Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-16-2016, 09:15 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
A 50amp 240 volt line has 3 wires, 50amp 3 pole (which is RV service) has 4 wires. A lose neutral on RV service can be the cause of one of the legs going "wild".In standard 240 volt wiring a lose connection will cause a voltage drop. They are very different in how they fail and how they work.
The 4th wires is a ground wire, which all electrical circuits have. If using conduit the conduit is the ground, other times a separate green ground wire grounds the outlet itself. Yes in an RV the 4th prong is a ground. The wiring for the outlet is no different, one neutral and two 120 legs, plus the ground wire...

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:46 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
The 4th wires is a ground wire, which all electrical circuits have. If using conduit the conduit is the ground, other times a separate green ground wire grounds the outlet itself. Yes in an RV the 4th prong is a ground. The wiring for the outlet is no different, one neutral and two 120 legs, plus the ground wire...
If you remove the neutral from the RV service you have a 220volt service, that's very very bad. If you remove the ground from a normal 220 volt service you have nothing.

This is a very important thing to understand.

RV's have burned to the ground over something as simple as a bad connection inside the power cord plugged into the camper.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 05:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
if you remove the neutral from the rv service you have a 220volt service, that's very very bad. If you remove the ground from a normal 220 volt service you have nothing.

This is a very important thing to understand.

Rv's have burned to the ground over something as simple as a bad connection inside the power cord plugged into the camper.

what??????
Old 11-17-2016, 06:01 AM   #24

The power company has come back with a source of their problem. It is not my side of the meter. It is just my EMS PT50C that found their problem. They are replacing some power lines in a small town about 12 miles from my site. This town is serviced by a COOP that buys power from my local company. This is a major project and when they first started connecting and disconnecting entire circuits my problem started. The substation that feeds this COOP is 1/4 mile from me. They were not aware of the issue their work was causing and they are working now to eliminate or minimize it. They have with their own equipment identified the problem as theirs and not my wiring. The distribution engineer I have been working with is very impressed with the PT50C as am I. I will never plug in anywhere without it.

Their work to eliminate the high voltage spikes is working. I have only had one since they figured out what was happening and their project is about a month or so away from completion.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 06:06 AM   #25

Great job by the power company, you and your PT50 - I have the hardwired 30 amp version and love the peace of mind it gives me...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:30 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExChief View Post
what??????
Do you have a specific question?

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
Old 11-17-2016, 08:41 AM   #27

I am glad your problem is solved.

I have a friend who is about to finish the total replacement of AC's, TV's, microwave, and finally the refrigerator about a month ago. This all came from the loss of neutral in the connector on the side of the fifth wheel. The smoke alarm woke them, thank God and the smoke did some damage also, but no fire in this case. Every 110 volt system that was running was destroyed.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle