Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2019, 08:12 PM   #21

I’m worried about the lightning. Jayco has foolishly made trailers recently with wood frames and fiberglass shells. These units have NO protection from lightning. If you have one you will need to go to a hotel during the storm.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:56 PM   #22

Driving Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Make sure you pull in your slides for the wind storms. The slides throw the TT's center of balance off and can cause it to tip easier.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Lots of good comments here. Another reason to consider pulling slides in is that heavy driving rains can, in the right direction, push water passed the slide out seals into the RV.
CINCEARTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:43 PM   #23

A few years back, my family and I took a month long, cross country and back trip in a Dodge Grand Caravan towing a Viking pop up camper. We camped in several storms. One night, at a campground in Iowa, about 1 AM or so my wife woke me up to tell me there was a violent thunderstorm overhead. We were set up in a grove of trees. I groggily asked what she wanted me to do. She asked if we should evacuate the camper and seek shelter. I said what for? What if the camper gets hit by lightning? I said you'll never know it, rolled over and went back to sleep. Needless to say, even though it was 90 degrees outside, it was a bit frosty in the camper in the morning! LOL!
2021 Keystone Cougar 27SABWE
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:42 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmot View Post
I’m worried about the lightning. Jayco has foolishly made trailers recently with wood frames and fiberglass shells. These units have NO protection from lightning. If you have one you will need to go to a hotel during the storm.
So, you're saying fiberglass on wood frame is worse than aluminum on wood frame, or fiberglass on aluminum frame?

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:13 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
So, you're saying fiberglass on wood frame is worse than aluminum on wood frame, or fiberglass on aluminum frame?
I wouldn’t worry about it like Bandit12 said “ you’ll never know it” and don’t tie your trailer key to the kite string when your checking the wind velocity .
Old 03-21-2019, 05:24 AM   #26

High winds in an RV does not scare me at all. A tree falling on my RV would.

Secondly, according to this article a steel or aluminum frame RV is safer than a wood frame rig in a lightning storm.

https://www.vehq.com/rv-lightning/
Old 03-21-2019, 05:38 AM   #27
RPR

I would be more concerned about tree limbs than lightening. Do you stop driving your metal car when it’s raining and lightening?
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:43 AM   #28

Apparently, a car is protected by the Faraday cage effect, plus it has rubber tires. It's all in the article I posted above.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:08 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Apparently, a car is protected by the Faraday cage effect, plus it has rubber tires. It's all in the article I posted above.
Riverman, good article and thanks for posting it. My camper has an aluminum frame so I'm assuming the Faraday cage effect would be in place for me but lightning is still very dangerous. I have a Progressive Industries EMS to help protect the electronics during an electrical storm.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:38 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
High winds in an RV does not scare me at all. A tree falling on my RV would.

Secondly, according to this article a steel or aluminum frame RV is safer than a wood frame rig in a lightning storm.

https://www.vehq.com/rv-lightning/
Very interesting, but I didn't see where aluminum-sided trailers were mentioned. Did I miss them or weren't they included? Seems like an aluminum 'skin' would be included in a discussion of Faraday Cages.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:54 AM   #31

Does my aluminum siding trailer with some type of rubber roof count?