Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #1

Angry Horrible camping experience at Lk Pleasant AZ

We went camping this weekend at a gorgeous, gorgeous spot at Lake Pleasant in AZ. Found a great spot and it was close enough to our home to go back and get our boat to have for the weekend. So here we are with waterfront property and our boat in it's own cove. Plus a darling little island for the kids to play on.

All was well until evening. Once darkness hit, evil came out. Friday night, we had a group of younger people who decided to come for the night to party. Because it was a still night and we were on the water plus they were only a few hundred feet away, we could hear every word. And every word was profane and offensive. The kids asked what the word "n _ _ _ _ _" meant. Are you kidding me? So with three younglings, it was terrible. The horrid loud rap music, the profanity and yelling and the peeing all over the place and stumbling around towards our camp in order to find a place to urinate all the while talking about sex. Fabulous. It was hard to get to sleep that night but we finally did. Early.

Saturday dawned bright but windy. We almost went home because we had to take our awnings down and couldn't boat because there were whitecaps on the lake. But by the afternoon, the wind died down and we really wanted to stay. All was well until around 3pm when a car pulled into a spot that wasn't suited for camping. 75 feet away from us. Five young people in two flimsy tents and a 60-pack of beer pulled up. The language wasn't horrid during the day. But as the evening and drinking went on, the profanity started up as well as talk of doing a ****o and all sorts of horrid, horrid sexual conversations. Which we could hear like they were talking to us. So we put our kids to bed really early and I wouldn't even sit by the fire. The talk was so offensive. Just as we're putting the kids to bed at 8:30, they start up their car music to some rap song that literally had the words "f_ _ _ _," "b _ _ _ _," "n _ _ _ _ _." So loud it was all we could hear in our trailer. So my husband went over and told them to turn it down, which they did. Those idiots stayed up until 3am screaming, howling like coyotes, singing and stealing our firewood. I couldn't sleep because I kept waiting for them to decide to do something stupid to our boat.

We're so new to this camping thing and we just found this cove with our boat on a lazy Sunday afternoon. There was only one RV there at the time. We thought it looked idyllic. Now we know to find some place that is hard to get to and waaayyy off the beaten path.

We obviously did not know that these coves at the lake turn into huge party places during the night. It was unbelievable. It wouldn't have been easy for us to move but we could have just left, I suppose. It was so much work to get both the trailer and the boat there.

Have any of you ever had to deal with this? I was thinking of playing sniper and shooting people with a pellet gun. But we would have been the obvious choice. What have you done if you've ever been in this situation? Was there anything that we could have done? I didn't think the police would come since they weren't breaking any laws (that I knew of) and we weren't at a camp site with hosts or any rules. This generally works in our favor with our boys but not this time. And it is absolutely our favorite thing to boondock and avoid campgrounds so that our kids can run freely and explore their surroundings.

Thanks, Kim in Phoenix
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0390[1].jpg   IMG_0385[1].jpg   IMG_0386[1].jpg   IMG_0391[1].jpg  

2008 CHEV SILVERADO Crew Cab LT
2012 Jayco X18D
PhxKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #2

I do not know if that is a private park or a public one.. if private talk to the mgr. if it is a public one then call the rangers.. and if they are not there call the police and lay a disturbing the piece complaint. I did that once at 3 am and the police moved them out of the campground and out of the park...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #3

It's a state regional park. And the ranger on the way in gave us the Maricopa County Sheriff's non-emergency number and said they respond. I just didn't think that there would be any rules regulating noise but now I could just hit myself! They have a sub-station right near the cove we were at and could have been there in 10 minutes.

There won't be a next time but I will know who to call from now on and when to call!

Thanks for the tip!!

Kim

2012 Jayco X18D
Old 03-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
Site Team

Our State Parks have quiet hours. And they have a no alcohol policy. (Md. and Va.) A call to the ranger would bring them around to deal with the matter. Fortunately I have not had this happen yet, even during holidays when the parks were full. I think you will find this to be an isolated incident.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #5

Beautiful spot, too bad it was spoiled. I too will look for numbers before I might need them.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #6

It only takes a few clowns to ruin an otherwise wonderful time. Sorry you and your family had to go through that.

Like Crabman suggested, find a SP. Many have their gates closed after a certain hour and camp hosts are usually close by if you have to report problems. We've never run into problems... even when the campgrounds are full.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Our State Parks have quiet hours. And they have a no alcohol policy. (Md. and Va.) A call to the ranger would bring them around to deal with the matter. Fortunately I have not had this happen yet, even during holidays when the parks were full. I think you will find this to be an isolated incident.
Same here at Tx State Parks.Even if not an official park,the local cops could bust em for as we call it here a "P.I.P"(****ing in Public) or even a "public intoxication".
We as a so called civil society shouldnt have to put up with stuff like this.No harm in an alcholholic beverage but we should have some respect for others.Sometimes I feal as though my value system went away with the dinasors
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #8

Just call 911 and tell them you are about to start shooting because you feel threatened. The cops will be there quickly.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
just call 911 and tell them you are about to start shooting because you feel threatened. The cops will be there quickly.
Love it!! ; )

2012 Jayco X18D
Old 03-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #10

Lake Pleasant

It's unfortunate that this happened. In reality there are no secluded coves at Lake Pleasant.

Lake Pleasant has a noise curfew at 10pm. Lake Pleasant is also accessible after hours which means alot of people don't pay the park entry fee. If you did call and the rangers came they could site the offenders for the curfew as well as not paying entry fee which happens sometimes. Not paying the entry fee and getting caught is a pretty stiff fine.

Depending on where you are in the park you may not have cell phone service. If you have a boat you should have a portable marine radio and you could hail channel 16 for the rangers.

Sorry you had such a bad time. Todays youth are so immature and uncontrolled it makes you wonder where this country is headed.
LakeRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
We as a so called civil society shouldnt have to put up with stuff like this.No harm in an alcholholic beverage but we should have some respect for others.Sometimes I feal as though my value system went away with the dinasors
I love my wine, Malibu rum and Bailey's & coffee. But only in moderation. And yes, I believe that my values are not consistent with today's society either. This weekend was a great example to my young boys about alcohol and being inconsiderate to others.

We always get kuddos from others when they watch my boys open doors for me and lots of other women and always ask to help where they can. Camping is a great way to learn to help before playing. Our values are odd in today's world but I wouldn't have it any other way. Respect, honor, discipline and diligence are all traits we strive for. And this will be carried out by my young sons, too. We may be the only ones but that doesn't change us.

Kim in Phx

2012 Jayco X18D
Old 03-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #12

Amen sister

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #13

It really is sad when a family cannot enjoy a camping trip. We have had a similar experience and it is NOT fun. We now think that with us being in a trailer and most teens in tents we may be better off in campgrounds that have the different areas quite separated which fortunately we have at our local national park here in southern Manitoba.
Phar0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #14

Sorry you had such a horrible experience and I do believe it is an isolated incident. Let us know how your next trip out fares.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #15

Sorry you had such a rough time. Nowadays it seems that if you would try to do somethings about the problem that it would turn around and you would be the ones that get talked to. But I will say that the spot you had looked to be real nice. Hope that you haved better luck next time. Ernie
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #16

In 60 years of camping only had it happen twice

Both times in more recent times. In both instaces going over and calmy taking to the individuals involved broght things down to a more reasoable level. The fact that I was leaning on a long handled Axe and I am 6'2" and 300+ Lbs did not infact hurt my argment that it was quit rude. The second instace I was accomined by a fishing budy of mine who is taller than me and does not embrase my peacefull ways. In both case we enjoyed peace and order.

I was taught as a child that when camping everyone shoudl have a sholvel and an axe. As I gew older I came to understand why. :hihi:
Old 03-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #17

Smile

I love all you guys and gals. You are so supportive and wonderful. I feel hugged. I was fighting the urge to stay home for awhile but I am not going to let them win.

On the 23rd I have already reserved two spots at the campground at Lk Pleasant for my home educating moms' group to have a weekend of camping and no makeup. I think this will help me get over this issue.

We did just get an axe and I need to get a gun to carry on my hip. Used to have a nice Walther and I need to get a nice S&W with a laser sight. My husband is such an amazingly calm and nice guy. I can't even get him to get mad at ME let alone someone else. So I'm going to have to be creative. My Labradoodle won't help me, either. I might have to adopt a pitbull.

I just didn't think that the whole, "Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?" or "You better quit talking like that before I was your mouth out with soap" would work and I didn't even know how to relate to these kids. I guess I better prepare because I really would love to go back to Lake Pleasant someday. It's just so stinkin' convenient!

Big hugs to all of you and many thanks!

Kim in Phoenix

2012 Jayco X18D
Old 03-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phar0e View Post
It really is sad when a family cannot enjoy a camping trip. We have had a similar experience and it is NOT fun. We now think that with us being in a trailer and most teens in tents we may be better off in campgrounds that have the different areas quite separated which fortunately we have at our local national park here in southern Manitoba.
It is sad. But how lovely that you have a national park nearby. We have lots of parks around here for camping, too. We can't let the turkeys get us down!

Warmly, Kim

2012 Jayco X18D
Old 03-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #19

Kim I am really sorry to hear about your experience. We have thought many times since we got the TT to go to Lake Pleasant along with our boat. It has been several years since we have camped there, we belonged to a camping group and had our PUP then. We usually stayed at Desert Tortoise. We usually stayed in the dry camping area and tried to get the site at the top of the hill. There were some pretty loud groups around the lake but the campground wasn't as bad but the noise still echoed around the lake. The campgrounds were monitored by the Sheriff's Dept. We have gone there during the day for boating but that has been it.

We did like to go to Lake Pleasant and camp when the stargazers are there. They have an educational group that comes into the park along to other Maricopa County Parks. It is a great thing to do with your children also. It is a free program only park entrance fee applies. My DD loves it.

Here is their flyer in case you are interested in their schedule.

http://www.stargazingforeveryone.com...rams-Flyer.pdf

Which campground did you make reservations at?

It is frustrating when we have such a gem nearby. Take care.

Mary Anne
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #20

Guns

PhxKim,
You may have been joking about taking the gun to Lake Pleasant but let me warn you that there are signs posted stating that no firearms are allowed in the park. Do what you wish and be careful. On another note...Ben Avery shooting range has some campspots. Take your sons there and teach them how to shoot rifles, pistols, shotguns and even archery. If you're into that kind of thing. It isn't boondocking but it could be fun.
LakeRacer is offline   Reply With Quote