Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-02-2024, 11:03 PM   #1

Help with battery wiring!

I have a Jayco fifth wheel 2021 29.5bhds. This camper is equipped with an inverter as well as solar (390 watts). Iím wanting to change my batteries to maximize amp hours to go off grid/boondocking. I would like to utilize 4 6v batteries, 2 pair in series to create 12v And have those in parallel (4batteries total). What I donít completely understand is how I hook up the existing terminal wires from the camper to those batteries so that everything functions and charges properly. There are 2 positive and 2 negative wires feeding down in to the battery bay. Please see picture. If anyone can dumb this down for someone not too electrically inclined I would appreciate it! Please see photos of battery Bay area, current setup shown is of stock setup with 2 lead acid batteries in parallel.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6451.jpg   IMG_6448.jpg  
Freebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 07:26 AM   #2

You have (4) batteries, #1,#2,#3,#4. Jumpers from #1N to #3N, #1P to #2N, #2P to #4P, #3P to #4N. Now connect all positive to #2P or #4P and all negative to opposite at #1N or #3N. So at #1N&#4P or #2P&#3N.
Please draw 4 batteries 2 rows of 2 with N left and P right.
It should make sense then.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 08:34 AM   #3

I think I made a mistake in the original post. I believe one of the black wires coming in to the battery bay from the trailer end is a ground going to the wall?

Also I drew the diagram and what you says makes sense! So now I would have 2 pairs in series (#1 & #2 and #3 & #4) connected in parallel from #1 to #3 and #2 to #4

Or at least this is my interpretation.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebirds View Post
I think I made a mistake in the original post. I believe one of the black wires coming in to the battery bay from the trailer end is a ground going to the wall?

Also I drew the diagram and what you says makes sense! So now I would have 2 pairs in series (#1 & #2 and #3 & #4) connected in parallel from #1 to #3 and #2 to #4

Or at least this is my interpretation.
If it's the black wire at the top of the photo, it looks to have white tape on it, so yes it is a ground.
Old 03-03-2024, 11:01 AM   #5

So, why are there 2 positive lines coming from the trailer side? Is one of them from the solar?