Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2019, 08:23 AM   #1

Highway etiquette - just wondering

We took a road trip to north central WA this week ([I]sans[I] FW) and noticed something we aren't used to. We came up on lots of RVs (motorhomes, FWs, and trailers) traveling well under the speed limit, holding up 5 or more vehicles behind them, and refusing to use the well-supplied turnouts. When RVing, my friends and I have always pulled over to allow vehicles to pass but not so these folks. I don't want to sound accusatory but when we were finally able to pass them it appeared the majority were being driven by 40ish males. Just wondering if RV courtesy is becoming a thing of the past and this is the new norm?
Fruit Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruit Creek View Post
Just wondering if RV courtesy is becoming a thing of the past and this is the new norm?
It's not just RV's. Far too many driver's are oblivious to their surroundings they only see what is directly in front of them. They don't think the "slower traffic keep right" applies to them even on the multi lane roads.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:08 AM   #3

When you say pullouts, what are you referring to. I ask because in Texas, it’s always been common courtesy on two lane roads to pull over onto shoulder to allow people to pass. I won’t do it with a trailer as that’s where all the road debris is. All the things that can take out one of my tires.

That being said, it pains me to be in someone’s way in that situation, but there’s little I can do about it. The other time I find myself in the way occasionally is passing. I won’t go over 70 for long. I go to pass someone and they start speeding up. I’m not going to brake and go back over. I’ll bump it up a few mph and it may take a little time to pass.
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:22 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruit Creek View Post
I don't want to sound accusatory but when we were finally able to pass them it appeared the majority were being driven by 40ish males. Just wondering if RV courtesy is becoming a thing of the past and this is the new norm?
Sadly, "everything" courtesy is becoming a thing of the past. Newer generations have become the entitled, self-absorbed, narcissist, selfie population, and really don't care about others and what's going on around them. It's all about THEM.

Take a look around at the workplace, retail stores, families, group gatherings, etc. This is the new "normal".... get use to it....
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:58 AM   #5

It is not just the 20-40 year-olds in RV's either. We were climbing a twisty mountain highway... and these hipsters are going 15MPH with a trail of traffic behind them as their Subaru had every window open taking pictures of the canyon.

Finally they pulled off at the summit turnout... On our way down... they were impatient and passed us in a reckless manner.

Unfortunately, you can almost get an advance warning of these folks - by the bumper-stickers they display.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #6

I agree, I think it's most generations, or spread across the generations.

You just have so many more people RVing now a days, you're going to have bad drivers in the group.

I also can't stand people who just drive in the middle lane on a 3 lane highway.

If you're not passing, get over to the right.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:18 AM   #7

X2 to Grumpy's statement. It just amazes me the unawareness of people on the roads. It's that only thinking of myself mentality. Goes with drivers of all sorts. This then leads to road rage as we know it. All I can say is lead by example.

2019 RAM Big Horn 1500 5.7 Hemi

2019 Jayflight 28BHS - SOLD
2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crew Max -Retired
SE Michigan
justlb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:32 AM   #8

Were the RVs in the left lane passing those in the right lane? If so they might have been going under the speed limit, but you'd just have to be patient while they complete the pass.

Semi trucks do this all the time. One trucker will be going 70 and another will get over to pass him at 71. It's infuriating but it happens.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:48 AM   #9

I maybe wrong in how I feel about this. I travel at the speed limit up to 60 mph or a little more depending on conditions. So two lane roads I am at the speed limit. If it is a multi lane road I always try to stay a the right most continuous lane. I use to get over at short right lanes, but to often get stuck slowing down because the person I am allowing to pass slows short of getting in front of me.
tcoilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
I agree, I think it's most generations, or spread across the generations.

You just have so many more people RVing now a days, you're going to have bad drivers in the group.

I also can't stand people who just drive in the middle lane on a 3 lane highway.

This implies to truck drivers too. They all like to hang in the center lane. Amazing how many I am passing while traveling in the far right lane.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post

On roads with the exits/entrances miles apart and moderate traffic I agree. However with heavy traffic and exits/entrances every mile or so (think I-95 in CT), I find it safer to travel in the middle lane and not have to constantly brake and swerve around entering vehicles who apparently don't know the meaning of a yield sign.
harryjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:49 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryjr View Post
On roads with the exits/entrances miles apart and moderate traffic I agree. However with heavy traffic and exits/entrances every mile or so (think I-95 in CT), I find it safer to travel in the middle lane and not have to constantly brake and swerve around entering vehicles who apparently don't know the meaning of a yield sign.
X2. As someone who has a mile or two over the road, I can tell you that this is my standard practice. Right lane when on open interstate except when passing. Tucked in the middle lane near any city where there are many merge points. The general population doesn't understand that the truck driver in the right lane simply can't change lanes quickly to allow them to merge. So, they force the issue and risk causing an accident. If you ever watch a seasoned commercial driver, you will see them move to the middle lane in anticipation of these areas and then back to the right when the area clears out again.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:56 AM   #13

We drive a lot of dirt roads and it’s just as bad. I always pull over for faster traffic and I expect the same when I’m not towing.
gladecreekwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
X2. As someone who has a mile or two over the road, I can tell you that this is my standard practice. Right lane when on open interstate except when passing. Tucked in the middle lane near any city where there are many merge points. The general population doesn't understand that the truck driver in the right lane simply can't change lanes quickly to allow them to merge. So, they force the issue and risk causing an accident. If you ever watch a seasoned commercial driver, you will see them move to the middle lane in anticipation of these areas and then back to the right when the area clears out again.
I do the same thing. It doesn't make sense to drive in an ending lane or exit only lane when you know you will be continuing through the area. That causes too many lane changes. But out of the populated areas, I stay to the right.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:15 PM   #15

Ask me what its like being in a Firetruck or a Ambulance trying to go save someone's life
Old 08-19-2019, 12:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
I do the same thing. It doesn't make sense to drive in an ending lane or exit only lane when you know you will be continuing through the area. That causes too many lane changes. But out of the populated areas, I stay to the right.
X3
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:23 PM   #17

I will tend to go at the speed I feel is safe and if I can find somewhere to pull over where I feel it is safe for me to do so I will. I am aware of who is behind me and try to get out of their way when I can.

I also pull over towards the shoulder on a straight bit of road when there is no one coming the other way to allow the drivers behind a better sight of the road ahead to make safe overtaking decisions. If people are overtaking me I may slow down a few mph to allow more to get past safely. Basically I try my best to be courteous but these days it is a rare thing indeed.
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:51 PM   #18

harryjr, Midnightmoon & Cincinnati Kid, I agree 100%. 75% of drivers do not know how to merge onto an interstate. I've even had them pass me on the right shoulder instead of yielding the right of way and/or getting up to speed so as not to force me from heading for the middle lane...........IF I do not have someone to the left of me. It's definitely the middle lane for me on a three lane hwy.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
....It's all about THEM.....
I call it; A "Me first society" and they are the President and CEO of their local chapter!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:52 PM   #20

The OP stated he was in North Central Washington on a two lane highway. Washinton state posts signs that when holding up 5 or more vehicles, you are to use turnouts. The turnouts are marked and there are even signs stating how far to the next one.

The inconsiderate a**holes will ignore them because they are inconsiderate. Once in awhile, one of those being held up is a state trooper who points out the offending person what he is doing wrong.

My thanks to those that do!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote