Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2019, 09:40 AM   #1

Help! Kitchen GFCI... Precept 36T

It tripped, I know why, it was overloaded. I decided to run coffee maker while had medical equipment plugged in. Now I can't reset it. Any help is appreciated.
kckohlhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:55 AM   #2

Check your circuit breakers. Normally, overloads shouldn't trip a GFI.

If you find a tripped circuit breaker, press it FULLY to the OFF position (against spring tension) and then move it back to the ON position.

Let us know what you find.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Check your circuit breakers. Normally, overloads shouldn't trip a GFI.

If you find a tripped circuit breaker, press it FULLY to the OFF position (against spring tension) and then move it back to the ON position.

Let us know what you find.
Sorry, to be more precise it tripped the GFCI breaker and it will not reset. I shut off power to the rv and tried to reset. Didn't work, even with power off, it won't reset.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:27 PM   #4

If it won't reset after the problem is removed, the outlet is bad and must be replaced.
Mitch S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:29 PM   #5

Outlet or breaker?
Old 04-13-2019, 01:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kckohlhaas View Post
Outlet or breaker?
Outlet. They do have a 'limited lifetime'.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:19 PM   #7

Wait a sec.

If you shut the power off to the RV and the breaker will not reset it is not the outlet that has gone gunnysack it is the breaker. But like the outlet they do have a limited life. Like any GFCI the more it trips the weaker it gets.

So do you have a volt ohm meter? If so shut off all the power including the inverter. Pull out the bad breaker but do not install it yet. Leave the wires hanging in the air not touching each other.

At the suspect outlet using your meter set on ohms, check each slot in the outlet to ground (the bottom circle slot) then check to each other. You should read maximum ohms between all of the readings. Anything else and you have a problem.

If you have a problem pull the outlet out and read the wires. White to black, white to ground, black to ground. If you read anything but max ohms reading on only the wires, button the whole thing back up and take it to your friendly RV repair place. You have a short in the wires and that can make a fire.

If your wires are good replace the outlet, check again and it should be good. Then put in the new breaker. Check again. If everything reads okay power the system back up.

If everything is happy after power up plug in the offending coffee pot. Wait a second or two then turn it on. Be ready to turn it off quickly and throw it in the trash.
Ender on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:23 PM   #8

I don't have the meter... My coach is brand new, albeit a 2018 leftover. I'm leaving the breaker all the way of for now. GFCI outlets aren't working, but luckily I have a second leg so my non gfci outlets are working. I'm scheduled for service on Monday, so I'll acc this to the growing list of other issues. So far though, most everything has worked. This is my first time out period.

Tags
breaker trips, gfci, reset