely be out of luck on getting another one with your size.

From the Tapp is probably 4.5-5.5 hours towing to OC with a quick bathroom break. There are some easy on off full service gas stations when you get on 113 that are big rig friendly.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:28 PM   #6

Last time we went that way, we just went at night and had no problems. Once we got past most of the mess we stopped somewhere in NJ at a truck stop and slept a while but we were going all the way to FL.

Daytripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:52 AM   #7

For EZ-Pass: call them (you can not do this on the web page), tell them that you want a tag for towing. They will want to know the weight of the trailer and how many axles, then they will send you a special tag for towing. Mine is blue so it will not be confused with my normal white ones. I towed my camper from CT to MD last spring with no problems.
Rocket15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:23 AM   #8

I've made the trip from CT to OC many times.
Definitely take the Tappan Zee to the GSP. There are no restrictions with your trailer and its much better than dealing with the GW Bridge!

My Usual Route is 684, 287, Tappan Zee, Garden State Pkwy, NJ Turnpike, I-95, route 13 right into Ocean City