Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-27-2018, 07:09 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantupshift View Post
Couple of things on the Predator. Bought one last week.

159 for the 2 year warranty on top of the 90 days.

That gets you one replacement generator, only one incident. If you break your original on day 91, and the replacement on day 182 you are SOL.

Still doing the break in, waited for my magnetic tipped oil dipstick, wanted to get this thing to last. Lots of fines at 5 hour and at 15 hours on the oil changes. 2-3 larger chunks and lots of shimmer in the oil even at the second change at 15 hours.

No parallel kit from HF, yet.

Been running a 1500w space heater (continuous) break in, just did 7.5 hours on one tank not on eco. I stopped it since I needed to leave. I did over fill the red line on the tank though, 89 octane E0.

The parallel kit from HF is #62564.. They have been available for a least 6 months or longer. Still checking with a friend that has the Bluetooth Remote Start via cell phone gizmo.. will post that as soon is get info. I've got over 125 hrs on mine and she runs great. I've changed oil twice and measured both with less than a teaspoon of oil loss and my bet, that teaspoon was still in the engine. I did buy the warranty, don't think i will need it. Getting ready to purchase my 2nd very soon as i do have two AC units. Keep us posted on your HF experience on this Thread,, I'll do the same.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:30 AM   #42

Thanks to everyone. I have some research to do! I want to do a lot of boondocking. I will look into solar as well. How many batteries do you all use? I have heard the 6 volt batteries are better in some ways.
mattf301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:56 AM   #43

I do a lot of dry camping and a good bit of that out in the beautiful lower calif desert. Solar works great, especially in the sunny desert. However, one should consider the weight of batteries and if use of AC is any concern. I opted to stay with two batteries and stick with the Inverter Generator. I have an engineer friend that has an F450 for his tow vechicle pulling a 38' Montana. Weight is no concern for him.. He has an eight battery setup with a solar panel on his roof. He installed all the batteries in a Tray system where the factory generator would normally go and huge inverter where the factory batteries went. He also has two Honda inverter generators he carries in truck compartments. His 8 battery inverter set up will actually run his AC for a few hours. Those eight batteries weight more than a 3500 watt inverter generator and as long as you have fuel burn, you have an unlimited power source. As mentioned, I have weight concerns so i plan too stick with two batteries, a 3500 inverter generator, (possible two for special occasions) and someday down the road i may pick up a lightweight solar panel for the roof to trickle charge batteries. I think your main concerns would be weight, tow vehicle limits, space and where you plan to camp.
If you plan to use your AC a lot,, go with a generator. If you plan on limited us of AC,, solar battery might work. If you have unlimigted $$ funds, then the sky is the limit. just do it al :-)
Old 12-28-2018, 11:15 AM   #44

Had Honda's for years opted for Champion 3500 remote start. No problems just a little heavy at 100lbs. Thanks
brettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:58 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
The parallel kit from HF is #62564.. They have been available for a least 6 months or longer. Still checking with a friend that has the Bluetooth Remote Start via cell phone gizmo.. will post that as soon is get info. I've got over 125 hrs on mine and she runs great. I've changed oil twice and measured both with less than a teaspoon of oil loss and my bet, that teaspoon was still in the engine. I did buy the warranty, don't think i will need it. Getting ready to purchase my 2nd very soon as i do have two AC units. Keep us posted on your HF experience on this Thread,, I'll do the same.
So that kit is the parallel kit for the 2000 watt generators not the 3500 watt, it says it's only rated for 4000 watts let me know about the bluetooth kit.

Also I throw Stabil 360, Startron and Techron in my gas cans on top of E0 gas. I don't 100% trust that the tanker truck won't make a mistake. I'm not someone who wants to clean a carb on a zero turn or a generator.
cantupshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:48 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantupshift View Post
So that kit is the parallel kit for the 2000 watt generators not the 3500 watt, it says it's only rated for 4000 watts let me know about the bluetooth kit.

Also I throw Stabil 360, Startron and Techron in my gas cans on top of E0 gas. I don't 100% trust that the tanker truck won't make a mistake. I'm not someone who wants to clean a carb on a zero turn or a generator.
If you want to use your 50 Amp option go with a Firman 50 Amp Parallel kit. Most Parallel kits are universal as is Firman. You could also easily build one from heavy gauge @ a Y adapter. Pretty much all they are. I use Stabil during winter months and no use months. I like the option of duel fuel, wish HP would do this.. I've sent them a request for future units.. If enough people make same suggestion maybe they will catch on. below is link to a Firman 50 Amp
Parallel Kit https://www.amazon.com/Firman-1201-P...03017531&psc=1
Old 01-03-2019, 05:35 PM   #47

Predator Generator

Does anyone have any experience with the Predator 3500 watt inverter generator? I have two friends who have one and use for tailgating and swear by them as far as dependability, but their usage is usually less than 4-5 hr run times each use. The reviews I see on line appear to rate it as well as the Champion and Yamaha. I could purchase one here locally for $689 on sale. Appreciate any feedback.

Also, I see many reviews here with some saying they start a 16k BTU AC with a 3400 generator and others who say they cannot. I have a 2019 Jayflight TT. Anyway to know ahead of time if it will work for this application? Thanks.
Jaycophil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:09 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycophil View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the Predator 3500 watt inverter generator? I have two friends who have one and use for tailgating and swear by them as far as dependability, but their usage is usually less than 4-5 hr run times each use. The reviews I see on line appear to rate it as well as the Champion and Yamaha. I could purchase one here locally for $689 on sale. Appreciate any feedback.

Also, I see many reviews here with some saying they start a 16k BTU AC with a 3400 generator and others who say they cannot. I have a 2019 Jayflight TT. Anyway to know ahead of time if it will work for this application? Thanks.
Get the generator and if it doesn't start your AC you can always get an easy start for it so it will.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:54 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycophil View Post

the 3500 will easily start and run your 16K BTU AC. I have the 3500 it starts and runs my 18k BTU, Ref, TV & Microwave with no problem. Also when running everything stated, she is running in high gear. Also, It won't allow my second 16k BTU AC to run simutaniously with the other unit. I am happy with mine and would buy it again. Certainly can't beat the price.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:39 PM   #50

Going to have to check out the firman kit.

You can watch the unit to see if it is overloaded and how many watts it's drawing. If it goes into overload and still starts I'd probably start looking for a micro air easy start.

Even if it starts up fine, no sense in shortening the life of your ac or generator.
Old 07-06-2022, 08:10 AM   #51

Would Fan already ON help?

I have a question about keeping the AC fan continuously running. In leu of holding off on installing a soft start, would I be saving any AC startup watts by leaving the fan continuously blowing? I know it takes a few watts to get the fan up and running before the compressor kicks in. While in the same respect, the Dometic 13,500 BTU AC that I have starts with the fan only then 4 seconds later the compressor kicks on. Is it designed like this to help ease the start up watt usage? Trying to see if AC startup and continuous operation is possible while my generator is in ECO-MODE. Eco mode being total wattage to not exceed 2,550 Watts. Thanks

"If everyday is a break-even day, I'm good with that"
2020 JayFlight SLX 287 BHS, UVW 6,180 lbs
2015 RAM 1500, 8spd, 4x4, 5.7L, TowPak, 3.21 ratio, Fastway e2 2-Point Sway, AirLift 1000, GCWR 13,800lbs
1998 Coleman Redwood Pop-up (sold2020)
2000 Ford F-150 SuperCab (sold2018)
JDug66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:17 AM   #52

Having the fan run is not a bad idea.

I don't know that leaving the gen set in eco and letting it ramp up while starting the ac is the best idea. Figure the low voltage can't be good for your unit and as it cycles off and on.

I did read once that an issue with the soft starts is that they double the time when it cycles off before it can turn back on or they limit the amount of output.

Id love to hear from someone who has one and an opinion.
Old 07-06-2022, 06:13 PM   #53

HF Preditator

I have camped with several people using the inverter type Predator from Harbor Freight. I was surprised just how quiet they were and the owners told me they worked great and were easy to start. Best part they were much less expensive than Honda but specs were the same or better. HF usually puts them on sale from time to time.

I have one at home for emergencies but my RV has an on-board generator.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 03:26 PM   #54

Anyone use WEN generators? How do they compare to Honda, Champion and Predator?
66lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote