Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2014, 10:58 PM   #1

help which one to buy Jayco, Arctic Fox or Grand Design

DW and I have looked at the following Arctic Fox, Grand Design and of course Jayco. I have to admit I kind of posted this Q before but the title really sucked.. So sorry if anyone feels this a bad re-post...

Wife and I currently own a 07 30.5BHS and we are in need of a different floor plan, kid is all grown up now and the bunk room is now just a BIG closet LOL

So we have been looking at Jayco, Grand Design, and Arctic Fox. I have to say I like my current Jayco and would buy another but I have to admit I really love the hydraulic auto leveling system, its fast easy and fairly stable. that is on the Grand, and even the SF has the electric version. ... But not even an option on the Jayco? Looks to be on the 2015 now for now
The other 2 brands have larger hot water heaters
The day night shades don't really block day like I would think they should.

Anyone know why Jayco hasn't started using hydraulic systems yet? jacks, slides ETC?
Have the slide issues with the Schwintek system be resolved yet?

Frustrated shopper right now need help.
Anyone have things I should look at in comparison to the other brands.... we almost have too many options "dealers" locally.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #2

Not familiar with the other 2 brands you list, but what is their warranty? Jaycos' 2 year warranty is hard to beat.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #3

Another thing to consider is dealer support/network. I'm not sure what kind of dealer network those other brands have, but I have never seen a dealer for either of them. Good luck with your search.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:45 PM   #4

I am very happy with my JayFlight, both of them in fact. Jayco has been able to provide what I need at this time for a decent value and quality level.

That said, I think Northwood makes a very high quality travel trailer and every Arctic Fox owner I've been around raves about their units. Further every AF I have stepped into seems really solid & well built. There is the ability to get a "true four season" trailer form them too should you need that.

The downside to AF is they are heavy, very heavy, no light weight options with Northwood. Also they aren't really family (kid) friendly TT, they design much more with the couple in mind not the family. Not going to find any large bunkhouses which was important to me, but doesn't seem to be an issue for you. So if you have the TV, and they have a floor plan that works I wouldn't be concerned.

Depending on what line of Jayco you are comparing to, both others could be quite a bit more expensive.

I don't have any experience or exposure to "grand design" so I can't comment.

Living in WA and knowing they are built quite closeby in OR, I would feel very comfortable with both dealer and factory support.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:30 AM   #5

There is one other brand that I would throw into the mix to look at, but maybe you've looked at all of them and have narrowed down your search to just these three.
I know one of the things Jayco likes to use for a selling point is their 2 year warranty. To me, that is NOT a selling point, rather a sales pitch. Think about it. Almost anything in your rv that is most likely to give your problems is covered by the manufactures warranty, not Jayco. All appliances, tires, frames and even the rubber roofs have their own warranties. The manufactures warranties are typically 2-5 years, and longer on the roofs. The extra year of Jayco warranty, to me, didn't justify the extra $8,000 they wanted for their rv. I'm not bad mouthing Jayco, I've owned two different Jayco TT's, and really liked them. I just don't care for how they tout their "superior" warranty.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:29 AM   #6

I have a coworker that has had a few campers with both electric and hydraulic levelers and slide outs drives. He has told me he never wants another unit with hydraulics again. He had numerous issues with hydraulics leaking, blowouts, and so forth. He said they are a mess to deal with and repair. That is his two cents.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobx2 View Post
There is one other brand that I would throw into the mix to look at, but maybe you've looked at all of them and have narrowed down your search to just these three.
I know one of the things Jayco likes to use for a selling point is their 2 year warranty. To me, that is NOT a selling point, rather a sales pitch. Think about it. Almost anything in your rv that is most likely to give your problems is covered by the manufactures warranty, not Jayco. All appliances, tires, frames and even the rubber roofs have their own warranties. The manufactures warranties are typically 2-5 years, and longer on the roofs. The extra year of Jayco warranty, to me, didn't justify the extra $8,000 they wanted for their rv. I'm not bad mouthing Jayco, I've owned two different Jayco TT's, and really liked them. I just don't care for how they tout their "superior" warranty.
Not to start a war, but we owned a Heartland 29rls, with a 1year warranty, After that year was up I started having big problems. The screws holding the floor to the slide were backing out. Because of the screws backing out it ripped the carpet. Also when I had the wheel bearings repacked they found from the factory that one bearing, the roller was gone[ was never there from the factory] and another bearing was bluing from being to hot. On the bearings I did what I was told to do from the service Manager. On the screws I got a hold of Jim Belletta from the Heartland Owners forum and he told me that he would get a hold of the factory and have somebody get back to me. Low and behold a salesman from the factory called and I explained everything to him. About 1 week later he calls back and says sorry you are out of warranty. See if they had a 2 year warranty it would have been covered. To me that statement about having a 2 year warranty was a big selling point to us buy a Jayco. I have talked to different people that have or still own Heartlands and was told that they will never own another one, just because of the warranty.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:56 PM   #8

Jayco now uses Lippert slides. From my past experience with hydraulic slides they would not be an upgrade. The electric systems may be slower but they don't make a mess when things go bad. As mentioned before, the two year warranty is a good thing to have but you could buy an extended with any other brand.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:04 AM   #9

I have read on all the forums, yes, even this one, stories about things happening right after the warranty expires, and having to pay out of pocket to have it fixed. That's what happens when the warranty expires. And from the reply I got above, if you aren't going to keep up on normal maintenance, even a 2 year warranty isn't going to save you. Better buy the extended warranty as well.
Let's be honest here. All brands have their hating owners, or previous owners, as well as those who bleed the brand, and it has zero faults and is the perfect rv. I've read on this forum the same things, how people will never buy another Jayco. Those types are on ALL the forums. I take all the extreme comments, from both sides, and throw them out, and pay attention to those who are more level headed. Those are the sources of good information.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:21 AM   #10

Smile Well it depends

Buying an RV is a big choice. Some basic questions to ask yourself is what is important to you? Where will you be going? size, floor plan, important things to you and your spouse. Now as far as Jayco goes, yes they have a great 2 year warranty, there are many Jayco dealers so with that warranty it would be easier to get a repair done. Also they are made with longer thicker screws, wood frame, and plates. This means the RV is more solid and durable than most competitors, they are very picky, as Amish build these coaches including the furniture so as well helps with problems that you won't have as many places to go to fix everything if you ever need it even. As well the price is more competitive for the quality you get, compared to likewise priced RV's you get a better quality. I used to sell consigned used RV's and sold all years makes and models, this is how I know. If you are buying new first thing is to start with a price range, size, weight and a few must haves for you and your spouse. Jayco is sold a lot in AZ and there is extreme weather in AZ because they do have excellent insulation, offer the option of a thermal package and have upgraded heating and cooling systems. Depends though on what you are looking for, if used the most important thing is how well it was treated, how many owners etc.... more so than manufacturer is in used RV's. Anyhow good luck hope my experience helped some.
josieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:36 PM   #11

I have had an Artic Fox and it was fantastic. I'm in the East where there are few if any dealers. So that's why I now have a Jayco. We have had issues with it!!!! It just came back from the factory in May for repairs. With the way Jayco has handled my warranty work, I'm not at all sure that I would jump ship even if I could. I think Artic Fox is a first class manufacturer. The Fox that I used to own had some furnishings that were subpar. So did the the Jayco. All companies are working to cut cost so that they can be competitive. Grand Design is too new to evaluate. They have very little history to pass judgment on. What ever you get, make sure that you get the double pane windows. Either Jayco or Artic Fox are good units. They both have two year warranties. The dealership would probably be my determining factor.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by josieo View Post
as Amish build these coaches including the furniture so as well helps with problems that you won't have as many places to go to fix everything if you ever need it even.
And that Amish thing is a BIG sales pitch that Jayco uses. Trouble is, ever stop at an Amish furniture store? Nice solid stuff but poor finish work. Jayco is no different. Solid products but the fit and finish leaves something to be desired. I'd buy another in a heartbeat, but each Jayco I've owned needed a little TLC to align and fix minor issues in the first few months of ownership.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobx2 View Post
All appliances, tires, frames and even the rubber roofs have their own warranties. The manufactures warranties are typically 2-5 years, and longer on the roofs.
I'm going to check this out but not sure it is factual. Just sayin

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I have a coworker that has had a few campers with both electric and hydraulic levelers and slide outs drives. He has told me he never wants another unit with hydraulics again. He had numerous issues with hydraulics leaking, blowouts, and so forth.
I've had 3 motorhomes. Both of the units with hydraulic levelers had issues. One needed the pump replaced the second needed the hydraulic rams replaced. Both repairs were $250-$400 range (DIY).

I can't live without a slide, sorry... But they do add complication.

And yes, appliances may have their own warranties, but generally the replacement of an appliance is about 50% of the cost of the repair... And you can't USE the warranty unless you have a "certified" tech come check it out and diagnose it. That is, the warranty will save you labor costs that you're going to incur even if DIY.

The bigger question is - if you buy at a dealer what is the dealer's reputation for service quality and turn around time. We've got a bunch of dealers where I am, all of them have fairly bad service reputations and wait times. They'll do a great job at selling you an RV.. At fixing it, not so much...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustdave View Post
DW and I have looked at the following Arctic Fox, Grand Design and of course Jayco. I have to admit I kind of posted this Q before but the title really sucked.. So sorry if anyone feels this a bad re-post...

Wife and I currently own a 07 30.5BHS and we are in need of a different floor plan, kid is all grown up now and the bunk room is now just a BIG closet LOL

So we have been looking at Jayco, Grand Design, and Arctic Fox. I have to say I like my current Jayco and would buy another but I have to admit I really love the hydraulic auto leveling system, its fast easy and fairly stable. that is on the Grand, and even the SF has the electric version. ... But not even an option on the Jayco? Looks to be on the 2015 now for now
The other 2 brands have larger hot water heaters
The day night shades don't really block day like I would think they should.

Anyone know why Jayco hasn't started using hydraulic systems yet? jacks, slides ETC?
Have the slide issues with the Schwintek system be resolved yet?

Frustrated shopper right now need help.
Anyone have things I should look at in comparison to the other brands.... we almost have too many options "dealers" locally.
Dave, the Arctic Fox that I had was equipped with a 10 gal. hot water heater of a different manufacturer. I thought originally that it was a step back to go come back to a 6 gal heater. Time has proven me wrong. The water temps. on the Atwood are hotter from the start and the recovery time is much faster. Maybe the newer 10 gal. units are faster. That I don't know. From our experience and needs, a larger hot water system would not be a plus. On the slide systems, I really don't think one system is better then another. Its what you are used to. Ive had hydraulic pumps in dump trailers. In time there is always some oil seepage either in the tank , pump or hoses.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:25 AM   #16

I currently own a Nash, made by Northwood, the same company that makes the Artic Fox. I love my Nash, it is well built and feels solid. Its too small and too old and had a leak that it took too long for me to find. I would take another Nash or Artic Fox in a heartbeat, just can't afford it.
spoon059 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:48 PM   #17

Most dealers are not so much at fixing.
greyhawk885 is offline   Reply With Quote