Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-16-2015, 07:33 AM   #1

Hole in the wall

I知 sure this is an elementary question for many of you. I want to cut a hole in the RV exterior wall to make a modification. The wall is actually between the interior of the RV and an outside access storage compartment . My question is: How does one determine if there is anything important (ie water/electric etc) located in the wall at the spot you wish the hole?

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:34 AM   #2

A stud finder could easily miss some stuff. A snake video camera would only require a small exploratory hole that could be patched if you found something in the way. Other than that you you could make the hole being prepared to cover it with some kind of access panel if there was some interference behind it.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:09 AM   #3

A basic inspection should give a good idea if whether anything is that bulkhead/wall. Are there any electrical receptacles in the general area? Are you anywhere near plumbed appliances, tanks, etc.? Are there obvious breaks in continuity which would indicate that the wall isn't really suited for wiring or pipes to get anywhere.

The vibrating multi tools (Fein tool) allow clean shallow access holes to be cut. If for some reason you did choose poorly a vented cover looks OEM and will cover your sin. Or just a blank electrical receptacle cover will work on small holes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	VentCover.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	21197

Vents & Blinds [5]

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:39 AM   #4

When I wanted to drill a hole in the floor, I contacted Jayco with my vin number. They send me all the floor drawings.

In general, I have not seen any RV that has wiring or pipes that run through an outside wall. However, you will have studs, fiberglass insulation, possibly foam board insulation within the wall. A stud finder can help, an inferred camera works nicely (hard to find one). Easiest option is to contact Jayco. Be careful on your choice of words if the unit is less than two years old. I did not have any issues, but I have heard others comment that Jayco frowned on their mods and stated it would void the warranty on that area of the unit.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
I知 sure this is an elementary question for many of you. I want to cut a hole in the RV exterior wall to make a modification. The wall is actually between the interior of the RV and an outside access storage compartment . My question is: How does one determine if there is anything important (ie water/electric etc) located in the wall at the spot you wish the hole?

Shorty
None of the inside walls that access outside storage on my trailer have anything to them. From the storage compartment, you can see the framing and wall board, there aren't two layers. Now from the storage compartment to the outside, that's different. But everything that's NOT an outside wall is only the framing and one side of thin luan wall board.

Even my rear bunk that shares a wall with the shower stall. Above the bunk base, it's finished wall with wall board and wall paper. But below the bunk, there's a storage compartment, and you can see the back of the shower wall and the framing from inside the storage compartment.

Are you sure there are two layers to the wall in question? It would seem odd for the inside of a storage compartment to be "finished" except for perhaps the basement on a 5er.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:46 AM   #6

Thanks to all for your ideas. Each of you make great points. The compartment I'm dealing with is the compartment under the front of the 5th wheel behind the pin box that houses the propane tanks. The back side of it is covered with the same material as the exterior of the RV. The other side of that wall is the inside wall in the living area. However, as I'm typing, I think there is a light fixture located on that wall in the bunk room above the area I'm dealing with. I can remove it and take a look. Guess I'm just making this to difficult.

Thanks to all and have a great Holliday.

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 01:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
Thanks to all for your ideas. Each of you make great points. The compartment I'm dealing with is the compartment under the front of the 5th wheel behind the pin box that houses the propane tanks. The back side of it is covered with the same material as the exterior of the RV. The other side of that wall is the inside wall in the living area. However, as I'm typing, I think there is a light fixture located on that wall in the bunk room above the area I'm dealing with. I can remove it and take a look. Guess I'm just making this to difficult.

Thanks to all and have a great Holliday.

Shorty
I thought perhaps you were dealing with a 5th wheel as I was finishing up my comment. Sorry, still can't help.

I don't think you're making it difficult at all. Better to ask first and drill later. In your case, I might go to Jayco for a frame drawing if your rig is more than 2 years old or not under factory warranty any more.

Either way, I know I'd have second thoughts about going through that wall; you never know what might be back there, and I wouldn't trust logic to work into it!

Good luck!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote