Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2019, 02:07 PM   #41

He didn’t care. Sad.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:56 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Yesterday traveling past Dallas on I635 a RAM 3500 DRW cut me off big time. The idiot just happened to have a fifth wheel hitch sitting in his bed, either it was for decoration or he just didn't care. I think I'm going to invest in an air horn!
Merging in the Metroplex is a full contact offensive and defensive sport.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:41 PM   #43

A couple years ago we took a trip through Montana with our 195RB. I had one guy heading down an on-ramp that we were coming up to actually pace us and slow down so that he could force me to brake before speeding off.... Just another reason why I added a dash-cam to the truck a few years ago.....
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:48 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Merging in the Metroplex is a full contact offensive and defensive sport.

I lived in a number of places from Boston to Florida and out west. No where is driving the competitive sport it is here in DFW.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:19 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
This could possibly be true...

That's why I've been searching around (without luck) for a Bull Bar to install on the front on my rig. Cut me off, and you get the "horns"!
Stacy and I were chatting the other night.. and she asked me why we don't have a Bull Bar on our Seneca yet. I was caught way off guard and thinking about how I missed a perfect opportunity.

We have a full ARB - Winch bumper/bull bar on our FJC and have had it for about 10 years now. It has seen some significant impacts that Stacy has contributed to - as well as mine. While we have not had a high speed collision with a deer/elk/moose... we have made some VERY SLOW contact with a moose and Elk when they are so stubborn and in a thick pack that they are blocking the only way out of a canyon. Yes they get pissed when they are touched, and the moose folded my mirror and should have broken the drivers side glass... the point I make is that we like to travel in the back country.

When thinking about the Seneca and a bull bar... they don't offer the same level of protection that we have in our ARB bar on the FJC. The bar (in the picture below) is barely going to protect the front end of the Seneca in a highway speed impact with anything over 500#. Yea, I would like one... but it MIGHT keep the impacted animal from flying into the windshield and killing us - but have my doubts.

Yea... we live in the roadkill capitol of the world. I try to avoid driving at dusk because of all the wildlife on the highways at the point the sun sets over the ridgeline - to put it in perspective - our trip east last spring... we had over 400 very hungry deer/antelope at the edge of the pavement / shoulder feeding on grass on the side of I-80. These were less than 10FT from the travel lane and on the interstate side of the fence.

Picture is of another Seneca at the dreaded RV dealer getting fleeced for service - but they had a cool bull bar !!!
Attached Thumbnails
20170517_145250.jpg  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:14 AM   #46

https://youtu.be/tyFsXH5bJqw

example of "a driver" who does not know how to merge

QUOTE=harryjr;785221]On roads with the exits/entrances miles apart and moderate traffic I agree. However with heavy traffic and exits/entrances every mile or so (think I-95 in CT), I find it safer to travel in the middle lane and not have to constantly brake and swerve around entering vehicles who apparently don't know the meaning of a yield sign.[/QUOTE]
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:01 PM   #47

Sad truth.

It is a real problem. In Idaho, Washington and most of Montana there are slow vehicle turnouts on most two lane roads. The number of RVs using them has decreased markedly. Common courtesy has all but disappeared.
BikerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:14 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post

I also can't stand people who just drive in the middle lane on a 3 lane highway.
That's where you are supposed to be. The left is for passing, the right if you're going slower than the limit or getting off at the next exit, and the middle for driving.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:18 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
I agree, I think it's most generations, or spread across the generations.

You just have so many more people RVing now a days, you're going to have bad drivers in the group.

I also can't stand people who just drive in the middle lane on a 3 lane highway.

If you're not passing, get over to the right.
I would have agreed with you prior to yesterday. Was travelling home yesterday through the mountains on the Coquihalla Highway in British Columbia. Many parts are three lane in each direction. I tried travelling in the far right lane except to pass however it was so rutted due to years of semis travelling in that lane that it was causing the vehicle and trailer to sway. Ram 2500 Diesel pulling a 20 foot trailer, so that isn't the issue. Used the middle lane, no sway issues. Figured other vehicles had the left lane to pass.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:18 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
This implies to truck drivers too. They all like to hang in the center lane. Amazing how many I am passing while traveling in the far right lane.
That is actually safer in terms of 3 lane roads for the truck to stay in the center lane. They are able to travel along and not interfere with traffic coming on or leaving. Folks can either pass the trucks on the right or the left as their heart desires. If the trucks stay only in the right hand lane on a road with 3 lanes of travel, they will constantly be moving to the left to allow traffic on, will have to brake suddenly for the stupid car drivers that realize their off ramp is right there and and cut in front of the truck, or they have to slow to keep from hitting the car that is entering the flow of traffic. I am not sure of your perspective, but herding 70 foot of truck that weighs up to 80,000 lb is not like driving a car.

On two lanes, yes, the should stay to the right except to pass.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:24 PM   #51

Smile Obstruct Traffic

In Canada, most highway laws are set by the individual provinces. Most have an "obstruct traffic" regulation. For example, in Prince Edward Island "whenever the driver behind sounds the horn and signals with lights that he or she wants to pass,move to the right and do not change into a left lane until the vehicle has passed; and
• never speed up when being passed;

If you are travelling below the posted speed on a highway with a single travel lane, every 15 minutes pull off the road and allow trailing traffic to pass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:31 PM   #52

Before I retired from Law Enforcement I used to give tickets for for this, this is the section I used:

California / Vehicle Code - VEH / ARTICLE 1. Driving on Right Side [21650. - 21664.] / Section 21656.

Section 21656. (Amended by Stats. 1965, Ch. 448.)
Cite as: Cal. Veh. Code §21656.
On a two-lane highway where passing is unsafe because of traffic in the opposite direction or other conditions, a slow-moving vehicle, including a passenger vehicle, behind which five or more vehicles are formed in line, shall turn off the roadway at the nearest place designated as a turnout by signs erected by the authority having jurisdiction over the highway, or wherever sufficient area for a safe turnout exists, in order to permit the vehicles following it to proceed. As used in this section a slow-moving vehicle is one which is proceeding at a rate of speed less than the normal flow of traffic at the particular time and place.
2019 RAM 1500 Laramie 4X4 5.7 Hemi.
2019 Jayco Hummingbird 16 MRB
DennisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:36 PM   #53

I try and stay with the flow of traffic within reason but I have been on rt 70 in south florida going east to west,(vise Versa), it’s one lane at times and have gone faster than I would have liked just to expedite traffic behind me but if I’m traveling 5mph-10 mph over the limit and people are upset behind me what can I say?
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:44 PM   #54

In Virginia, as of this year, the law has changed to REQUIRE a slower vehicle to stay to the right or risk getting a ticket. Thank goodness!!!
brandsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:45 PM   #55

I am familiar with the area you are referring to. One of the most beautiful areas of the US. I am guessing around Wenatchee or there abouts. I read other's comments and I surmising that this is becoming a national epidemic. I lived in Minnesota and it wasn't that bad when I left but it was getting worse. I figured it was because they were giving Drivers licenses to a bunch of Refuge American haters that couldn't read English. I live in Florida now and it seems that the left lane down here is the slow lane??? go figure?
chrisrezba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:18 PM   #56

A couple of posts refer to hugging the center lane as opposed to the far right. I think it depends on the road and why there are three instead of the more common two lanes in each direction on a freeway or interstate. Often the middle lane exists as the road travels through a city or town. That usually means more traffic and all sorts of vehicles merging on and off the road in the right lane. Both truckers and RVers should consider that middle lane as a way of avoiding the "oning and offing" traffic in the right lane. Likewise, when climbing a steep hill on a multilane highway you have vehicles capable of varying top climbing speed. The slowest need to be far right with those speedier vehicles to the left. This almost never applies to a two-lane road whether two lanes in both directions or one lane in each. Of course, hugging the left lane when it isn't necessary is never polite or considerate.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:19 PM   #57

OP. How big were the turnouts? 50 feet or mile long? Which highway? If shorter and im doing ok speed wise, aka I see cars in front of me I can see not pulling over as your not holding up people more so then traffic as a whole especially if on a hill or endless cars making pulling over impractical Or the notice is so short that by the time I see it not practical safe to stop. But usually im doing limit. Longer pull outs sure pass.

But the flip side also applies if you pass dont be a $@&% and slow at the bottom of a hill or ride the brakes on the downside. Seen this too.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:20 PM   #58

Just as many poor drivers drive RV's as cars.. i try to pull over to the right as much as possible so drivers can see around me..when i get to a safe place for cars to pass i slow down and let them pass if there is no oncoming traffic.
CamperStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:21 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryjr View Post
On roads with the exits/entrances miles apart and moderate traffic I agree. However with heavy traffic and exits/entrances every mile or so (think I-95 in CT), I find it safer to travel in the middle lane and not have to constantly brake and swerve around entering vehicles who apparently don't know the meaning of a yield sign.
X2. Generally when there are 3 or more lanes, I will stay in the next to last right hand lane. There are too many drivers who don't want to yield when getting on the highway or who dive in front of you to get off at the very last minute praying you to hit them so they can sue you.

As far as pulling over I won't pull over on the shoulder either, however in some states on two lane roads there is a third lane that lasts for around a mile or so for slow traffic (semi's, farm tractors etc) to move over so faster traffic can pass.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:28 PM   #60

'Highway etiquette; when you find it,let me know. I do my BEST to be courteous.Been towing for years. What I'm finding ,far too often,ANY STATE it seems,is ability for drivers to enter highways.If I have a 3 lane,i'll take the middle lane,moving with traffic speed.However,many times 2 lanes are it.So I stay left.WHY??? is it so hard for entering traffic to accelerate ,taking my pedal lifting allowing then to BEAT ME.far too many times,I witnessed the PANIC stop at the end of TEIR merge, Makes me nuts. Add to that,I have had every lovely,ugly ,fat, skinny, male, female ,type middle finger thrown at me as they FINALLY find the lead foot and pass me later on. I hate mountains,because I feel for the truckers who want to get up the momentum,only to find a slow and go,camper,PRIUS,motorbike.Think y'all get it. Be safe out there.
mikesea is offline   Reply With Quote