Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-20-2019, 02:31 PM   #21

Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:32 PM   #22

Vicr is correct where most people get in trouble is with the 30 amp being wired for a dryer outlet (220) and not for an rv (120)
newsleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad5581 View Post
You can put the new outlet anywhere you want. Just remember that your rv runs on 50 amps of 120w not 50 amp of 240w. If you put in a 240w outlet you will burn your converter up. There is a difference. It's not the same as a dryer plug. Just make sure you run the right gage of wire and you use the right plug and hook it up as 120w.
Huh???

A 14-50R receptacle is wired with two 120volt legs and a common neutral. Across the X and Y legs it IS 240V when wired correctly.

Not that I always carry these things around everyday, but I actually do in our Seneca, as some RV Parks need a quick repair. Pictures taken of the package.
Attached Thumbnails
20191120_132846.jpg   20191120_132851.jpg   20191120_132912.jpg  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfernj View Post
Anyone have RV hookup installed at home? If so, does plugin need to be close to the service box? Most logical parking for us is on opposite side of the house from our service panel which is inside our garage. Also our MH is 50 amp. Do you recommend 50 amp hookup at home or 30 amp okay? Thinking we mght be using MH as guest house part time.
Our breaker box is on one side of the house and we park in the drive on the other side. I installed a 30 amp breaker in the box, ran a wire to the other side of the house under the front porch, set a short pole just inside the gate to the back yard, installed a 12o outdoors plug box, and ran my line from the motor home to the box. I can reach the sewer clean out from there. It works just great.
1SGPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:12 PM   #25

The only issue with placement of the outlet box for the RV is what it's going to take to get the wiring to that location. It does not need to be close to the service panel but you will need to run the line to wherever you place the box. As to whether to put in 50 or 30 AMP service to the rig, like most things it depends. If all you want to do is maintain the battery/ies and will never run the a/c 30 AMP may be okay. You mentioned you thought you might use the coach as a guest house. That would probably mean you need 50 AMP.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:41 PM   #26

Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfernj;8next to 09337
Anyone have RV hookup installed at home? If so, does plugin need to be close to the service box? Most logical parking for us is on opposite side of the house from our service panel which is inside our garage. Also our MH is 50 amp. Do you recommend 50 amp hookup at home or 30 amp okay? Thinking we mght be using MH as guest house part time.

The individual who built my house put a 50amp RV box on the pad next to the 10 ft garage door on the drive, and another one under the shed I converted to the RV shed across the drive and free standing from other buildings. All this on the east side of the house. 400amp service comes into the house on the west side, and the breaker box is located on the west exterior wall, feeding by 8 gauge wire to the outlet on the house, 6 gauge wire to the shed due to distance.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
WOW!!!!! This is WRONG!!! I'm a licensed electrician in the state of Washington and have been in the trade 36 years and this statement is completely wrong. A 50amp RV service is a 120/240v with a neutral and ground. The converters input is one leg of the 240 circuit. I'll post schematics later when I get home from work.
True that technically there is potentially 240 there, but RVs discussed here use each 120 line separately, and do not use 240 at all. Even the AC's are 120. The poster was just trying to explain that.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:58 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
WOW!!!!! This is WRONG!!! I'm a licensed electrician in the state of Washington and have been in the trade 36 years and this statement is completely wrong. A 50amp RV service is a 120/240v with a neutral and ground. The converters input is one leg of the 240 circuit. I'll post schematics later when I get home from work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
True that technically there is potentially 240 there, but RVs discussed here use each 120 line separately, and do not use 240 at all. Even the AC's are 120. The poster was just trying to explain that.
Also, since there are 2 separate 50 amp 120 lines in an RV setup, when you go from a 30 amp to a 50 amp RV, you're really going from 30 to 100 total amps available. Right? Big difference.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:58 PM   #29

I have a 50 amp outlet for my trailer. I am electrician my suggestion is to run the correct wire for your application and correct breaker size. Also aluminum vs copper for a feeder. The insulation rating is a factor and the length wire to your outlet. Usually you don't run into upgrading wire unless up above 125'. You can get by with a 20amp receptacle to keep batteries charged and frig cool. Good luck!
steve.jurnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:04 PM   #30

Quote:

No not potentially, 240 is there in the RV panel. If you needed 240 in an RV it's there, all you have to do is put in a 2 pole breaker and viola! 240v. The poster was technically wrong as the professional which I am have stated.
There are too many people here in internet world who know enough to be dangerous and "poster" is one of them. Bad advice, misinformation etc. runs rampant on internet forums and professionals like myself will speak up and post the facts.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:07 PM   #31

Quote:
Also, since there are 2 separate 50 amp 120 lines in an RV setup, when you go from a 30 amp to a 50 amp RV, you're really going from 30 to 100 total amps available. Right? YES.

Big difference.

Old 11-20-2019, 09:31 PM   #32

50 Amp Connection

I have a RV concrete pad about 80 feet from the house. Had a contractor tie me into the sewer system. I tied into my sprinkler system plumbing for fresh water. I ran a 50 amp service to the 5th wheel from the house main service with a RV pedestal at the trailer. I ran the service through 1-1/2 Pvc. Also ran a coax cable from the house cable system through the same pipe. I can run my Dish Hopper 3 receiver with a remote at the trailer.

Now I can run everything just like an RV park connection and run 2 A/C 15k with no problem. Also the microwave etc. Just about as easy to run 50 amp service as 30 amp. Just the difference in the cost of the wire.
2018 GMC Sierra Denalli 4WD 1T CC Dually Duramax/Allison Nav Sys,-Sun Roof-On Star-XM Radio
serfas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:03 PM   #33

We have a 20amp service to where we park our TT. Twenty amp will run A/C or microwave but not both at and time. We have water within a few feet. There is no dump for tanks....yet. I think a pump/grinder of some kind. When I can afford the #8 have wire there will be a thirty amp service. It would increase the value of our house also.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:55 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfernj View Post
Our trailer is on the other side of the house of the panel and we ran a #8 wire from panel to the new box by the trailer with no power loss. Of course had a electrician do the hookup. Now we can prep before any trip easy.
Wingie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:16 AM   #35

I am also a licensed electrician and a full timer. The set up I use in New York is a four wire 30 amp circuit. It gives us a total of 60 amps, 30 Amps per leg with the addition of only one extra conductor. Number 10 conductors are adequate however if you’re worried about voltage drop I would go with number 8 Conductors.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:51 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWedell View Post
I am also a licensed electrician and a full timer. The set up I use in New York is a four wire 30 amp circuit. It gives us a total of 60 amps, 30 Amps per leg with the addition of only one extra conductor. Number 10 conductors are adequate however if you’re worried about voltage drop I would go with number 8 Conductors.
I think that's the solution for us. Two 30 amp legs would be plenty of power. We're on an extension cord now, just to keep the batteries charged, but would like to be able to run A/C next year.
Thanks for the idea.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:47 AM   #37

Having a full 50 amp RV hookup can always come in handy. In a emergency you can fully use the RV. Water or smoke damage can put you out for a good amount of time. It would be really nice to be able to stay in your RV without being restricted.
RV Electric
https://www.southwire.com/calculator-vdrop
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:36 PM   #38

I'm one of those who knows enough about electricity to be dangerous, but I also know better, so if it gets the least bit complicated, I hire a professional.

I hired an electrician client of mine to put a 50A receptacle on the side of my garage, which is just a few feet from where I park my rig when I have it at home. My TT was 50A, and I enjoyed being able to run whatever I wanted. He installed the 50A outlet literally inches from my main service panel before I even took delivery of my trailer.

Now my MH is 30A, and I use a dogbone to adapt, and obviously still run whatever I want.

I have 100' of 3/4" hose and a FloJet macerator that goes to my septic washout for tank operations, and a city water spigot right on the side of the garage. Plus I live far enough out in the sticks that I'm fine watering my trees and bushes with gray water if needed (though I don't do that very often).

IMO, if you aren't TOTALLY comfortable and VERY knowledgeable with installing something like this, hire a professional to do it. I can tell you that in my experience it has been WELL worth it. When it's hot out, we can run both AC units and not kill ourselves making repairs or loading up for a trip. Plus since it's a MH, I can be sure it's all cooled down before we get on the road.

I have family who RV as well, and the driveway is always open for them to stop over for a visit. Full (almost) hookups and great hospitality are a great selling feature, as if "Free" wasn't enough. If something goes wrong with the house, we can set up in the camper and be perfectly comfortable. Perfect example was when our AC went out not long ago. Thankfully I also have an HVAC client (who also happens to be a neighbor), so we got it fixed pretty quick, but we could've parked the camper in the driveway and been fine indefinitely.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:51 PM   #39

What amazes me is how much the box stores rip people off on wire. A local box store wants $58 for 50ft of 10/2 an I'm buying the same exact wire at work for $17.80. If I could order the box an receptacle I would but I'm at the mercy of the box stores.
At least I saved some money.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:04 PM   #40

I just put a 50 amp service 70 feet away from the entrance of our electrical box. Works great cost $500
BraveheartLeather is offline   Reply With Quote