Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2019, 01:29 PM   #61

I find it tricky with the truckers at times because I use cruise control. I set the cruise at 68 usually. 70 if I’m gettin crazy. Anyway, I’ll be behind the trucks in the right lane. Come to a hill, they slow way down for obvious reasons. I move left and pass. Then move over once the pass is complete. Now on the downhill they start speeding up north of 70 and have to pass me. End ups being this leap frog scenario. How do you all handle this? Those with trucking backgrounds what say you.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:32 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
I find it tricky with the truckers at times because I use cruise control. I set the cruise at 68 usually. 70 if I’m gettin crazy. Anyway, I’ll be behind the trucks in the right lane. Come to a hill, they slow way down for obvious reasons. I move left and pass. Then move over once the pass is complete. Now on the downhill they start speeding up north of 70 and have to pass me. End ups being this leap frog scenario. How do you all handle this? Those with trucking backgrounds what say you.
Happens all the time..........as long as you stay out of each others way.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:35 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruit Creek View Post
We took a road trip to north central WA this week ([I]sans[I] FW) and noticed something we aren't used to. We came up on lots of RVs (motorhomes, FWs, and trailers) traveling well under the speed limit, holding up 5 or more vehicles behind them, and refusing to use the well-supplied turnouts. When RVing, my friends and I have always pulled over to allow vehicles to pass but not so these folks. I don't want to sound accusatory but when we were finally able to pass them it appeared the majority were being driven by 40ish males. Just wondering if RV courtesy is becoming a thing of the past and this is the new norm?
That's the 'me first, nobody else matters' generation of today.
DarrellD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:54 PM   #64

Quote:
We find this too... and a lot depends on the individual truck you are travelling along with. If it is a SWIFT company truck, they are closely governed and mointored by the on-board ELD / Roadnet system. Those drivers are disciplined even when they are going over the "SWIFT Maximum speed" that the trucks are limited to when they are going down hill. If we are going over 70, we will never see that truck again.

Other independent carriers (and many corporate ones) still have to have the ELD, but are not as strict about the maximum speed and downhill speeds. These drivers will take advantage of the downhill to pass RV's that seem to stay on the cruise control.

Our norm... is mixed because we typically run along with the pack of trucks at the speed limit. There are sometimes a truck or two that is running hot that will pass us on the flats, but there are not many that do. As long as we are running with the pack and not slowing things up, they don't pass us. Now we may end up passing them on the hills if they are running at 80k# when they are bogged down.

Remember that most class 8 truck drivers are paid by the mile, so they are going to pass you if they can because sitting behind you is costing them income.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 02:43 PM   #65

Quote:
When you say pullouts, what are you referring to. I ask because in Texas, it’s always been common courtesy on two lane roads to pull over onto shoulder to allow people to pass.
Pullouts on Washington's two-lane roads are of a wide variety, but most don't require coming to a stop. They might be shorter passing lanes, a super wide shoulder, something of that sort. They are easy to use and almost always there is a sign letting people know they are ahead, along with a reminder that delay of five vehicles requires using them. I do it even when I'm travelling the speed limit, because most people want to go faster. Move right, let off the gas, let people pass and no one is cursing at you.
bleckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 02:50 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
People drive like that here in Washington. Try getting from Everett to Tacoma in a motorhome or towing.
That's why we moved to Spokane, though it's been nearly 30 years.
bleckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 02:57 PM   #67

When traveling, I am as courteous as possible. If pulling my fifth wheel, I do my best to be courteous since I’m towing slower than normal speeds. I don’t and won’t compromise my safety to be “courteous”.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:40 PM   #68

I have been guilty of this. I know I made some people mad when we were driving out of Sequim WA on hwy 101. Two lanes, narrow, hilly, no shoulder and the “turn outs” were a joke. I was probably going below the speed limit, but it was safer for me and everybody else on the road.
Rgruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 05:51 PM   #69

When I'm driving in an urban area on a three lane road, I try to stay in the middle lane. Far right lane is for merging/exiting traffic and far left lane is for passing. Isn't the middle lane for thru traffic?
sailorpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:17 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Sadly, "everything" courtesy is becoming a thing of the past. Newer generations have become the entitled, self-absorbed, narcissist, selfie population, and really don't care about others and what's going on around them. It's all about THEM.

Take a look around at the workplace, retail stores, families, group gatherings, etc. This is the new "normal".... get use to it....

Outstanding review of todays generation!!! -

(also retire Edd)
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:19 PM   #71

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruit Creek View Post
We took a road trip to north central WA this week ([I]sans[I] FW) and noticed something we aren't used to. We came up on lots of RVs (motorhomes, FWs, and trailers) traveling well under the speed limit, holding up 5 or more vehicles behind them, and refusing to use the well-supplied turnouts. When RVing, my friends and I have always pulled over to allow vehicles to pass but not so these folks. I don't want to sound accusatory but when we were finally able to pass them it appeared the majority were being driven by 40ish males. Just wondering if RV courtesy is becoming a thing of the past and this is the new norm?
i hate it too.But if you pulled over for everybody you would never get there
trento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:27 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
We find this too... and a lot depends on the individual truck you are travelling along with. If it is a SWIFT company truck, they are closely governed and mointored by the on-board ELD / Roadnet system. Those drivers are disciplined even when they are going over the "SWIFT Maximum speed" that the trucks are limited to when they are going down hill. If we are going over 70, we will never see that truck again.

Other independent carriers (and many corporate ones) still have to have the ELD, but are not as strict about the maximum speed and downhill speeds. These drivers will take advantage of the downhill to pass RV's that seem to stay on the cruise control.

Our norm... is mixed because we typically run along with the pack of trucks at the speed limit. There are sometimes a truck or two that is running hot that will pass us on the flats, but there are not many that do. As long as we are running with the pack and not slowing things up, they don't pass us. Now we may end up passing them on the hills if they are running at 80k# when they are bogged down.

Remember that most class 8 truck drivers are paid by the mile, so they are going to pass you if they can because sitting behind you is costing them income.

Im with Slopoke. Just be mindful of how you fit into the pack. It you are running a little faster than the 18 wheelers so be it . You will get passed by some running without GPS monitors downhill. Just do a good job of passing, signalling and if you see the hot rodder cars let them go by. watch the rear view and enjoy life.
Gunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:33 PM   #73

Airhorns??

https://youtu.be/icnRMW6P9nc

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:59 AM   #74

We are new to the RV life and found this an interesting conversation.
We are not new to towing though as we have towed our Jeep all over on a trailer to different events.
I have always pulled over on the pull-outs if slowing down faster traffic on long uphill pulls. In Cali where we came from, they had signs that if you have backed up 5 or more vehicles behind you, that you must pull over to let them pass.
I was also taught this by my Dad from when he towed a trailer and other things when I was a kid.
Just like flashing your lights at a trucker to let them know they are clear to come back into your lane after they have passed you.
Show a little courtesy and get a little courtesy!
Tockert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:55 AM   #75

Highway Etiquitte

We just completed a week trip down to the Oregon Coast from outside of Seattle. We made it a point to use the pull offs on Highway 101 if we were holding up traffic, especially since the road can be very winding with numerous hills.
Robbie1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:23 AM   #76

I totally agree, unfortunately for them they are slowly painting themselves into a corner.
Goes around comes around.....
Kiwimg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:40 AM   #77

I think this may be normal of younger city folk. I’m 42 and grew up in small town Maine with 2 lane roads and learned this at a young age on the school bus. The bus driver always pulled over to left cars go by. I personally would slow down considerably on a straightaway giving others a better chance to pass vs risking popping a tire on the shoulder.
Jeremytbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:13 AM   #78

In Montana you have to pull out if you have 4 cars behind you. It’s a law. Not that everyone follows it ...
Jml54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:41 AM   #79

Ah, that we all could be perfect drivers, as many on this thread sound like they think they are. What we need is a little tolerance and a lot of humility. And age has nothing to do with rude, inconsiderate driving. A lot can also be said for the motorhome driver, trailer puller or truck that drives much too fast. What we've experienced is that no matter where we are in the US, what speed we are going,
and what the driving conditions are, there is always someone who wants to go faster or slower than us; and this includes when we're going the speed limit. Common courtesy and patience is the key to driving safely...no wonder there's so much road rage. Letting others pass when possible is just common sense. Those who don't allow it don't have any.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:52 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Sadly, "everything" courtesy is becoming a thing of the past. Newer generations have become the entitled, self-absorbed, narcissist, selfie population, and really don't care about others and what's going on around them. It's all about THEM.

Take a look around at the workplace, retail stores, families, group gatherings, etc. This is the new "normal".... get use to it....

My wife and I call this the "Me First Attitude". They are oblivious to everyone and everything else. Speed limits and traffic laws mean nothing to them, nor does common courtesy. It is all about them and them being first. They may be doing 20 MPH over the limit or 20 MPH under the limit. All you can do is try and drive safe and courteous which can be difficult when towing a trailer.