Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2015, 09:49 PM   #1

Honda Generator parts & maintenance

I've got a Honda EU2000i plus an EU2000i companion. We used them a bit when we rented a TT 2 years ago, but they've pretty much just been sitting in the garage ever since. I was lazy and didn't prep them for storage... so now they pretty much don't run.

My plan is to give them each an oil change, new spark plug, clean air filter, and then tear down, clean, and re-assemble the carburetors to see if that gets them going again. I'm pretty sure it's clogged up with varnish by now.

2 Questions:

1) Where do I go to buy parts? None of the local shops carry any parts at all for these things, so I guess I have to order online. Who is a good (i.e. inexpensive and reliable) vendor to use?

2) The generators don't even start at this point. Am I on the right track with cleaning out the carbs, or is there something else I should try first?

I found a few youtube videos on tearing down and cleaning the carbs, looks fairly straightforward. Just wondering if that's the right path.

ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:25 PM   #2

Can't answer #1, but #2, I think you're on the right track. There are tons of online suppliers for the parts, I just can't tell you which one to use. I've ordered small engine parts from multiple places. Ours sat up for a while one time and neither would start. Did just as you've mentioned with cleaning carbs and changing the oil, plug etc, and they run great again. I'm a little more careful with them now since they're not cheap.

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:20 AM   #3
Site Team

I have never needed parts for mine yet but our local Honda dealer has them, some in stock and can order also. I took mine there when it was still in warranty to have the carb. adjusted.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:34 AM   #4
bap

Jack's Small Engines http://www.jackssmallengines.com is a good source for small engine parts. I have bought from them several times for other brands. Honda Carburetors and Parts - 4-Cycle
Old 08-30-2015, 12:21 PM   #5

Thanks, all... Appreciate the tips!
Old 08-30-2015, 02:09 PM   #6

Don't know about Honda generators, but I do know Honda motorcycle carbs will varnish-up if unstabilized gas is left in them over the winter. So you are most likely correct in starting there.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksdude View Post
I've got a Honda EU2000i plus an EU2000i companion. We used them a bit when we rented a TT 2 years ago, but they've pretty much just been sitting in the garage ever since. I was lazy and didn't prep them for storage... so now they pretty much don't run.

My plan is to give them each an oil change, new spark plug, clean air filter, and then tear down, clean, and re-assemble the carburetors to see if that gets them going again. I'm pretty sure it's clogged up with varnish by now.

2 Questions:

1) Where do I go to buy parts? None of the local shops carry any parts at all for these things, so I guess I have to order online. Who is a good (i.e. inexpensive and reliable) vendor to use?

2) The generators don't even start at this point. Am I on the right track with cleaning out the carbs, or is there something else I should try first?

I found a few youtube videos on tearing down and cleaning the carbs, looks fairly straightforward. Just wondering if that's the right path.
The jet in a 2000's carb is extremely small. You will need the finest wire in a torch tip cleaner to clean that jet.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:59 PM   #8

Try Honda | Suzuki | Yamaha | Can-Am | Ski-Doo | Sea-Doo | Motorcycle | ATV | Scooter | Parts | Accessories

They are very reasonable and treat me very good. I have rebuilt a couple of Honda Snowblowers and Craftsman Snowblowers, and use them for all my ATV and Snowmachine parts.
2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Northface tent/Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH
Lance Cabover/Prowler TT/WildernessTT/Tiltin Hiltin Cabover/Starcraft popup
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:15 PM   #9

First generator is done and working great. I still need to do an oil change, but the spark plug and air filter are good. I tore apart the carburetor and cleaned up the bowl and the jets with carb cleaner and compressed air. Put it all together, added some fresh gas and it runs good as new.

Now for the second one.

These are surprisingly easy to work on. Nice.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:58 PM   #10

And now the second one is working great as well. Just a clogged jet or something.

I guess tomorrow night I'll change oil on both and let them sit until my new trailer shows up (5-7 weeks).

All that trouble because I was too stupid to drain the carb before storing... won't make that mistake again!