Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #1

Hooking Up to "Public" Water Spigots?

Here in Iowa, most of our state parks do not have sites with individual water hookups, but there are usually quite a few water spigots placed throughout the campground. I've seen people who happen to be in a site close to one of the "public" spigots hook up to it, using a water splitter valve so the spigot is still available to the public. Just wondering what everyone thinks of this practice, if it is acceptable, etc. Also, if someone has already hooked up, would it be acceptable to add another splitter valve? I suppose at some point a lack of water pressure comes into play if both were trying to take showers at the same time.

Thanks,
Dan
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
lagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #2

We routinely reserve campsites close to the spigot in order to easily refill our tank. But we never leave the hose attached for continued use. Personally, if the campground is sparsely occupied, I see no problem with it. But when the spigots would see heavy use, I don't think it should be a practice.

Just my thoughts.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kave&Lucky View Post
We routinely reserve campsites close to the spigot in order to easily refill our tank. But we never leave the hose attached for continued use. Personally, if the campground is sparsely occupied, I see no problem with it. But when the spigots would see heavy use, I don't think it should be a practice.

Just my thoughts.
I couldn't have said it better. This is our practice as well. One additional "sanitary" thought. I always wipe off the spigot threads with a Clorox Disinfecting Wipe cuz you never know what's been connected to that

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
I couldn't have said it better. This is our practice as well. One additional "sanitary" thought. I always wipe off the spigot threads with a Clorox Disinfecting Wipe cuz you never know what's been connected to that
Exactly! We witnessed people rinsing large amounts of raw chicken (wearing no gloves!) at a water spigot in June. They looked like they were cooking for an army. They were very nice to leave alot of the raw fatty skin behind for the flies.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #5

I'm with the above. It kinda irks me when people do this. You want full
Hook up go to koa.

Plus what's the point of city water if you don't have a site dump?
Ecfeick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #6

People doing stuff in the spigots or boathouses like washing dishes or food drives me bananas. You
Seem to see it more on holidays which is generally armature hour. Lol.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
Site Team

I would never hook up to water that way. I have a 6 gallon container that I manually fill when in state campgrounds.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #8

Even if by a spigot I will fill at a out if the way spigot when I get in.

But u have ran a hose to a spigot temporarily to fill fresh. But now I fill all 90 of fresh even for three days.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #9

I only have 50 feet if drinking hose and almost never am I that close as I avoid the spots with the spigot right there as you have a buch of
People traipsing through your site
Old 09-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #10

Some people have little respect for fellow campers. Leaving a line connected to a public outlet is inappropriate at best. I don't care if they leave their hose [disconnected] near the outlet, but otherwise I have no problem disconnecting it for them. I don't want to piggyback on their fixture.

I have seen campers work together to chain each of their hoses to span maybe 150 feet so each can fill their tanks. But leaving something connected unless you are alone in the park is rude.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #11

I was at a MN state park last year that had a series of hose bibs up the center of the island. The park office when we checked in told us it was fine to connect and leave connected. We did not, but a number of people where hooked up to them. I would recommend checking in with the park.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #12

I was actually given a water splitter (Which I had to sign for) at one camp site. They was using one water tap for two trailers. I had to disconnect the neighbor's hose to get my hose in the mix. He left before I did and I wasn't at the camp site when they left but found them gone when we got back. Our signed for splitter was still there an hooked up... We don't drink out of our fresh water tank - just for dishes and showers so no big deal for us.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecfeick View Post

Plus what's the point of city water if you don't have a site dump?
I guess the main advantage for us would be that my wife and I wouldn't wake up the kids when we come to bed (our pump is loud enough to wake the dead). Also better water pressure for showers, wouldn't have to dump excess water out of the tanks before leaving, wouldn't have to worry about running out of water and potentially damaging the pump, etc.
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
lagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:09 AM   #14

THUS FAR, I HAVE NOT CAMPED IN A PARK WITHOUT WATER AT EACH SITE. IN OKLA, THE STATE PARKS I'VE VISITED HAVE WATER AT EACH SITE. THAT IS NOT THE CASE FOR "CORP OF ENGINEER" FACILITIES IN OKLA. I WAS AT ONE SUCH CORP PARK WHERE WATER WAS CENTRALLY LOCATED. EACH SPIGOT LOOKED LIKE A CHRISTMAS TREE. "Y's" ATTACHED TO "Y's" AND HOSES GOING ALL DIRECTIONS. WE HAVE NEVER CAMPED THERE, JUST WAS CHECKING IT OUT.
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:48 AM   #15

We camp exclusively in Michigan State campgrounds. All of them I've been to have low water pressure at the spigots throughout the campground, a nozzle that doesn't allow for a hose to be attached, and lest anybody try to get creative, a sign making it clear that connecting to a camper is prohibited.

Our strategy is to fill up when we arrive at the campground, and then typically every 2-3 days, I'll fill up our six gallon bucket (standing at one of the aforementioned spigots) and haul that back to the camper, where the bucket has a nozzle that fits right into the holding tank. While I'm filling up the six gallon bucket, which can take a few minutes, I'll step aside if someone has a smaller container or bucket to fill, but it's rarely been an issue.

I just look at it as trying to have good manners
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote