Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #1

heat ac no power!!!!!

i have a 2006 32bhds that i have owned for 2 yrs now with no problems
i went to do some cleaning this am and was gonna turn on the ac and have nothing happening at the thermastat no heat no fan no ac
i checked the breaker and its on,i have checked the furnace fuse in the breaker box and its fine
also i did cross the wires at the heater and got the fan to turn on so i have power there.
got any ideas?
robert421960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #2

Since there is power in the system (at the heater fan), but you say even the main fan setting on the t-stat does not work, it sounds to me like no power is getting to the t-stat/switch. How about taking the thermostat out of the wall and checking for loose connections or broken wires at that point. Then use a test light to make sure that there is power available at the t-stat.

If power is on the input wire, find the wire output to the fan, carefully turn the fan switch on, and check for current on that output. If no current there, t-stat switch is the problem (no power getting through it).

If no power to the switch, then you may have to trace it all the way back to the power source, and somewhere along the line, there will be a break or disconnection. You might be able to narrow it down by testing in sections where access is easier. AT THIS POINT DISCONNECT YOUR POWER SOURCE. If you are not familiar with how to test this, get or make a long test lead with alligator clips on both ends, and hook it up to a volt meter in series. Then with one end connected to the power input wire at the t-stat switch, find the same wire at some point between the switch and the power source, disconnect that wire at that point, and hook the other alligator clip to the wire. Your meter should show continuity. If not, there is a break in that wire. If OK, then do the same thing on other sections until you find the break.

I know this may sound confusing if you're not a wiring guru, but the alternative is getting an electrician to do it - usually expensive. Hope this helps. And there may be someone else out there who can suggest other possibilities.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:45 AM   #3

Most likely the circuit board in the A/C. I have a new Jayco 19RD with the same problem. My Jayco 19RD is being repaired at the present time.

When the A/C circuit board blows you apparently lose 12 volts at the thermostat so the furnace won't run either. I'm not sure how the 12 volts is furnished to the thermostat via the A/C for the furnace. I didn't trace out the wiring once I saw the A/C circuit board was melted down. When my A/C blew it sounded like someone fired a gun in the TT.
Curt class V hitch
Reese trunion WD with dual cam
AC6CV/7 ex-W8RUR since 1954

Wyotraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #4

thanks guys
well mine had not been used for a month or more untill i tried it yesterday
im still hopeful it is just the thermastat
robert421960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #5

Check on the thermostat for 12 volts on the red and blue wire of the thermostat. Red is plus 12 volts, blue is ground. If you don't have voltage at the thermostat neither the furnace or the A/C will run. If you don't have voltage check the A/C circuit board. To remove the box containing the board it requires a #2 square driver. I suspect it is the board.
Curt class V hitch
Reese trunion WD with dual cam
AC6CV/7 ex-W8RUR since 1954

Wyotraveler is offline   Reply With Quote