Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2014, 07:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinglife2 View Post
The only safe bet is to re-winterize the lines, fast and easy way is to open the low point drains and drain fresh water tank, then drain hot water tank, bypass hot water tank, put four gallons of pink rv antifreeze in fresh water tank, and turn on pump and open all spouts for a couple minutes till nothing but pink is coming out hot and cold side and don't forget to run the stool, and shower. We pushed it one year and broke every pipe in the camper going off the main line, it only took one night below freezing to screw us. It's way cheaper to buy four gallons of pink than replacing the lines.
I would never put the pink stuff in my fresh water tank. There is no need and you just waste a lot of antifreeze, and make flushing your fresh water tank that much harder....you may have to fill and empty many times to get rid of the pink taste and smell. If you drain the tank, any small amount of water left in the tank will freeZe with no damage. It is only freezing in small, confined spaces that causes damage.

Just add a small take off hose on your FW pump. You can buy these winterizing kits anywhere RV stuff is sold and they are cheap. You drain your lines. Then buy 1 gallon of the pink stuff. Put the hose into the gallon and pump it through your system until pink stuff flows from every faucet, toilet, and shower. Be sure to isolate you hot water heater by turning the valves on the winterizing bypass. Given the small diameter of your water pipes, it usually takes less than 1 gallon to fill your pipes. Buy a second gallon to pour down your sink traps, in your toilet, and some into your grey and black tanks.

Has always worked for me and we usually have winters with some days as cold as -35.

dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:50 PM   #12

If i'm staying in the trailer with the heater or furnace running as the op has stated I wonder if the pink stuff is necessary in the fresh water system. If the temperature is going into the low 20,s it seems emptying all the fresh water(tank) drains and hot water(tank) drains as well as opening cupboard doors would be enough. I have done this as well as emptying my black and grey tank with waste tote and adding some antifreeze to them. You can always have a pale handy for flushing. I'm just worried about the stuff that is subjected to freezing. jmho

equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
If i'm staying in the trailer with the heater or furnace running as the op has stated I wonder if the pink stuff is necessary in the fresh water system. If the temperature is going into the low 20,s it seems emptying all the fresh water(tank) drains and hot water(tank) drains as well as opening cupboard doors would be enough. I have done this as well as emptying my black and grey tank with waste tote and adding some antifreeze to them. You can always have a pale handy for flushing. I'm just worried about the stuff that is subjected to freezing. jmho
Best answer yet. If you are inside your TT and heating it, doing as you say is the best solution.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:13 AM   #14

To answer your question yes you can use an air compressor to blow out the lines. No need for the pink stuff. I have never used it in the water lines in any of my rv's. And it is -7 F today. Drain the freshwater tank and run the pump dry to get the water out of the pump. Put a little pink in the drains and you won't even have to leave the heat on.should only take about 20 minutes
Old 02-28-2014, 06:33 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post

Yes, having heat in the trailer and doing what you did is enough as mentioned din my first post. I`ve done this many times just using an electric heater. No need to do the full winterize if you have heat in the trailer with temps in the 20`s.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:44 AM   #16

The weakest link in my method might be the outside shower but I have removed the hose since I never use it. I've thought about keeping a piece of insulation in the outside shower compartment just to be safe.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:14 AM   #17

After 5 weeks in florida will be heading to Ky on Sunday into what is reported to be a wintery mix on Monday. Will be draining and bypassing the water heater before I leave so I can blow out the lines at a moments notice if I drive into freezing temps. In the past have done that at an Interstate rest area in about 10 minutes. Like someone said, remember the outside shower. If you are staying in the camper and using the furnace, that will send heat to the fresh water tank and lines so no worry there. If I don't do it before I will blow out the lines etc as soon as I get home.

Really no need to fret. Its a simple and quick thing to do.

Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote