Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2018, 04:03 AM   #1

Help deciding on brand

We're going to buy a toy hauler for our family and have been looking at Grand Designs. Mostly because of their excellent customer service. I like the Jayco floor plans better through. How has ownership and warranty work been handled for you? Thanks for any help.
alanhenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:19 AM   #2

I haven't checked across Jayco build formats to see if they align with a 2 year on each offering, but 2 years is a long time for a defect to be identified. Ignoring a dealer's stance on doing work on a model they didn't deliver, my opinion is that you'll get a fair handling based upon the terms you agreed to when you bought the model. Know what those terms are, ask a list of questions, take notes, confirm with an email before you buy, enjoy working with the dealer you select.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:23 PM   #3

We have friends with Grand Design...seems not so grand. Been back and back and back to dealership.

Pick the floorplan you like best and buy it...that's the best choice!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:25 PM   #4

Warranty is never really the issue. It almost is 100% made or broke by the dealership you work with. The better question to ask is if the dealer(s) you are looking to do business with, will take care of you after the sale. If you were up hear in central New York, I would highly recommend Seven O's as they have been excellent to deal with especially after the sale when service was needed. We are on our 4th Jayco in 12 years and have been 100% happy in all 4 campers. All 4 have had warranty work taken care with no issues. We upgrade fairly often though so I can not comment on long term ownership.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:03 PM   #5

Both Jayco and Grand Design products have all kinds of problems. Pick the floorplan you want.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:12 PM   #6

Which floor plan are you looking at and what will you want to haul?
Wilsonbryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:52 PM   #7

I was looking at the 399th. I like the side patio.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:36 AM   #8

We looked at several brands, including Grand Design, before purchasing our Pinnacle and kept coming back to Jayco for the overall build quality. As others have noted, your dealer and the qua;9th of their service department is the key to warranty work. We are on our third Jayco, all from the same dealer, and we couldn’t be happier with our experience with them.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:50 AM   #9

The key element is the dealer! They are all independent, and they do not have the same strict dealership requirements as car dealers.

I would pick your preferred floor plan, then research the dealership, to find out how well they are at servicing. From what I have heard the service department is most dealers downfall.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanhenson View Post
How has ownership and warranty work been handled for you?
I have a 2012 5er and Jayco has been good to, and for, me. They have handled all of my warranty issues (which have been few) very efficiently. Having said that, the RV industry (including Jayco) is so oversold that problems are more apparent now than before and no manufacturer is immune. jmho
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:11 PM   #11

I used the dealer for one item, some wiring that had to be routed differently.

All the rest I have done myself. What have I had to do?

1. Tighten up kitchen sink water and drain fittings.
2. Screw exterior trim back in place on bottom of front overhang.
3. Install some more screws on awning rail as it had pulled away from wall after a bad thunderstorm (yes, the awning should not have been left extended ).
4. One of the grey or black tanks has a valve that leaks a tiny bit. Added a Valtec twist lock valve on the drain line.
5. Black water flush sprayer has stopped working. Have not done anything about it.
6. On a bad road some of the drawers in the back of the trailer broke. Both the bottoms broke out and the supports for the drawer slides broke. Fixed and reinforced.

Just improvements.
1. We replaced fold out sofa with twin recliners. Best thing we did.
2. Added mattress topper.
3. Replaced bathroom vent fan with Maxx unit.
4. Added rear camera.
5. Changed to Goodyear tires (ours came with Raniers)
6. Added JT stabilizers.

Insulation. It is not a house. Takes a lot of propane to heat when temps are below freezing. Heating system keeps tanks and plumbing from freezing down into the teens. Two AC units can keep the trailer liveable into the 100's (not really cool). Have not been in temps over 110F.

This is our third RV and first new one. We bought it because it was the one floorplan we liked at the size we wanted. FWIW, all three had lousy cushions and mattresses.

So, I would not mind buying another Jayco, especially at the price they go for. If you expect a trouble free, new RV, with quality stuff inside you'll need to spend a lot more.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:26 PM   #12

Thanks so much for all the good info.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:53 PM   #13

Jayco Quaility

We just purchased our fourth Jayco we had a few issues with our first fold down all taken care of no questions asked the 2004 jay flight no issues 2010 eagle no issues a electrical issue on the 2017 eagleI fixed myself parts covered by our dealer
CampingIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:23 AM   #14

As said, dealer service ability is probably the most important decision.
After that, I think the big three brands are all somewhat equal, BUT each of them have good, better and best models. Nearly identical floor plans could differ in price by double. I believe you get what you pay for with better structure like wood vs welded aluminum, different exterior surfaces, flooring, countertops, plumbing fixtures, more insulation, etc. A winter/cold package will also keep your rv cooler in the summer. I learned that by looking at rv’s on a 85 degree day. You walk in some and it’s a 100 inside and the next is still in the 70’s. Once you learn what to look for and balance with what can afford you will make a better decision.

You get what you pay for....and of course you still could end up with a unit that seems like it’s made on a Friday by some disgruntled employee or just at a poorly managed plant. I have a Jayco Eagle, no problems at all, my daughter has a Jayco Whitehawk and it seems like everything is defective. It goes to the shop after EVERY trip.