Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-12-2016, 05:55 PM   #1

Help me not buy from CW!

Strange title, I know. I visited CW in Roanoke, VA today as I was in the area. We have looked a few times in the past and never saw anything worth a second look, until today. We're still searching for our first TT and thought we were set to purchase a Jayco 264BHW from Keystone RV in PA. Best price by far at about $14k out the door. Today, I walked into CW, mainly to look at the plethora of accessories, but decided to throw a hail mary and see what they had on the lot. Well, they had a really nice Coleman 274bhs (not a slide. not sure of the "s"). Floorplan is very similar and the pros/differences are listed below. CW gave me a price that is giving me a second look. My wife is learning towards the Coleman. I'm still leaning towards the Jayco, but I'm not 100% sure why.

Jayco/Keystone RV Pros:
$14,062 out the door (blue ox installed)
2 yr bumper-to-bumper warranty
Ducted A/C
15k BTU A/C
Spare tire included
skylight in bathroom
A/C duct in bathroom (I hear this is good when you're in with the door closed)

Coleman/CW Pros:
$15,200 out the door (EZ wdh installed)
LED Awning
More cabinets (medicine cabinet & big cabinets over couch)
Enclosed underbelly
LED lights with push buttons (more control over lighting)
drawers in night stands
60g fresh tank (vs 48)
sink in bathroom
40 minute drive (compared to 4 hrs)
13.5k BTU A/C with heat strip
Camping World locations for service
3 year Good Sam Elite membership
Tank cover

Any thoughts?
gocarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:11 PM   #2

I know when we went to the rv show 2 years ago now we said if we couldn't find something we liked better we were not buying .... well we found something we liked better... my opinion you have to love what you buy... don't know about quality and resale values but I would get what you think fits you
Old 03-12-2016, 06:15 PM   #3

I couldn't live without the slide out... Or the two year warranty
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:32 PM   #4

Didn't list if the 264 had a slide
Old 03-12-2016, 06:33 PM   #5

I can say once I had a slide I wouldn't go back... now we have 3
Old 03-12-2016, 06:47 PM   #6

If your TV & budget can handle it, I'd suggest considering the 26BH. A lot more features (power awning, power tongue jack, dual axles, 30# LP cylinders, spare tire, etc.) and better build materials. Places like RVdirect and other big boy dealers will sell them all day long at $14900 out the door with WD, brake controller, and max air vents tossed in. Also, don't discount the sink outside the bathroom as a negative. We found it to be a benefit with 2 kids in our 2009 26BH back in the day.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:03 PM   #7

After having campers with and without slides I can't imagine not having the extra room.
CKinsella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:18 PM   #8

Why all the talk about slides? The 264BHW doesn't have a slide and the OP didn't mention the Coleman being considered as having one either...

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkDr View Post
If your TV & budget can handle it, I'd suggest considering the 26BH. A lot more features (power awning, power tongue jack, dual axles, 30# LP cylinders, spare tire, etc.) and better build materials. Places like RVdirect and other big boy dealers will sell them all day long at $14900 out the door with WD, brake controller, and max air vents tossed in. Also, don't discount the sink outside the bathroom as a negative. We found it to be a benefit with 2 kids in our 2009 26BH back in the day.

No slides for me. More $ and weigh. It's not uncommon for us to stay 10+ days in a tent at the beach, so this is already a huge upgrade over our 8-person tent.

I like some the features of the 26bh, just not enough for the extra money. To really see the benefits, you need to upgrade even more to the elite package. Total difference is coming in around $3000. Keystone RV beat the price from RV Direct on both the 264bhw and 26BH.

264bhw has dual axles, spare tire, and power awning.

I also picked up two 30lb propane bottles for $60/ea today at CW. I'll either use them on the new TT or for grill, canner, fish frier, etc.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkDr View Post
Why all the talk about slides? The 264BHW doesn't have a slide and the OP didn't mention the Coleman being considered as having one either...
Thanks for playing referee. I would like a slide, but maybe on my 3rd trailer. Even though this will be my first, I feel like it's my second. Almost pulled the trigger on a popup a year ago.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:07 PM   #11

The Starcraft is hands down better unit than the Coleman. Look at that option
FoxRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:16 PM   #12
Site Team

Anyone know who makes Coleman now?
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Anyone know who makes Coleman now?

Dutchman. Owned by Thor. I can hardly find any reviews on the Colemans.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:31 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocarp View Post
Dutchman. Owned by Thor. I can hardly find any reviews on the Colemans.
Thor is the largest RV manufacturer of them all. Jayco is still a privately owned company. Just something to consider in your quest
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:35 PM   #15

Just my opinion, but you will soon wish you had a slide. If you can stand the extra money up front if paying cash, or the very few dollars extra a month on a loan you won't regret it. They are the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Thor is the largest RV manufacturer of them all. Jayco is still a privately owned company. Just something to consider in your quest

Not trying to be a smart-A, but a serious question... What about this, specifically, should be a factor in my decision?
Old 03-12-2016, 09:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Not trying to be a smart-A, but a serious question... What about this, specifically, should be a factor in my decision?
While I don't have any personal experience, one of the factors in weighing what brands to seriously look at last year was reviews/ feedback on getting warranty issues resolved. I would say the majority of issues resulted in Thor industries from what I have read giving the run around fixing things.

Most of what I had read concerning Jayco was the opposite, mostly positive. From what I saw online floor plan wise and pics, I too liked the Colemans.... Until I noticed they were a Thor company after reading the feedback.

As with anything you buy, there are gems, and there are lemons, regardless of who the manufacture is. When I worked in the car audio industry there were times a brand new radio was dead right out of the box..... Even from our top company.

Good luck deciding!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:25 PM   #18

Good to know. Thanks!

I'm trying to determine if buying from camping world and all their locations is really a benefit. "We're not some small mom and pop shop and not answer the phone on a Sunday afternoon when you need help."
Old 03-12-2016, 09:40 PM   #19

I bought from a small (compared to CW) family owned shop, they would bend over backwards, pull out a fridge from a brand new unit to give you one so you don't miss your weekend plans then worry about it Monday(actually happened). Answer the phone on a Saturday evening to explain something to me. Not all small shops are the same, get a feel for the shop, get a feel for the salesman. I sometimes stop in for coffee, part of why this whole RV experience has been so much fun for me and so little stress.
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Good to know. Thanks!

I'm trying to determine if buying from camping world and all their locations is really a benefit. "We're not some small mom and pop shop and not answer the phone on a Sunday afternoon when you need help."

Based on the volume of complaints I've seen over the last couple years on several RV forums, all else being equal I wouldn't go near Camping World. There seem to be a few that are good, (?) but mostly people complain. Wouldn't call that a benefit.

We bought a 2014 264bh from Keystone RV a couple of years ago, was a good sales experience for me. Salesman was great, deal was really good, installed my WDH for free (brought a ProPride up and had them install it), and didn't even try to sell me on a bunch of other crap in the process.

We traded it in on a class c last month, but had 2 great years with it. Lots of camping nights, pulled it lots of miles. I picked it in part because it didn't have a slide- less weight, less complexity. The new rig has 2, and they are nice, but I wouldn't say game changing by any means. Depends on how you camp I guess, we do most of our 'living' outside when we camp.

For reference- we have 3 kids.
skylarkva is offline   Reply With Quote