Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-20-2018, 11:38 AM   #21

Another option is if you are willing to buy used there are some good deals on the apps and craigslist on the Honda 2000i . They range from used and abused to never opened. Some people need to have the newest and greatest and are getting rid of their 2000's for the 2200, and are selling them for a good discount. If you are not in a huge hurry they pop up all the time, and you could take your picked of a good one.

I purchased one honda 2000 new because I thought I was going to need it on a trip, ended up not needing it. About a week later the 2200's hit the market. I thought about selling my new 2000 but when i started seeing the deals on the used 2000's it changed my mind, pick up a second 2000 off a selling app and works great for my needs.

To add to this I originally thought I needed to get the Honda 7000i because I wanted to run both A/C's in the middle of the summer in the desert. I realize now I will either have full hookups in the middle of the summer or I wont be out camping.
vegasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattf301 View Post
Wow! Thanks for all the info. I am leaning towards the Champion but doing more research I am also looking at the Westinghouse igen4500 and the Pulsar PGR4000. They're all about 100lbs. Of course my concern is hauling it into the back of my truck!
Lot of good generators out there. Keep in mind even the smallest little part or problem can stop the best generator dead in its tracks. IMO, "proven" warranty support is almost as important as the performance of the generator itself. The warranty for a particular generator may look awesome on paper, but in reality the hoops you may have to jump through (i.e., the small print) makes some of these warranties almost worthless. IMO, Champion offers some of the best warranty support in the business. Arguably the most reliable generator on the market is the Honda. Bottom line, if you're going to make a smart, "overall" choice, there are a number of important things to consider. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Quote:
My RV will have the 15,000 btu unit. If I install the Easy Stert can I use just the one Honda 2000w unit? Quiet operation is important.
Let me try to address your question which involves the Micro-Air Easy Start, the Honda EU2000i generator, and your 15k BTU RV a/c unit.

Important note about the Micro-Air Easy Start (MAES). The MAES does NOT reduce (or effect) the continuous current draw of an RV a/c unit. The continuous current draw of the RV a/c unit remains the same regardless whether you use the MAES or not. The MAES ONLY works for approx. ONE SECOND (to reduce the LRA) when the compressor starts, after that it does absolutely NOTHING until the compressor starts again.

As for the Honda EU2000i, it's rated for 1600 watts (13.3 amps) of continuous output. At maxumum output the noise level is rated at 58db for ONE unit---one of the quieter generators on the market. Paralleling two Honda EU2000i's will double the continuous current output and also raise the noise level noticeably (vs. one). The new Honda EU2200i has slightly better current specs and slightly worse noise level specs.

Again, not all 15k BTU a/c units are created equal. Some 15k BTU a/c units can continuously draw as much as 15-16 amps, some draw as little as 12-13 amps. Again, the EU2000i is only rated for 13.3 amps of continuous output. What is the continuous current (amps) draw for your 15k BTU a/c unit? This should be on the data sticker near the compressor. You can also look-up the data sheet for your specific model a/c unit at the manufacturer's website. Don't trust a brochure which typically only list generic or pre-production estimates.

If you're only going to use one EU2000i (and your RV a/c unit draws 13.3 amps or less), you'll want to make sure every 120 vac device in your trailer is turned off except the RV a/c unit. FWIW, it's very easy to forget something. I'd suggest turning off ALL the 120 vac breakers except the one for the RV a/c unit. I'd also confirm the current draw with a clamp-on ammeter. Current draw could be higher than expected due to electrical losses between the generator and the device being powered. Inexpensive clamp-on ammeters can be purchased for approx. $30.

Yes, some ignore all these precautions. There are many folks who overload their Honda EU2000i's (most unknowingly). Sure, they run "fine" overloaded for the short-term, but running them overloaded long-term definitely compromises the electrical and mechanical components of the generator---one day it works, the next month it doesn't---no obvious cause of death. If I were camping for more than a day, I'd parallel a pair of Honda EU2000i's, even if the RV a/c unit was drawing less than 13.3 amps. Why ran one EU2000i at near maximum output, powering just the RV a/c unit, and not be able to run any other 120vac appliances (especially the converter)? I'd rather take the time to parallel two EU2000i's and camp comfortably---run the RV a/c, run the microwave, charge the batteries---enjoy your time.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Hi All. I am new to RVing. I just bought a new SL209 toyhauler. I got the upgraded A/C(15,000 btu). I am in the market for a generator as I wil be boondocking more often than not. I was thinking of getting a single 3400 watt unit, Honda, Yamaha or Champion. Or possibly 2 -2200 watt units. I see the Champion dual unit will only put out 3000 watts when connected. I don't think that will start the A/C. Will the dual Honda 2200 units give me enough power to start the A/C? Should I buy the single 3400 watt Honda?

Thanks!
You might want to look at the 2800 Honda. Same price as 2200 and not a whole lot heavier.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:36 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
You might want to look at the 2800 Honda. Same price as 2200 and not a whole lot heavier.
I looked extensively at the Honda 2800 when it was first released last year. The negative for me was the open frame design and the 67dB at load rating. Nice little generator though. Just not as quiet as the 2000 or 2200.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:54 PM   #25

We have the Honda 2800, and it is definitely louder. It does run our 13,500 btu A/C just fine without any other appliance drawing power. I would choose a larger genny if I had to do it over.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:02 PM   #26

Quote:
Wow! Thanks for all the info. I am leaning towards the Champion but doing more research I am also looking at the Westinghouse igen4500 and the Pulsar PGR4000. They're all about 100lbs. Of course my concern is hauling it into the back of my truck!
My RV will have the 15,000 btu unit. If I install the Easy Stert can I use just the one Honda 2000w unit? Quiet operation is important.
YES, BUT.... If you want to run a lot of other electronics, you will need the 2nd
Honda running in parallel.

Yes, there is a cable kit that plugs into the 2 generators with a shared 30 amp plug.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:25 PM   #27

Or one Igen 4500 at 97 lbs and around $950 it’s hard to beat imo There was a time the Honda’s were the only good low noise gens to be had and you paid for that.today there are plenty to choose from with good quality at half the cost of a Honda. To me it’s paying for a name no doubt a quality name but not the only gen in town anymore.

1992-2010 Jayco 1401 93 GMC Sub
2018-20?? 2019 Jayco Octane 222SL 18 Silverado 1500
Gogrampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:49 PM   #28

I am considering one of the 4500w units but again the weight of the unit... I haven't taken possession of my SL209(March). I could store the generator in the rv as it does have a ramp in the back or get some kind of ramp to roll it into the PU bed.
mattf301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:46 PM   #29

Quote:
I am considering one of the 4500w units but again the weight of the unit... I haven't taken possession of my SL209(March). I could store the generator in the rv as it does have a ramp in the back or get some kind of ramp to roll it into the PU bed.
Keep in mind the actual angle you would have to push the generator up. Most ramps I could find are made for ATVs or something else self propelled.
vegasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:03 PM   #30

In my case, I have Honda 2000 and companion. My AC is a 2017 15k. I can run the AC using just the Companion unit with the 30mp plug. It seems to run at max capacity so I turn the breaker off for the converter and it runs I would guess around 80%. If I run both the 2000 and companion They run most everything around 50%, the eco mode seems to reduces rpms and also the decibels of noise. Of course, adding the microwave or coffee make puts more load on it.
What I’m not sure of is if I use less fuel running one at 80+% or both units at 50%. This next summer I’ll need to run it both ways for an hour and see what it takes to refill.
I’m also guessing that near max is harder on the set than running at 50% or so.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:52 PM   #31

My suggestion would be, Do your upmost to be a good neighbor. Folks like me boondock for quiet not to listen to generators. Buy the quietest generator you can find, use it as little as possible. Solar is your friend.
Idaho Spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:02 PM   #32

Champion Dual Fuel

I use the Champion Dual Fuel and connect it to my onboard propane system with a long propane hose, utilizing only the regulator at the onboard tanks. It fires up the AC on my 28BHKS without any problems. I don't recall the specs on my TT AC, but you could look them up if you think they may be the same as yours. This gives us the freedom from gas cans in the TT or tow vehicle.
Nanmwarki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:32 PM   #33

Going back to the original poster, he has a toy hauler so add a wheel
kit to a bigger generator of your choice and roll it in and out of the
toy hauler.

I have a 5th wheel trailer and a somewhat bad back so I have a set
of the Honda 2000i generators hooked together to run my A/C and
other needs when not in a hook up campground.

The 2000i or the 2200i weigh in at about 35 pounds each and are
easy to load and unload from the back of my truck or the rack on the
back of my trailer.

Your experience may differ.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:50 PM   #34

We love our dual fuel Champion 3500 Inverter (I think the 3500 is only available from Camping World and Capela's). We love being able to hook it into the RV's propane system and not have to hassle with gas cans. Their service is amazing - when I called to ask for tips on hooking it into the grill outlet they sent me instructions and A FREE REGULATOR.
CaptainVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:54 PM   #35

I purchased a Honda Eu2200i generator for my Jay feather 24RL. I ran two tanks of fuel through it and then changed the oil. The main purpose was to see if it would run my 15k btu ac unit in my camper. It ran for over an hour with no problems or faults.

My camper is a 2019 model and I'm assuming it must be using soft start technology because I only needed one Honda 2200 generator to run it. I was planning to install the Micro-air easy start but it does not seam to be needed.*

I have no way to measure the peak current at startup but using a kill-a-watt meter it shows 13.7 amps with the AC on. The generator is rated for 16 amps contuous and 18 amps for short duration.

Lou*
Saint James NY
Flyn2High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:58 PM   #36

I would go with the remote start inverter Champion over the 2 Honda’s. Save your money for gas food and beer.

2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
2016 Jayco Jay Flight Elite 27BHS
Sunflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:34 PM   #37

I went through this last summer. While staying in a KOA for half a year i met a lot of folks and this topic seemed to be pretty popular. Turns out most of these folks are happy with their good ole faithful 3500 Watt Super Quiet Preditar Inverter Generator from Harbor Freight. I am a proud owner of one of these, got mine on sale for a little over $600 bill. This will win the challenge test against Honda. Much more quiet, very dependable, Runs my AC, Microwave and TV without a grunt. If you want more power, you can daisy chain two. Comes with electric start also has pull start. Although i haven't figured out where to buy the bluetooth gizmo, you can add an auto start feature using your cell phone.. Yes,, this is made in China, but you know what, most other major brand Generators/Inverters are also. For peace of mind, purchase the lifetime warranty for another $60.. You just can't go wrong with this unit..
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:14 PM   #38

Predator 3500 Inverter

Couple of things on the Predator. Bought one last week.

159 for the 2 year warranty on top of the 90 days.

That gets you one replacement generator, only one incident. If you break your original on day 91, and the replacement on day 182 you are SOL.

Still doing the break in, waited for my magnetic tipped oil dipstick, wanted to get this thing to last. Lots of fines at 5 hour and at 15 hours on the oil changes. 2-3 larger chunks and lots of shimmer in the oil even at the second change at 15 hours.

No parallel kit from HF, yet.

Been running a 1500w space heater (continuous) break in, just did 7.5 hours on one tank not on eco. I stopped it since I needed to leave. I did over fill the red line on the tank though, 89 octane E0.
cantupshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:39 PM   #39

I have the Honda 2000I and the 2000I Companion. They have been very dependable for me. It is easy to hook the two together and then you double the wattage. I have extended run tanks that will run the generator for 8 hours or longer without refueling. They weight 46 pounds each and have never failed to start even after sitting for 5 months. I think the quiet running of the Honda's is worth a lot to me. I have two AC's on my camper and have never tried to run both but I don't think they would run both AC's. Enjoy the new camper and make some memories.
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:08 PM   #40

I have the Champion 3400 Dual Fuel. I have 2 AC units and have run them both. The great thing about the dual fuel is not having to carry gas (which obviously, you will) and the fact that running on propane keeps the carb clean. Enjoy!
jw2bugle is offline   Reply With Quote