Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-15-2013, 07:28 AM   #1

Help...Fresh water tank

So let me set the stage. I semi full time in my White Hawk 30DSRE. My trailer is always hooked up to City Water, besides sterilization I have only put 4 or 5 gallons of water in the Fresh water tank. Matter of fact I think I have only had my water pump turned on a few times.

Each time I leave for a day or two I go out and turn the faucet off, knowing that we were going to have freezing weather I did so on Wednesday. Thursday morning when I got back to the camp ground the faucet was frozen, so I knew I still had some fresh water and use the pump, mainly for the restroom. Turn the pump on, all worked well turned it off when I left. When I got back to the trailer last night I turned the City Water on since the faucet was no longer frozen (FYI I failed to mention I have a heated underbelly and I leave the heat running so pipes don't freeze).

Now granted if you look at the gauge for the fresh water it always shows empty, make sense because I don't have much water.

So this morning prior to leaving I went out to turn the facet off and just as I started to turn the corner of the trailer water started to come out the overflow for the fresh water take.....I turned the water off at the faucet and after a few minutes it stop. Went in the trailer, made sure the pump was off, which is was, and just by chance checked the fresh water level and it was showing full.

So now the question, how the heck could it fill up? The water was hooked up to city....Could by chance when I turned on the pump yesterday, used it for a bit and turned it back off it might of not closed back up (not sure what I am talking about here) and when I turned on the city water it let just enough back through the pump into the fresh water take and overnight filled it up? I did not hear any water just running over the evening so it would of had to been very slow moving.

Mystery to me.

Gary
2013 White Hawk 30DSRE
ProPride 3P 1400 Hitch
glcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #2

My guess...the check valve that is supposed to block the flow to the fresh tank when using dockside faucet is stuck (or frozen) open. Think about it. Whether using dockside or fresh tank, it uses the same plumbing so somehow it needs to be blocked to avoid the situation you describe.
As for a fix, maybe it will shut on its own if the reason is freeze, maybe pressure from our pump will close it. If not, service call.
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #3

Help...Fresh water tank

The check valve in the pump is bad and allowing the water to bypass and fill the tank.
Mine did that once after sitting for a while.
I drained my fresh tank and it has not happened again. Do you use a water pressure regulator?
I would run the the pump for awhile and see what happens.
Robert
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #4

Check valve X3
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:36 AM   #5

I had that happen once. If you do not want to replace the pump you can buy a separate check valve and place it between the fresh water tank and the pump. A less expensive solution.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote