Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2019, 08:23 AM   #1

Highway etiquette - just wondering

We took a road trip to north central WA this week ([I]sans[I] FW) and noticed something we aren't used to. We came up on lots of RVs (motorhomes, FWs, and trailers) traveling well under the speed limit, holding up 5 or more vehicles behind them, and refusing to use the well-supplied turnouts. When RVing, my friends and I have always pulled over to allow vehicles to pass but not so these folks. I don't want to sound accusatory but when we were finally able to pass them it appeared the majority were being driven by 40ish males. Just wondering if RV courtesy is becoming a thing of the past and this is the new norm?

Fruit Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruit Creek View Post
Just wondering if RV courtesy is becoming a thing of the past and this is the new norm?
It's not just RV's. Far too many driver's are oblivious to their surroundings they only see what is directly in front of them. They don't think the "slower traffic keep right" applies to them even on the multi lane roads.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:08 AM   #3

When you say pullouts, what are you referring to. I ask because in Texas, itís always been common courtesy on two lane roads to pull over onto shoulder to allow people to pass. I wonít do it with a trailer as thatís where all the road debris is. All the things that can take out one of my tires.

That being said, it pains me to be in someoneís way in that situation, but thereís little I can do about it. The other time I find myself in the way occasionally is passing. I wonít go over 70 for long. I go to pass someone and they start speeding up. Iím not going to brake and go back over. Iíll bump it up a few mph and it may take a little time to pass.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruit Creek View Post
I don't want to sound accusatory but when we were finally able to pass them it appeared the majority were being driven by 40ish males. Just wondering if RV courtesy is becoming a thing of the past and this is the new norm?
Sadly, "everything" courtesy is becoming a thing of the past. Newer generations have become the entitled, self-absorbed, narcissist, selfie population, and really don't care about others and what's going on around them. It's all about THEM.

Take a look around at the workplace, retail stores, families, group gatherings, etc. This is the new "normal".... get use to it....

2019 Redhawk 24B

RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:58 AM   #5

It is not just the 20-40 year-olds in RV's either. We were climbing a twisty mountain highway... and these hipsters are going 15MPH with a trail of traffic behind them as their Subaru had every window open taking pictures of the canyon.

Finally they pulled off at the summit turnout... On our way down... they were impatient and passed us in a reckless manner.

Unfortunately, you can almost get an advance warning of these folks - by the bumper-stickers they display.
2007 Toyota FJC - on the trailer

SloPoke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #6

I agree, I think it's most generations, or spread across the generations.

You just have so many more people RVing now a days, you're going to have bad drivers in the group.

I also can't stand people who just drive in the middle lane on a 3 lane highway.

If you're not passing, get over to the right.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:18 AM   #7

X2 to Grumpy's statement. It just amazes me the unawareness of people on the roads. It's that only thinking of myself mentality. Goes with drivers of all sorts. This then leads to road rage as we know it. All I can say is lead by example.
SE Michigan

justlb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:32 AM   #8

Were the RVs in the left lane passing those in the right lane? If so they might have been going under the speed limit, but you'd just have to be patient while they complete the pass.

Semi trucks do this all the time. One trucker will be going 70 and another will get over to pass him at 71. It's infuriating but it happens.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:48 AM   #9

I maybe wrong in how I feel about this. I travel at the speed limit up to 60 mph or a little more depending on conditions. So two lane roads I am at the speed limit. If it is a multi lane road I always try to stay a the right most continuous lane. I use to get over at short right lanes, but to often get stuck slowing down because the person I am allowing to pass slows short of getting in front of me.
tcoilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
I agree, I think it's most generations, or spread across the generations.

You just have so many more people RVing now a days, you're going to have bad drivers in the group.

I also can't stand people who just drive in the middle lane on a 3 lane highway.

If you're not passing, get over to the right.
This implies to truck drivers too. They all like to hang in the center lane. Amazing how many I am passing while traveling in the far right lane.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Southwire Black 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators
Micro-Air EasyStartô 364 (3-ton) Soft Starter
GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote