Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2017, 09:40 PM   #1

Hot Water Tank/ Plumbing Help Needed

Ok, need some help!!!! Or maybe confirmation anyway.

From what I can tell, the male nipple the elbow adapter that is crimped on the water pipe threads onto, LOOKS like that male part is threaded into the tank.

Is this correct??? Darn thing is leaking ever so slightly where I circled it in the pic and I'm hoping I can redo the pipe dope and take our trip this w/e!!!! Just need to verify/ find out what is compatible with the aluminum tank.

Don't want to take to the dealer if I don't have to. Warranty is up in about a week!!!

TY!!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7073.jpg  

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:08 PM   #2

I had the same issue last spring after uncovering from the winter. I pulled the fitting and cleaned it up good which didn't take much because there was hardly any thread paste used at the factory. Apply a generous coating of TFE paste to the threads, then a couple wraps of teflon tape and re-install. Should be good to go.....

EDIT: I should have clarified that yes, the fitting is threaded into the tank. Once the water line is removed you can remove the fitting with a small to medium crescent wrench.....
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:37 AM   #3

TT,

TY!!!

My frustration level was so bad I couldn't even think to call the "male pipe part" a nipple when I type the post!!!

Only reason I was looking for a leak there is because there was just a little bit of antifreeze below the tank. Not really sure why as I don't remember opening the bypass valves back up until after I blew the lines out again once I was don't pumping the antifreeze in. But it looked fresh and maybe it happened when I hooked air up Wed night to check for leaks from winter before booking water up. YES, we are just finally taking the first trip of the year. The leak is so minor I wonder if it's been doing it since new, and evaporates from the hot tank once turned on. The compressor (3g or so pancake) didn't even kick back on due to pressure loss after over a half hour, possibly closer to one hour.

You used both some paste and teflon tape? Interesting. Just hoping it is a pipe dope issue and not a cracked nipple. Anyone know of the top of their head, is it a 1/2" pipe? Pouring out and don't want to run out and get soaked before running back to the truck to go to work!

TY!!!

Old 07-13-2017, 07:14 AM   #4

I found that mine was leaking only when the tank was hot which increased the pressure. When cold it seemed to hold OK. Although there was a lot of thread paste showing around the joint when I removed the fitting it didn't appear that there was much on the threads. Normally you would use either paste or tape but for these particular fittings I decided to use a wrap of tape as well as the paste to hopefully improve the seal under pressure. When I reattached the water lines I used one wrap of tape only on those.

I would think that the most likely cause would be with a failure of the thread paste and not a cracked fitting.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:20 PM   #5

I'm hoping for a pipe dope failure, or worst case a nipple failure and not a tank failure. I had some warranty work done last Aug after our trip the first week of Aug, and because of back and forth between the dealer and Jayco we didn't get the 32 back until almost Mid- Nov. I think it was in Oct I went out and blew all the lines in with my compressor, hoping it didn't get to cold before I got it back. So hopefully it's just a simple fix!!!

Do you remember if the nipple is a standard pipe thread on both ends? Or is one end a "special" fitting, like a compression style? I think it's 1/2", so though about picking a new nipple before tearing it apart.

TY!!!

Old 07-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #6

Threaded on both ends though I can't confirm the size as I didn't measure anything when I had it apart. Just applied the TFE paste and tape and reassembled.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
Threaded on both ends though I can't confirm the size as I didn't measure anything when I had it apart. Just applied the TFE paste and tape and reassembled.
No problem!!! TY!!!

Ended up just coming home. Will see what "trouble" I'm in shortly!!!

Old 07-13-2017, 04:24 PM   #8

Mine leaked there to a few years back.

There is a short stubby pipe section called a pipe nipple, between the tank and the pex fitting.

I tighten the nipple and it stopped the leak for while. I think I tightened it twice before it completely stopped leaking. I never removed the nipple, to reapply pipe dope. If you do remove it, it is best to apply dope, the at least three wraps of teflon tape. Never apply any tape to the first thread, this garentees no contamination gets to your arators or valves.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:57 PM   #9

Well, operation seal appears to be a success!!! Attempted to slightly tighten the nipple, but it was pretty much bottomed so I removed it. Cleaned the old dope off, which was pretty well dried out. Taped the threads up with some teflon tape, and so far, so good!!!

TY all for the help in a moment of insanity!!! Not only was I frustrated by this, I was also frustrated with the granite counter install. Noticed a piece between the fridge and stove wasn't cut square, and started measuring the rest of the counter yesterday evening. The other part of the counter had an overhang near the stove of ~1-1/2". At the other end was ~2-3/8"!!! Plus a decent gap which we weren't sure how it was going to be when it was finished. But the installer who showed up today to install the backsplash barely broke a sweat and had it darn near perfect!!! It wasn't so much the previous installer (little less experienced) but a bad cut on the granite. The installer tonight has ~9yrs of tricks up his sleeve. And no, the granite isn't in the 32!!! ��

So a huge THANK YOU again!!!

And when doing an air test on the tt plumbing, make sure there isn't a leak at the compressor!!! ��
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7074.jpg   IMG_7075.JPG  

Old 07-13-2017, 10:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post

There is a short stubby pipe section called a pipe nipple, between the tank and the pex fitting.

I tighten the nipple and it stopped the leak for while. I think I tightened it twice before it completely stopped leaking. I never removed the nipple, to reapply pipe dope. If you do remove it, it is best to apply dope, the at least three wraps of teflon tape. Never apply any tape to the first thread, this garentees no contamination gets to your arators or valves.
In moments of frustration simple terms or names like pipe nipple seem easy to forget!!! Oh, well, just need to sit back this w/e with a barley pop (or two!!!) and laugh about this week, right?!?!?!

TY again to all!!!

Old 07-13-2017, 10:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
In moments of frustration simple terms or names like pipe nipple seem easy to forget!!! Oh, well, just need to sit back this w/e with a barley pop (or two!!!) and laugh about this week, right?!?!?!

TY again to all!!!
Make sure to have a couple good ones like Moose Drool.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:57 PM   #12

Quote:

Quote:
Make sure to have a couple good ones like Moose Drool.
I would, but unfortunately not into a ton of beer. Mainly the lighter beers.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:15 AM   #13

I've had to fix leaks in a number of plumbing situations. I've found that cheap pipe sealants don't work well. I tried Loctite 565 PST pipe sealant and have never had it fail to seal a joint. They also make a version for stainless steel pipe. Teflon tape is really a thread lubricant not a sealant and has the disadvantage that it leaves behind shreds of tape that will migrate to the worst possible place in the system.